Current high discount bikes shoot out

FSITR
FSITR Posts: 18
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I'm after my first road-bike, its for a long distance charity cycle (900 mile) and training in the 10 months up to it.

I have painstakingly narrowed it down to two models based on current discounts and reviews but due to my limited knowledge I am very very torn between the two.
I must first say that I have not tried these exact bikes because local shops do not have the exact models in stock, however I have tried the brands and to be honest I'm so new to all of this that I struggle to tell the difference!

The bikes are:

- Giant Defy 3 2015 £400
- Cannondale Synapse Sora 2015 £450

Both appear to have similar group sets and focused more to a relaxed riding position for endurance. I keep hearing 'bike of the year' however I believe this is for the higher spec models of the synapse...

please let me know your thoughts, which you would go for and why, I really need to make this decision as I keep putting it off! soon those discounts may be gone or they might run out of my size

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Both appear to have similar group sets and focused more to a relaxed riding position for endurance. I keep hearing 'bike of the year' however I believe this is for the higher spec models of the synapse...

The BOTY model is probably a carbon frame version. Don't overthink it, both bikes would do what you need.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Go with the one you like the look of.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    The original BOTY I believe was the defy 1, either way the frame is the same whatever the rest of the finishing kit is,.

Not quite right, while the Defy frames upto 2013 are Aluxx SL, for 2014 only the Defy 0 and 1 were Aluxx SL the rest are Aluxx. For 2015 the Defy 0, 1 & 2 are Aluxx SL, the rest Aluxx, the 2016 Defy 0, 1 & 2 are Aluxx SL, the 3 & 4 Aluxx, the Defy 5 is no more. Whether the OP would notice the difference between the two frames is another matter.
  • Both great bikes, so test ride both and buy the one that feels best. If you can't test ride buy the one you like the look of best. Simple really....

Vines :D