Shimano RS81 C24 vs Campy Zonda?

jplesca
jplesca Posts: 18
edited November 2015 in Road general
Hello everyone,
I am now in-between the Shimano RS81 C24 wheel set and the Campy Zondas. I ride a Cervelo R3 with an all Shimano group set but on wiggle they have the Campy Zondas for $420 vs the Fulcrum Racing 3 for $480 so I don't really see the $60 price difference is worth it for what is the same rim with different decals on it. I am also considering the Shimano RS81 C24 as good reviews and many recommendations came up with that wheel set. My only reservation is they are $550 so they are $130 more then the Zondas and it seems like the Campy are the more reliable wheel set with easier to service hubs. I weigh 85 kg or 185 pounds and I heard the Zondas are once again better for my weight. Thing is I like the Shimanos for their carbon laminate design, slightly lighter weight, and they are going on my shimano equipped bike. Both seem like great climbing wheels as that is what I am doing.
Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Have you checked that you can run a Shimano cassette on the Campag wheel?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you checked that you can run a Shimano cassette on the Campag wheel?

You can buy the Zondas with a shimano freehub. I own a set for starters.
  • All the wheels at that price range have similar performance. Just go for the one that looks good on your bike.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, not much to choose between RS81s and Zondas. Both have good and serviceable bearings and both can take the odd knock and yet feel very light when climbing. I have heard some folks mention flex in the RS81s but at my race weight of 65kg I have never had a problem. I do think the RS81s offer a smoother ride, possibly due to the carbon wrap rim. The Zondas OTOH, I find a tad harsh and have taken a while to get used to them, although riding good 25mm tyres at lower pressures (80-85F, 75-80R) has helped a lot. I would also look at Fulcrum 3s or the 5LG, and there are a few others that are similar.
  • Is there noticeable drop in comfort when changing budget wheels to something like Fulcrum 3 / RS 81 ?
    They are meant to be stiff performance wheel but does it mean harsh ride?
    If you were buying wheels for a sportive which ones would you choose ?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Is there noticeable drop in comfort when changing budget wheels to something like Fulcrum 3 / RS 81 ?
    They are meant to be stiff performance wheel but does it mean harsh ride?
    If you were buying wheels for a sportive which ones would you choose ?

If choosing for a sportive a lot of 'people' choose 50mm carbon clinchers :roll:

Seriously, it depends on the wheel, and harsh to one person is not harsh to another, the same wheels will feel different to someone that's a lean 65kg to someone thats a bellied up 95kg. To comment people would need to have first hand experience of the two wheels you want to compare.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    What mfin said, plus tyres make a big difference to comfort. Wheels which one person describes as harsh with 23c tyres at 110psi will feel a lot smoother on 28c tyres at 80psi etc. etc.

FWIW I've never found Zondas on 25c (GP4S and GP4000S) to be particularly harsh, and they're similar to the Fulcrums (same company, Fulcrums are Campag wheels for people who don't want to mix groupsets).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What mfin said, plus tyres make a big difference to comfort. Wheels which one person describes as harsh with 23c tyres at 110psi will feel a lot smoother on 28c tyres at 80psi etc. etc.

FWIW I've never found Zondas on 25c (GP4S and GP4000S) to be particularly harsh, and they're similar to the Fulcrums (same company, Fulcrums are Campag wheels for people who don't want to mix groupsets).

Everywhere I have looked Fulcrums come in more expensive than their Campagnolo twin. Racing 3s cost up to £40 more than Zondas and since you can get the Zonda with a Shimano freehub it make more sense to get the Campag version. Plus the spoke pattern looks so much better.

If you want to use wider tyres, 25mm more, make sure the rims are wide enough to take advantage of this. A 23mm rim (which is becoming the new prefered standard) fit with a 25mm tyre very well and add aero and comfort benefits to your ride. But, if you stick a wider tyre on a very narrow rim - 20mm or narrower then you get a lightbulb shape to the tyre which can effect handling. Both the Shimano RS81s and the Zondas are quite evenly matched here with the Shimano rims marginally wider but not enough to make much difference.
  • What's the recommended rim width for 28mm tires?