Sam Reynolds Rampage run....enough?

neilus
neilus Posts: 245
edited November 2015 in MTB general
Just watched this:
https://www.facebook.com/samreynolds26/videos/991031934280377/?fref=nf
I like gnarly MTB vids as much as anyone but this left me a bit numb. Just how insanely dangerous does this stuff have to get until some poor sod dies? And they'll wheel out the platitudes, "he died doing what he loved blah blah"...
I dont need to see, nor enjoying seeing, guys seriousy risking their life out there when the risk seems just too high. But the Red Bull marketing machine has to keep rolling on I guess...
Fair play to the guy though!!

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Wow that video was freaking awesome!!! You've either got it or you haven't, that guy definitely has it!!!

Thanks for sharing that, great to see people pushing the boundaries :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That run was incredible, a future winner.
    It looks a lot more dangerous than it is. The reason they have Rampage in Utah instead of the Alps is the rocks are incredibly soft sandstone and the dirt is like dust. That means riders can take huge crashes and not get too badly hurt.
    A couple of my mates occasionally ride with Sam Reynolds, he's no loony with a death wish. Like all the Rampage competitors he considers what could go wrong with a trick and what the consequence is.
    Riders don't have to go to Rampage, there's no big prize money to force them in to it. They want to be there. I know a couple pro riders who would love to get an invite to Rampage. I would quite like a run down the mountain myself, I might miss the Canyon gap though!
    There are much more dangerous mountain bike events, like Redbull Hardline and world cup downhill races.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am on the fence about events like this, indeed a lot of the Red Bull marketing events like Hardline and that stupid Chinese steps thing last year.

They are definitely driven toward the extreme although in the case of Rampage I do think the risk is less than it might appear - for sure you don't voluntarily want to fall off any of those edges but its heavily prepared terrain and the risks are weighed (Paul Bas sadly is an example of what can happen if it goes wrong though).

Red Bull represents a big sponsor in many extreme sports and their live coverage of DH and XC along with Joyride and Rampage and so on are big plus for our sport. But sometimes they do tempt people beyond their safety boundaries with cash lures which is unacceptable - the guy who did the moto jump onto a building for $2m the other year and pretty much gave up riding after it because it terrified him so much would be one example (at least he got his retirement sorted). I realize people can say no to anything but when you are wearing one of their helmets every day does the ability to say no get reduced?

I haven't really worked out how Red Bull can possibly make enough money to sponsor everything they do. Do they sell that much of their poison?!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited October 2015
    I haven't really worked out how Red Bull can possibly make enough money to sponsor everything they do. Do they sell that much of their poison?!

That's what I've never been able to figure out. As far as I'm aware they only make one product and as far as I know I'm the only person who buys it. And I probably buy three cans a month. And, somehow, off my £4.50 a month they manage to run an F1 team. So, I've decided to stop buying Red Bull and start my own F1 team. So keep an eye open as I'm hoping to be on the grid for the 2016 season.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192

That's what I've never been able to figure out. As far as I'm aware they only make one product and as far as I know I'm the only person why buys it. And I probably by three can a month. And, somehow, off my £4.50 a month they manage to run an F1 team. So, I've decided to stop buying Red Bull and start my own F1 team. So keep an eye open as I'm hoping to be on the grid for the 2016 season.

Reckon you would only need a pair of clapped out Vauxhall Cavalier's to beat the Maclaren's at the moment

Only ever had Redbull with Vodka,and that was about 15 years ago,did see a can Valentino Rossi's Monster energy drink the other week,I was thinking 'surely you have made enough money by now not to do this'
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    You will notice Red Bull do very little other advertising, I read somewhere that the their F1 team generated publicity worth something like 50% more than if they had just sponsored or paid for it seperateley
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • neilus
    Do they sell that much of their poison?!
    Yeah they do. Over here "in Europe" as us Brits say, people drink this stuff by the bucket. Its incredible, get on a tram anytime between 6-8am and one in ten will have a can on the go. Well, that was until the supermarkets started producing their own brand stuff which is selling like crazy, you see the stuff absolutely everywhere.
    Would these guys be wearing standard protection?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Yeah they do. Over here "in Europe" as us Brits say, people drink this stuff by the bucket. Its incredible, get on a tram anytime between 6-8am and one in ten will have a can on the go. Well, that was until the supermarkets started producing their own brand stuff which is selling like crazy, you see the stuff absolutely everywhere.

I am originally from the UK and don't really recall seeing it that much aside from the standard vodka RB in the clubs.

Monster is probably more popular with the kiddies in Canada - they lap that sh*t up. Again I cant see why, its foul.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • According to wikipedia they sold 5.6 billion cans of Red Bull last year :O
  • neilus

I am originally from the UK and don't really recall seeing it that much aside from the standard vodka RB in the clubs.

Monster is probably more popular with the kiddies in Canada - they lap that sh*t up. Again I cant see why, its foul.

Sorry I was refering to the European mainland (I live in Austria) and the funny way Brits when they visit France or somewhere will say the went to Europe :) Didi Mateschnitz who co-founded RB is Austrian and people here tend to buy homegrown products....like KTM bikes...urgh!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    KTM make some pretty nasty bikes.
    Redbull don't come up with the ideas for any of the events they sponsor. They are all the idea of someone from the sport who then asks Redbull for sponsorship to fund it.
    Hardline was Dan Athertons event. It was kind of a reaction to downhill world cup tracks last year and the year before (like Pietermaritzberg) which were very tame and the riders didn't want to race, so Hardline was pushing it the other way to see how far downhill could go.
    Rampage was started by riders before Redbull come along to provide the funds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    It tastes like Calpol, maybe that's why I'm too old to drink that sh!t.
  • Angus Young
    It tastes like Calpol, maybe that's why I'm too old to drink that sh!t.

I love the taste of it. If it wasn't for the fact that it's probably exceedingly bad for you I'd drink it all the time.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    I only drink it with a glass of Jager in it...

In all seriousness though they are a marketing triumph (and I mean that in a good way).
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    . The reason they have Rampage in Utah instead of the Alps is the rocks are incredibly soft sandstone and the dirt is like dust. That means riders can take huge crashes and not get too badly hurt.

Errrr. you what? :roll: :lol: :roll: What is this soft sandstone you talk of. Granted sandstone may be softer than granite or limestone but its still rock and its still hard.... or do they have some new fangled bouncy stuff these days thats been developed specially over the last million years or so?
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's not very well formed sandstone. Basically crusty lumps of sand.
    I went climbing in Utah several years ago. The rock ranges from perfect, solid stuff with incredible features for climbing to crumbly rubbish you can break up by hand. Rampage is on the crumbly rubbish. There's similar stuff in the UK, mainly on the Dorset coast around Bridport area.
    Have a read about Utah freeride.
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    It's not very well formed sandstone. Basically crusty lumps of sand.
    I went climbing in Utah several years ago. The rock ranges from perfect, solid stuff with incredible features for climbing to crumbly rubbish you can break up by hand. Rampage is on the crumbly rubbish. There's similar stuff in the UK, mainly on the Dorset coast around Bridport area.
    Have a read about Utah freeride.
    Totally agree with this. Next time you're there launch yourself down 100 ft of cliff face and report back please.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have fallen about 60' off a climb at Indian Creek and down another 50' of 70 degree rubble and scree. Needed a beer after bit it wasn't too bad, just cuts and bruises.
    Would love to go back and climb Belly Full Of Bad Berries
  • Angus Young
    I have fallen about 60' off a climb at Indian Creek and down another 50' of 70 degree rubble and scree. Needed a beer after bit it wasn't too bad, just cuts and bruises.

You got lucky.
  • rockmonkeysc

You got lucky.

Not really, the ground is pretty good to fall on. We all took big ground falls over the two weeks. It hurt, a lot but nothing worse than cracked ribs. It's certainly a lot better than falling on limestone or granite.
    The snakes were a bigger hazard.
  • Angus Young

You got lucky.

Not really, the ground is pretty good to fall on. We all took big ground falls over the two weeks. It hurt, a lot but nothing worse than cracked ribs. It's certainly a lot better than falling on limestone or granite.
    The snakes were a bigger hazard.

BoIIlocks! I climb and, while the soft stuff is certainly better that the hard stuff (yes, I've bounced off limestone), you fall onto anything from 60' and only luck will help you out. Land at an odd and it's a broken neck, back, or worse on anything other than those giant crash bins they set up for stunt men. It's only a matter of time before someone doesn't walk away from a crash at Rampage.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Never fallen down a snow filled gulley? or landed on a heather covered, steep slope? It's pretty damn scary & hurts like a bastard but done it more than once.