Help! Re-learning to ride

Dea
Dea Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi All!!!

My name is Dea. I'm not sure if this is the best place for my post but I just got a new bike. I haven't ridden a bike in more years than I wanna post. When I was young I could ride for days without touching the handle bars. Not smart I know, I was a teen and had incredible balance from riding horses bare back.

Anyway, now I'm much older. I got on my new bike for the first time today and found I was afraid. I did get going but felt like I had no control and crashed. Strangely I was not able to control riding but I was able to control the crash.

They say ya never forget how to ride a bike. I wanna believe that but I'm also wondering if anyone has any tips and or advice that may help me.

Thanks!!!
Dea

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi All!!!

My name is Dea. I'm not sure if this is the best place for my post but I just got a new bike. I haven't ridden a bike in more years than I wanna post. When I was young I could ride for days without touching the handle bars. Not smart I know, I was a teen and had incredible balance from riding horses bare back.

Anyway, now I'm much older. I got on my new bike for the first time today and found I was afraid. I did get going but felt like I had no control and crashed. Strangely I was not able to control riding but I was able to control the crash.

They say ya never forget how to ride a bike. I wanna believe that but I'm also wondering if anyone has any tips and or advice that may help me.

Thanks!!!
    Dea

Its just a bit of time and practice, get yourself somewhere safe, a nice smooth cycle track perhaps and put a bit of time in. ( avoid canals for the time being) One issue to watch is that the bike is set up for you. Normally a good set up has you struggling to touch the floor, but whilst your getting the hang of it, put the seat a little low, so you can get a foot down flat. but not too low or peddling become really hard work

There maybe cycling classes in your area, where they have you running round a school yard or a park, so that's another angle

Oh and best get a hat and some gloves in case you do a have a spill