Stumped

ravenvrider
ravenvrider Posts: 198
edited November 2015 in Road general
I'm stumped and hoping for additional choices or inspiration, i need a new fast commuter, yes i know this is in the wrong forum but the commuter forum is quiet and usually aimed at leisurely commuting.

My current bike is an old Specialized Allez comp with mavic cosmic elite wheels dura ace/ultegra group and old but good upgraded finishing kit, i converted it to flatbar last year to better suite commuting which works really well but the biggest issue is braking even using swissstop pads in the wet on busy roads they just are not good enough, so im looking for a fast light flatbar commuter with disc brakes, i use my commuting time as training time so when i get my summer bike or mtb out on the weekends i can enjoy them fully.

I am 64kg and push hard on hills so the bikes weight is a consideration, i have narrowed it down to the;
Canyon Roadlite 7.0
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/fitness/roadlite/2016/roadlite-al-7-0.html
Giant Rapid 0
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/rapid.0/22034/83621/
Cube SL road SL
http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/trekking/sl-road/cube-sl-road-sl-grey-flashred-2016/
Possibly Boardman hybrid Pro if they bring out a new 2016 model.

My pick is the Canyon, it is lighter than the others and pretty reasonable at about £1085 inc delivery, the biggest issue is the others i can find with 0% payment options which would help alleviate any oncoming issues with my better half, but the others just dont have the spec and/or price to compete with it.

Another confusing issue is my work are looking into doing a cycle to work scheme which would limit me to bikes under £1000 which only leaves the Giant/possibly Boardman which dont have the spec but the discount is hard to ignore.

Why oh why dont Canyon do a 0% deal....

Are there any other bikes or options out there worth considering.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You could also look at second hand to save money.
  • Ive been looking at secondhand for a long while now as i always buy secondhand but finding what i want seems to be especially difficult as i need an XS in canyons case, small in Boardmans cube and Giants which proving difficult, i have even been looking at cyclocross bikes and then converting them to flatbar but often the hassle/cost benefit does not work out.

Hence why i am thinking i may have to bite the bullet and actually buy a new bike for a change. It has also finally sunk in that although i have spent an awful lot of money on my summer road bike and mtb which probably do in the region of 1500 and 800 miles per year respectively my poor old commuter does over 5000 miles a year in all weathers.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I too would look secondhand for a year-long commuter. The constant use in shitey and gritty weather just accelerates wear and tear.

Also (but I realise these things are open to judgement) I do not see the fascination with discs on a 'road' bike.

I did a long-distance fast-road commute for many years (although only thrice weekly) with caliper brakes and never found them an issue - as I still don't in my post-commuting years.

The issue for me was contact patch, not the stopping power of the brakes. The limit was the tyre.

I was a reluctant convert to hydraulic discs off-road and now accept that they have their merits.... but I would not go that way for a road bike.

If weight is an issue for you, I really wouldn't go for discs.

So... secondhand and caliper brakes. Not what you wanted to hear but you will probably not take my advice.

Nonetheless, have fun choosing and even more riding whatever you end up getting.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Also (but I realise these things are open to judgement) I do not see the fascination with discs on a 'road' bike.
    Replacing rims on an annual basis is getting a bit, well, wearing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Replacing rims on an annual basis is getting a bit, well, wearing.

^this

That Canyon has your name on it, 2nd hand is all very good but having to replace rims chains etc and the differences soon disapear.

As you said, nothing comes close to the Canyon, i ve a Canyon CF mtb and just ordered an Aeroroad for my daughter.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I'm stumped as to why I came into this thread.

The fact that so many people have come in but so few have commented, makes me think that you need to think more carefully about your thread heading.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930

Why oh why dont Canyon do a 0% deal....
    New credit card with 0% introductory rate?
  • i may have to bite the bullet and actually buy a new bike

But you don't have the money, which leaves the bike you actually want (the Canyon) beyond you.

You already have a commuting bike. It's just not exactly what you want. Your comment about the brakes is puzzling. Millions of people the world over ride in traffic with rim brakes, and have done for a hundred years. Properly set-up rim brakes provide all the braking you need. You don't "need" disc brakes - I think you are looking for a reason to justify going into debt for a new bike.

I wouldn't go into debt to get a new bike which isn't really the one you want anyway. Get your brakes set up well (bike shop?) and save up :D
  • I do have the funds, but getting a 0% deal and spreading the payments will make the conversation with my wife go far more painlessly than taking £1100 out of our account in one go.

Regarding brakes "Properly set-up rim brakes provide all the braking you need" i will disagree there, you may be happy with them in heavy rain riding through very busy traffic with lots of junctions for several miles, i am not!

Even with Swissstop pads on "properly" set up brakes there is still too much delay between applying and stopping at speed in heavy rain and traffic, i will take every cm advantage discs will give me in those situations. I have had a enough hairy moments in the above conditions to know discs would be better in crap weather and ultimately as i commute every day in any weather those are the conditions i have to make sure the bike i am riding uses the best options available.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    As has been said in a previous post there is a balance to be found between stopping ability of the brakes and the loss of grip between tyre and road surface.

I don't commute and rarely ride ride in heavy traffic but I would be cautious about disks. I rarely find my Ultegra calipers struggle to stop me.