hydration packs

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited November 2015 in Road beginners
i wondered if anyone uses them on road bikes? from what i understand mtb riders tend to use them. i tend to take a lot of water out with me and sometimes end up with as many as 5 bottles in heat of summer. i just thought it could be a much easier way?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• I dare say someone will quote Rule #32 at some point. Ignore them and do what's best for you.

The MTB crowd use packs because

a) a lot of full-suss MTBs only have one set of bottle mounts, so the carrying capacity is less than most road bikes anyway and,
    b) they tend to ride in mucky stuff - would you want to drink from a frame mounted bottle that's been splashed from the mud (at least, you hope it's just mud) on a wet bridleway?

If you don't want something on your back (I find the extra "layer" makes me even hotter on hot days), you could get a bottle cage that fits behind the saddle. Some of those take two bottles, so with the two standard frame mounted cages, and some large 1L bottles, you could get 4 litres on the frame itself.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    edited October 2015
    I can't think that a 2L hydration back pack would be comfortable when riding the drops, maybe ok if you only ever ride on the top or hoods, will also make your back sweat. You might be better with one of the waist fitting hydration packs.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    As somebody who swings both ways, I use my camelback when mountain biking and bottles on my road bike. If on a bigger ride I have a litre bottle and a 750 bottle plus if no stops I will carry a couple of bottles of water from the shop, nestles buxton water bottles seem the best as they collapse to nothing when empty.

Same here. 2 x 700ml bottles gets me a fair way and a top up is never far away. Just carry extra hydration tabs or sachets.

Camelbak just gets uncomfortable and sweaty on the road bike. Also if you put anything with sugar in it gets manky very quickly.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I bought one when I had a HTB. They are useful then as its quick and easy to drink from them. I ask like it for hiking.

I'd never use it when I ride my road bike.
  • Same here - 2*700cc bottles for long summer road rides, refilled if needed at kindly cafes.

Offroad, adventure X type events then it's the camel back, as bottles bounce out!!
  • I use 750ml bottles, getting through one about every hour and a half. I quite often only carry one and get it refilled at a cafe stop, but I will carry two if I think it will take over 2 hours before stopping.

I do own a camelbak, never used it on the road bike simply because I haven't needed to. I suppose if you're doing long distance social/touring type riding, it would be handy so you can carry more water and some supplies in the bag itself rather than in you jersey pockets, and I doubt it would get sweaty at low intensity. On the other hand, if you'd probably welcome a stop every few hours to refill your bottles anyway.

A third option is to stick hydration bladders in panniers and use longer tubes. You heard it hear first (probably) :wink:
  • Same here - 2*700cc bottles for long summer road rides, refilled if needed at kindly cafes.

Offroad, adventure X type events then it's the camel back, as bottles bounce out!!

The problem with putting 2 bottles on your bike for "long summer rides" imo, is that by the time you've moved on to bottle 2 it's warm and pretty horrible. I perhaps don't drink as much as some people but I never ride with more than one bottle. I much prefer to have a lighter bike and stop for a bottle of water if needed than lug 2 750cc bottles about. I guess our fluid needs are all different though.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Same here - 2*700cc bottles for long summer road rides, refilled if needed at kindly cafes.

The problem with putting 2 bottles on your bike for "long summer rides" imo, is that by the time you've moved on to bottle 2 it's warm and pretty horrible.

Surely the obvious solution to that is to just use an insulated water bottle and freeze the contents overnight?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • As somebody who swings both ways, I use my camelback when mountain biking and bottles on my road bike. If on a bigger ride I have a litre bottle and a 750 bottle plus if no stops I will carry a couple of bottles of water from the shop, nestles buxton water bottles seem the best as they collapse to nothing when empty.

Same here. 2 x 700ml bottles gets me a fair way and a top up is never far away. Just carry extra hydration tabs or sachets.

Camelbak just gets uncomfortable and sweaty on the road bike. Also if you put anything with sugar in it gets manky very quickly.

I tried my small hydration compatible Berghaus backback, that arches the bag away form your back(it has plastic inserts that do this)on my road bike, but it felt heavy on my back and I ended up buying bottles. It's not really an issue on my hybrid though, despite having done longer rides on that.
    I make up my own isostonic drinks with squash, salt and dextrose glucose and if I didn't empty it after a ride, it seemed to ferment, tasting vile. With bottles I tend to just take what I need and drink it all.

The problem with putting 2 bottles on your bike for "long summer rides" imo, is that by the time you've moved on to bottle 2 it's warm and pretty horrible. I perhaps don't drink as much as some people but I never ride with more than one bottle. I much prefer to have a lighter bike and stop for a bottle of water if needed than lug 2 750cc bottles about. I guess our fluid needs are all different though.

The camelbak chill bottles are pretty good at keeping drinks cool; the nozzles are good too.
    Or you can freeze one and a half bottles the night before, filling the half one up with fresh drink. This way you get really cold drinks for a few hours, depending on how hot it is.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Same here - 2*700cc bottles for long summer road rides, refilled if needed at kindly cafes.

The camelbak chill bottles are pretty good at keeping drinks cool; the nozzles are good too.
    Or you can freeze one and a half bottles the night before, filling the half one up with fresh drink. This way you get really cold drinks for a few hours, depending on how hot it is.

I wish I'd thought of saying that! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......

TBH it's never bothered me! I only use hydration tablets, so no sugary stuff in there, and I find a warmer drink goes down easier. Plus some of the routes i ride have no cafe stops on them!!

TBH it's never bothered me! I only use hydration tablets, so no sugary stuff in there, and I find a warmer drink goes down easier. Plus some of the routes i ride have no cafe stops on them!!

What about garages and shops? :shock:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For really long rides, frame bag with a hydration bladder works for me - depending on frame size, can carry 2-3 litres securely. Hose loops out the front, over the bars use a magnetic, bite valve like Osprey to hold it to the stem. Usually enough room in the bag to stash extra powder/tabs/gels for going really long - have ridden 100 miles offroad without stopping - refilled and done it again!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    I just switched to a road bike - did my first ride today in fact. I bought a Camelbak Mule a while back when I still rode a hybrid and used it on almost every ride. Sure, your back gets sweaty after a while, especially on hotter days, but you generally sweat anyway. I can store everything I need plus more in there and have no need for a nasty looking saddlebag, plus I like the fact that it's easy to drink through the tube.
  • I use an Osprey Viper 5 litre which is superb

Wouldn`t be seen dead wearing it on my road bike though. Would be like using a saddle pack.!
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844

I find it easier to drink water when it is warmer even on hot days and especially in the winter. Even in Tenerife at 30+ degrees there was no problem drinking warm water.