Which winter shoe?

turbotommy
turbotommy Posts: 493
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this is old ground...

I'm looking at the north wave range. Mainly because the gore-tex inners appeal to me. Should I widen my search? Anything negative about them I should know?

Thanks in advance
Cannondale caad7 ultegra
S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
Colnago c64 etap wifli
Brother Swift

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i'd say one that lets water in and out therefore dries quickly, then cover them in overshoes for warmth
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    northwave is the correct answer.

feet will get wet, however the shoes will act like a wetsuit and your feet will stay warm.

overshoes for me wear out and dont last, winter boots do.
  • I got the Shimano goretex ones which while good (and at a big discount) let in water through the bottom sometimes...anything I can do? Waterproof innersole?
  • I got the Shimano goretex ones which while good (and at a big discount) let in water through the bottom sometimes...anything I can do? Waterproof innersole?

That sucks... waterproof socks perhaps?

I've lost faith in overshoes for the moment I think. I find them somewhat aggravating to get on and they invariably end up failing in some way or another.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
    Silicone around the cleat, maybe? I wouldn't expect to have to do it on boots, but I use it on shoes.
    Silicone around the cleat, maybe? I wouldn't expect to have to do it on boots, but I use it on shoes.
    I used to fill the airing holes with blutack which worked well on a shoe if they have a large ventilation hole on the sole. You might also want to check and fill the cleat holes if they are elongated.
  • cheers for the responses!
  • Definitely overshoes. Wet winter boots take forever to dry. Get the right overshoes and they do last. Some, like Endura, hardly last a week but others (BBB - especially the non-neoprene) will last the whole winter. Then some good socks inside.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks for all the responses - although I'm now much more conflicted than I was when I started the thread!

I'd assumed that that the gore-tex inners kept the wet and cold out and the moisture your feet create so to speak help to keep your feet warm?

@ meanredspider I've only ever used neoprene overshoes (including at least one pair of altura numbers!) so I'll definately take that on board cheers.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I'm a big fan of the north wave boots, much beeter than overshoes. Confusing amount of versions now, I'm using the road version of the commuter artic I think and very happy with them...
  • I'm a big fan of the north wave boots, much beeter than overshoes. Confusing amount of versions now, I'm using the road version of the commuter artic I think and very happy with them...

Been happy with my Northwave boots. Have got them wet inside once in an absolutely torrential rainstorm and they did take a while to dry afterwards but that's not something that universally happens in most conditions. I suspect they would have dried out quicker if I'd stuffed them with newspaper. In most weather conditions the most that ever gets wet is the cuff around the ankle and that usually dries overnight no problem.

Had mine a few years now and apart from not being quite as clean they are still every bit as solid as the day I bought them and I've never had cold feet while wearing them (even when they were soaked :) ).

Mike
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    I've got some Northwave Fahrenheit 2, and they have been amazing throughout the winter etc. Super warm and as waterproof as any shoes are (or aren't really, given they will never keep you 100% dry in really wet weather)

But definitely recommend them.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I'm a very happy owner of a set of Northwave Celcius mtb shoes for my commute. I got bored of having to change overshoes every year because I always wore them out. Now as soon as winter comes I just switch to my Northwaves and they see me through cold/wet weather. Mine are three years old now and are showing very little in the way of wear and tear, which suggests I should be able to get a good few years out of them yet. They are a definite upgrade from overshoes.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm a very happy owner of a set of Northwave Celcius mtb shoes for my commute. I got bored of having to change overshoes every year because I always wore them out. Now as soon as winter comes I just switch to my Northwaves and they see me through cold/wet weather. Mine are three years old now and are showing very little in the way of wear and tear, which suggests I should be able to get a good few years out of them yet. They are a definite upgrade from overshoes.

They are indeed excellent. I have a pair that are a size too large for me. Wore them for a few weeks and so can't return them anymore :roll:

If anyone is buying some 45's, let me know. Could knock a few quid off (or buy some 44's and we'll swap 8))
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I'm a complete cheapskate and went for water shoes from the evil Sports Direct for about a fiver. Water goes in, water comes out. Dry by the time I want to commute home and high vis!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Definitely overshoes. Wet winter boots take forever to dry. Get the right overshoes and they do last. Some, like Endura, hardly last a week but others (BBB - especially the non-neoprene) will last the whole winter. Then some good socks inside.
    This. You should be able to get a winter at least out of an overshoe and its a better, lighter solution than winter boots.

Don't know why people beat up on the Endura ones though. I've found them fine and just leave them on the toes of my shoe the whole time. BBB on the other hand make bike gear out of cheese.

Anyway, overshoes are cheapish. You can afford the odd misfire until you find ones you like. Winter boots, not so cheap.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Definitely overshoes. Wet winter boots take forever to dry. Get the right overshoes and they do last. Some, like Endura, hardly last a week but others (BBB - especially the non-neoprene) will last the whole winter. Then some good socks inside.
    This. You should be able to get a winter at least out of an overshoe and its a better, lighter solution than winter boots.

Don't know why people beat up on the Endura ones though. I've found them fine and just leave them on the toes of my shoe the whole time. BBB on the other hand make bike gear out of cheese.

Anyway, overshoes are cheapish. You can afford the odd misfire until you find ones you like. Winter boots, not so cheap.

I've never had a problem with Endura either. Must have owned 10 pairs of overshoes, every single one has failed in some way, apart from the Endura neoprene ones. Still going strong after 2 winters.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Quick point. Get Northwave.

Another point. Get this year's new model. They've moved to a shiny finish which cleans up much easier. Last year's pimpled design was impossible to scrub clean (at least on the yellow ones)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Wintershoes?

I have shoes that I wear all year round and then just have overshoes for the cold/wet.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I've moved from shoes with overshoes to boots and now back again. My experience is with Shimano boots but my daughter had exactly the same with Northwave. They were ok for a season then let in water, admittedly I didn't suffer from cold feet but the let in water then formed a tepid pool in the bottom of the shoe until emptied. Took forever to dry out.
    I now achieve the same result with road shoes and neoprene overshoes but they dry out much faster. Ironically I found the cheapest overshoes (Planet X neoprene) outperformed Endura which costed three times as much and now into their second season still looking in good shape.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Another vote for Northwave, on their 4th season of getting used 5-6 times a week. Great shoes, warm and water proof, apart from the big holes in the top. Get some WollieBoolie socks to go with them and you're sorted.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Indeed, another vote for the Northwave Winter boots, this will be their 6th Winter and were bought to stop me improvising....post below is from Nov 2010 before I bought my pair. Long Sealskin socks + Woollie's inside and I've rarely had any issues.
    itboffin wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:
    have now gaffa taped bubble wrap around my shoes; nice and toasty on the way home but I'm thinking there must be a better solution

Oh i need a pic of that :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sdfxuw.jpg

wonder if I can patent it?