What shorts?

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm in the market for some new shorts, I currently have a pair of dare2b which are okay, but are getting a little battered now. I usually wear Lycra bib shorts under them so don't necessarily require liner shorts. Most of my riding is trail centres/bike parks.

I've been looking at the tld skyline shorts which seem okay, but would like some input from you guys for others to look at.

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    I'm in the market for some new shorts, I currently have a pair of dare2b which are okay, but are getting a little battered now. I usually wear Lycra bib shorts under them so don't necessarily require liner shorts. Most of my riding is trail centres/bike parks.

I've been looking at the tld skyline shorts which seem okay, but would like some input from you guys for others to look at.

I use the ALDI workware shorts, just above knees length, patch pockets for you money/keys and indestructible( so far) current on sale at £6.99 a pair,
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Endura humvee they are awesome..
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Recently bought a pair of endura humvees.. I quite like them.. My first bike specific shorts after ruining a few pairs of jeans and a number of casual shorts.

Got the camo ones though as the plain black ones look a bit geeky to me.

God value as they come with incontinence inners hehe!

I can't comment on how hard wearing they are as they are too new... What I will say is try them on as the sizes are just S L XL XXL etc so I'll say again try them on firstly.. I went for an XL although on paper I was an L... Far to tight on the thigh when pulling my knee to my chest.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I have Endura Humvees and like them a lot, but the pair I always come back to are Royal 24/7. Fit is just brilliant, very robust (crash tested!), waist adjustment and gripper is excellent (they're cut very, very well for riding in, no gaps!) and not massively baggy.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Endura Humvees for me too. My existing ones are pretty foul so just got some Endura Zymes in the Evans half price sale. These are pretty good too. Sizing is all over the place though. I'm about a 32" waist, had to get XL in the Humvees, with the Zymes got medium and these are a bit large on the waist!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Endura Singletrack. Better than the humvees, IMO, and don't come with a liner.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cubedean
    I've been to my decent lbs today. I tried some envees on in Evans yesterday and didn't like them that much. I ended up trying some fox demo fr shorts on which fit perfectly. Unfortunately they were pretty damn expensive :wink:
  • brianbee

''Awesome '' is a really strong adjective to apply to something as mundane as a pair of shorts. What do they do for your cycling performance that couldn't be replicated with a pair of £7 quid aldi work wear shorts ?
    Do you knock 10 seconds of the elapse time as a result of these awesome shorts ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035

''Awesome '' is a really strong adjective to apply to something as mundane as a pair of shorts. What do they do for your cycling performance that couldn't be replicated with a pair of £7 quid aldi work wear shorts ?
    Do you knock 10 seconds of the elapse time as a result of these awesome shorts ?

Why do you own anything more than something that will 'do'?
  • brianbee

Why do you own anything more than something that will 'do'?

I didnt realize it was a philosophical question ? But my question was what is better about the humvee shorts that makes them ''awesome'' when compered to the apparently ''non awesome'' aldi shorts

They must have some quantifiable befits to make them worth the extra cost ? So what are these benefits other than looking flasher
  • Chunkers1980
    Who said the Aldi ones weren't awesome?
  • brianbee
    Who said the Aldi ones weren't awesome?
    Me I would never describe a utility item as ''awesome'', its well made, comfortable, cheap, with a lot of pockets. but its not by any stretch of the English language worthy of being described as ''awesome'' No one is ever going to view them and find themselves in awe !

so what is it about the humvee shorts that make them awesome AND worth the extra money
  • Chunkers1980
    They are not Aldi and say humvee on them. Worth a fortune to the correct person.
  • brianbee
    They are not Aldi and say humvee on them. Worth a fortune to the correct person.

I dont understand your reply

I will try again, what benefit to my cycling would I gain if i threw my aldi shorts in the bin and bought the humvee ones as a replacement ?
  • Chunkers1980
    You'd look a lot more rad and get laid.
  • Chunkers1980
    FWIW, cycling specific clothing around the legs/thighs I find so much better than non-cycling gear. Extra stretch and movement in the areas needed for getting on/off and moving around in the saddle as well as rubbing.
  • brianbee
    FWIW, cycling specific clothing around the legs/thighs I find so much better than non-cycling gear. Extra stretch and movement in the areas needed for getting on/off and moving around in the saddle as well as rubbing.

The Aldi shorts which are designed as work ware with ease of movement being paramount when balancing on a roof pike for instance, are amply roomy and allow a full range of movement. I use them for yoga as well and can do the splits in them
  • brianbee

I get quite a lot of female interest as it is, though I put it down to my powerful shoulder and slim waist. If I thought my shorts were holding me back I might invest
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

I get quite a lot of female interest as it is, though I put it down to my powerful shoulder and slim waist. If I thought my shorts were holding me back I might invest

And not your modesty?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Chunkers1980
    [/quote]

I get quite a lot of female interest as it is, though I put it down to my powerful shoulder and slim waist. [/quote]

Is your other a bit gammy then? Perhaps if you had 2 powerful shoulders and some Humvee shorts you may get some action like every day?
  • brianbee

I get quite a lot of female interest as it is, though I put it down to my powerful shoulder and slim waist. [/quote]

Is your other a bit gammy then? Perhaps if you had 2 powerful shoulders and some Humvee shorts you may get some action like every day?[/quote]

To be honest one of my shoulders( my right) is slightly more impressive than the other, but then my right profile is better than my left, so I always sit that way out if im posing

But seriously, if all the expensive shorts have got going for them is you think they look better, then its something of a value judgement, if you actually care, when deep in some moorland or hacking round some woods covered in mud, what you look like, especially as the majority of the few folk you come across are male, perhaps if you wear your ''gear for going clubbing in ?

When I see other mountain bikers on the trail I am, on occasions, impressed by their bike, not uncommonly by their skill, but never, this far by how good their arse looks in their shorts
  • oodboo
    I take it all your clothes are from the bargain bin then?

Not everyone wants to ride in Aldi workwear shorts. No need to have a problem with people willing to spend a bit more on something cycling specific.

Strava
  • brianbee
    I take it all your clothes are from the bargain bin then?

Not everyone wants to ride in Aldi workwear shorts. No need to have a problem with people willing to spend a bit more on something cycling specific.

No not all, for instance my Armani suit came from Giorgio Armani emporium. But I wear that where the object of the exercise is to look good. I wouldn't wear it to go mountain biking or even dig the garden. Anything that involves me being covered in mud in 5 mins gets the ALDI work wear treatment.

I haven't got a problem at all with what people do with their own money. Its just when they are recommending it to others as ''awesome'' and cant give any actual benefits for it over a much cheaper alternative, other than aesthetics
  • oodboo
    I haven't got a problem at all with what people do with their own money. Its just when they are recommending it to others as ''awesome'' and cant give any actual benefits for it over a much cheaper alternative, other than aesthetics
    Maybe I missed your point then. Anyway, welcome to the world of mountain biking where everything, even mundane things like shorts, will be described as awesome, rad, gnarly, etc.

Strava
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    How bizarre that you would apply rational thinking to anything to do with mountain biking. It's a very strange mindset to go into something a frivolous as mountain biking and then start talking about value. It's all a waste of money. Every penny you will ever spend on mountain biking is mental.

And just because you can't tell the difference in quality between the crap they sell in Aldi and something decent doesn't mean that difference doesn't exist.

Humvees, they are awesome.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cubedean
    There is a huge difference in quality between the fox demo shorts and my dare2b ones.
  • Chunkers1980
    How bizarre that you would apply rational thinking to anything to do with mountain biking. It's a very strange mindset to go into something a frivolous as mountain biking and then start talking about value. It's all a waste of money. Every penny you will ever spend on mountain biking is mental.

And just because you can't tell the difference in quality between the crap they sell in Aldi and something decent doesn't mean that difference doesn't exist.

Humvees, they are awesome.

Frivolous? I just ride a bike and like stuff that works right at the right £/smile
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 102
    I have a few pairs of Bib shorts Castelli,Altura but my favourite are Gore oxygen they are a good short :D