Gloves that still work when wet

doug5_10
doug5_10 Posts: 465
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
As we all know, an actual fully functioning waterproof glove is a bit of a pipe-dream, best to aim for at least wet but warm! I currently have a pair of Sealskinz Ultragrips which are next to useless for a ride of any length in the wet. They may be waterproof but the outer fabric just becomes saturated in the wet. This combined with sweat inside the glove makes an excellent refrigerator.

I have a big set of lobster claws for when its properly grim, looking for something that'll be good around 5 - 10 degrees and in the wet (If its chucking it down, its usually a bit milder anyway). Budget not massive, looked at various neoprene offerings or perhaps some lighter weight windproof winter gloves from the usual internet suspects (Have BC discount for CRC if there's anything on there)

Experience based recommendations away . . .
Edinburgh Revolution Curve
http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/socks-gloves-mitts-hats-c151/mitts-c153/tuff-bags-goretex-paclite-overmitts-p878

I've got something similar to these. Just wear normal gloves underneath and put these on only while it's raining. Just a shell so they don't get saturated. Not great if you need to do anything that requires nimble fingers, but fine for just riding and they're easy enough to remove if you need to.
    More problems but still living....
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Castelli diluvio
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Assos Rain gloves - shop around. I tried diving gloves but the seams were in the wrong place. Also the Assos gloves have a nicer lining. I've found most gloves that claim to be waterproof do just build up sweat. I also find them very difficult to dry.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Castelli diluvio

I didn't like these. Much preferred the Endura FS260 Pro Nemo. The sizing on the Castelli gloves isn't great.

http://www.moonigan.co.uk/index.php/2015/09/23/castelli-diluvio-gloves/
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I spent 2 winters with these:
    http://www.wiggle.com/defeet-e-touch-dura-gloves-1/

All the way down to 0 degrees, rain or shine. Do not interfere with shifting or braking, don't become boil bags when spinning hard. Very good gloves.

Edited for spelling
  • I didn't like these. Much preferred the Endura FS260 Pro Nemo

Good call.

I was using the Assos rain gloves for a couple of years. They were really effective but they started losing their shape after a while. Replaced by Pro Nemos which have been great so far.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The Rapha Neoprene look quite good and the Assos I've seen being used by riders whose kit is provided by other makers. The Specialized Neoprene seem to crop up in the peloton as well
    M.Rushton
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I gave the specialized neoprene rain gloves a try a couple of years ago but found they just didn't keep my hands warm in wet weather - i do suffer terribly with Raynaud's though.

In the end, by chance, i found the £5 aldi winter cycling gloves to be amazing in the wet. They do soak up the water after a while but somehow still keep you fingers warm - although the longest wet ride i have done with them is only about 2 hours.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Gore windstopper waterproof ones. really comfy and you can still use DI2 :)
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I gave the specialized neoprene rain gloves a try a couple of years ago but found they just didn't keep my hands warm in wet weather - i do suffer terribly with Raynaud's though.

In the end, by chance, i found the £5 aldi winter cycling gloves to be amazing in the wet. They do soak up the water after a while but somehow still keep you fingers warm - although the longest wet ride i have done with them is only about 2 hours.

I've had the same experience with the Lidl offering which I assume are similar to the Aldi gloves. They are the warmest winter gloves I own in both dry and wet conditions. Sometimes too warm....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I have, what I think is the old version of what is now the Sportful Fiandre glove (I have nt got it with me to check but it's their waterproof softshell/Nanoflex equivalent) and they re really good down do about zero for me (though I am blessed with warm hands). Much colder than them and I'd be looking into your lobster claw things though.

The other thing to think about is just a standard pair of long finger MTB gloves which can do a great job of keeping the chill out for shorter rides. If they get wet you can just "fist squeeze" the water out...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nfkb
    nfkb Posts: 7
    My first advice : pick two pairs of gloves ! Change when too wet/cold !

Another advice... I rode under the rain a part of the Gent Wevelgem track the same day the pro did in 2015. It was pouring. This day, I tested a technique I already use in trail running in the mountains : I wear a pair of thin merinos glove under dish-washing long sleeve gloves. It was quite good ! Of course, my hand were damped by sweat but it was not cold. Give it try it's not an expensive experience !
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    I think neoprene looks to be the way to go, but don't think I could afford the Assos Raingloves.

Dug a bit deeper on CRC, seems most manufacturers have a neoprene model in their fleet.

Assos Raingloves
    Castelli Diluvio
    Endura Pro Nemo
    Mavic Cosmic Pro H2O
    Sportful Neoprene
    Santini Blast
    Northwave Neoprene Long

Any reason not to go Eeny Meeny Miney Mo on the best deal, most just under 30 quid?
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Neoprene is neoprene. Don't get suckered into High end cycle clothing manufacturers bull. I love Assos, I really do! But neoprene is a very basic material. Google your local kitesurf/ windsurf/ dive shop and get some 3mm or 5mm neoprene/ latex dipped gloves.

I got some C-Skins which are good when it's really pishing down. But of course, your hands will still get wet from sweat, albeit warm sweat...
  • My first advice : pick two pairs of gloves ! Change when too wet/cold !

Good advise, i've got some Altura waterproof thinsulate gloves that are perfect and cost a tenner.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles