Places to buy used parts? - Looking for a 2nd hand Fox Fork

WalterWhite
WalterWhite Posts: 32
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking for a Fox Fork 130-140mm to go on my 2010 Stumpjumper.

I've been scouring eBay for ages but they either have 15mm Axle, tapered steerer, or both..

Other than eBay, gumtree, and pinkbike are there any other places I could try to find a used Fox Fork?

Just in case anyone has one i'm after the following:

130-140mm Fox Fork
26" wheel
1 1/8 Straight Steerer
9mm QR
Steerer length 200mm+

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a Fox Fork 130-140mm to go on my 2010 Stumpjumper.

I've been scouring eBay for ages but they either have 15mm Axle, tapered steerer, or both..

Other than eBay, gumtree, and pinkbike are there any other places I could try to find a used Fox Fork?

Just in case anyone has one i'm after the following:

130-140mm Fox Fork
    26" wheel
    1 1/8 Straight Steerer
    9mm QR
    Steerer length 200mm+

Many thanks in advance :)

Thats the purpose of keep changing the spec, eventually otherwise sound bikes become obsolescent and your forced to buy a new(er) one

Why have you narrowed your range to just Fox which are a bit niche to start of with ? if you included similar spec Rockshock, for instance, you may have more luck
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    The for sale forum on teh singletrakc forum seem pretty active.

Also http://flatoutcycles.co.uk/forks/single-crown
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I think the problem is that once you get to or above 120mm the loads are greater so they were built with maxles, tapered steerers or both.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'd not narrow it down to Fox, firstly IMHO Fox tend to be more fragile if their service requirements aren't met. So I'd try and look for other brands - especially Rockshox (something like a Recon/Reba), Older Marzocchi used to be bombproof too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thanks for the replies guys,

I wanted a Fox fork because that's what the bike originally came with, but I bought the frame only.

My current Fork is a Rockshox Recon Solo Air taken from my old bike, and the fit isn't great on the new bike as the head tube is much wider at the bottom than my old Specialized FSR frame, but it will do for now:

AZdtFDm.jpg

The original fork that came with the bike has a wider bottom plate bit (I don't know the official name..). I'm kicking myself now because the seller on eBay sold the fork separate too, but I didn't think i'd need it, and I can see from the picture on the sold ebay listing that it has a wider 'bottom bit' (the part at the bottom of the steerer tube) and therefore would not give the horrible gap I currently have:

eQSvmbm.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Forks don't have bottom plates. Headsets have crown races.

Are you using all the right bits?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Measure the internal diameter of the headtube. You may be able to run an external cup which will allow the use of a tapered fork.

Iirc it needs to be 44mm to do that.
  • Forks don't have bottom plates. Headsets have crown races.

Are you using all the right bits?

Sorry I don't actually mean bottom plate, that's just what I was calling it.

I don't know how to describe it but the circular flat part at the top of the crown (that is actually part of the crown itself), the bit that is directly underneath the crown race. If you compare the Fox fork that came off the bike, it has a much larger and wider 'flat circular' bit than my fork that fills the gap.

AFAIK I'm using all the bits, the frame has an integrated headset and all the bits came with the bike and were fitted.

These probabaly aren't Fox forks, but you can kind of see what I mean here (quick google image search):

2016-specialized-stumpjumper-fsr-elite-650b-headtube-biketreks.jpg?maxheight=1600

As opposed to another bike that has the same issue as mine:

Stumpjumper%2BEvo%2B2010%2B004.jpg
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    The fork on the yellow frame is tapered and the one on the black is straight.

The fork crown is significantly larger on a tapered steerer.
  • The fork on the yellow frame is tapered and the one on the black is straight.

The fork crown is significantly larger on a tapered steerer.

Thanks, I was just using that pic to illustrate what I meant.

The Fox fork that came with the bike had a visually bigger fork crown than my Rockshox, although it was a straight steerer.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You don't need a new fork. Yours is better than a Fox 32 anyway.
    You need either a reducer crown race to match your headset or a new bottom headset cup with an 1 1/8" bearing.
    Fox 32's are horrible flexy things which need constant servicing to keep them working and the anodising wears off the stanchions leaving them useless.
    If you really want a new fork then go for a Rockshox Revelation.