Waterproof Rear Light

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Can anyone recommend USB chargeable rear light that can withstand our northern hemisphere precipitation.

I used the moon shield "copy" that planet x sells most of last winter and it only packed up towards the end of the winter. This year I bought the moon shield and after 2 wet rides it has packed up which appears to be due to water ingress as there is condensation inside the unit. The rubber grommet was properly fitted but it obviously didn't do its job!

I would prefer a light that can used on my TT bike as well (Cannondale Slice). It needs to fix to the aero post as using the saddle mount isn't an option for me due to the Adamo saddle and lack of exposed rail.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Given your issues with Moon products it may not appear a good recommendation but I'd look at the Moon Comet - mine have done sterling service on many wet road and MTB rides, been filthy dirty, wet etc. and never failed. Also comes with aero seat post fitting kit (as well as saddle rail fitting kit) now.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Knog Blinder 4 looks good. I have one and is watertight and the charge mechanism is clever so as not to allow water to leak in.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I'd hope Knog have sorted a lot of their products, I've had 4 of their lights and all broke except one, and that was just a crap product that is stuck in a drawer.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    I've used a Lezyne Zecto through 2 winters now and been out in some truly torrential rain with no issues.
    One of my riding buddies also has one and he's had no issues either.
  • dazz_ni45
    Thanks chaps.

Do you think the comet would be compatible with the TT seat post, or just the shallower aero bike seat posts?
  • Cateye rapid mini.
    I read one reviewer where they accidentally out it through the washing machine and was fine.
    It's not quite as bright as the superbright moon shield etc, but it is still plenty bright.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    you're right the moon shield doesnt fully hold out under UK conditions but i've found taking it apart (4 screws) then rubbing the corrosion off the circuit board and reassembling = good as new

i've done this twice on the same unit
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dazz_ni45
    you're right the moon shield doesnt fully hold out under UK conditions but i've found taking it apart (4 screws) then rubbing the corrosion off the circuit board and reassembling = good as new

i've done this twice on the same unit

Thanks. It is on its way back to the supplier today for a replacement but if/when it happens again I will bear this in mind. Still going to purchase an additional light though as a backup throughout the winter and to be used on the TT next winter
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I've been using a nite rider cherry bomb for my daily commute for 2 or 3 years. Still going strong and cheap as chips.

Peter