Frame Change

phills
phills Posts: 68
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Hi All. I bought my first road bike a couple of years ago, a Ribble winter trainer and have put about 800 miles on it since then (haven't really ridden it at all this year as have other bikes). When I bought it I didn't really know what I was doing and got the frame in 58cm. Since then I've come to realise that I really should have gone for a 56cm frame as it's just not comfortable and I'm stretched on it despite getting a shorter stem. A new frame is a mere £90 from Ribble so I'm wondering how difficult it would be to swap all the components and fork etc over to a new frame, or how much it would cost in a bike shop (roughly). I thought about just selling it but really love the look of it and want to get back out on it asap. Appreciate any advice you may have for me.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It depends if you are good with a spanner and a good at watching youtube/reading Park Tools! It's actually quite easy and very rewarding if you have patience and a good workspace.

The hardest part is probably ensuring the headset is correctly fitted in the new frame (I would get the LBS to do this - probably cost you about £20 but apart from that it's dead easy. Just make sure the bottom bracket is tight and grease the correct parts to stop them seizing up and rusting.

You can probably get away with leaving the shifters, stem and bartape (and cables) in place. Try if you can tear off the metal ferrules (rather than cutting the cables) as you may end with not enough cable left to put a new ferrule on.

I would highly recommend a box of specific tools if you are doing it yourself, which will probably sort you for life anyway and can be found quite cheaply (Ice-Tools or whatever from Chain reaction).

Generally it should take a few hours.

An LBS will charge you about £100 or so to build a bike, usually more, and much less if you buy the parts from them.
  • phills
    I'm ok with a spanner so will look at some YouTube then. I would like to be able to do myself if possible but having never done much other than change tyres and stem, it's a bit daunting. Will order the frame and go from there. Will look at tool sets too. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
    edited October 2015
    It's surprisingly easy. Park Tools, Sheldon Brown and youtube will all give you guides. Also try to remember what you are doing with the old bike and replicate it on the new one.

The order I would go is:

Remove cable ferrules (or snip them)
    Loosen the brakes and mechs and remove the cables
    Remove topcap and stem (and with it, bars, shifters, bartape and cables) and put to one side.
    --Stop here and take the 2 bikes to the LBS to swap the headset and forks over if you're not happy doing it--
    Remove brakes and install on new bike
    Remove chain
    remove chainset and BB and install on new bike
    remove mechs and install on new bike (and rear mech cable outer)
    remove rear brake and install on new bike (front is attached to forks so you can leave as is)
    replace stem on new bike and run all the cables. Remember how they thread around the front of the bike and through the BB cable guide. Also use frame protector tape if you want to stop cable rub on the headtube.
    replace chain
    replace wheels
    set up mechs and brakes
    replace cable ferrules

Check it's all tight and running smoothly then give it a spin around the block to iron out any niggles.

Also, speaking as a moron who breaks something first and then works out why by watching the clip, I'd recommend to watch the whole process first (for each part of assembly), then watch it again as you do it yourself, as often there are handy tips which the video tells you a bit later.
  • phills
    Wow thanks, that's a great rundown of the process! I too am someone that is great at dismantling things to see how they work but not so good at the rebuilding part. Maybe I should take photo's of everything before I remove it to aid in the rebuilding. Quite looking forward to it now so thanks for the pointers.
  • Anonymous
    Not to worry. The reason I've mentioned it in that order as this way you take something off the old bike then put it straight on the new one so can't get it too wrong.

Obviously you can strip down the whole frame and then take the 2 to the LBS to refit headset, but then you have to remember how to put it back together! Depends how easy it is to get to the LBS/the size of your car!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Take digital photographs of everything before you dismantle or remove from the old frame.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The Ribble Winter/Audax 7005 Frame has an integrated hidden headset which basically is 2 bearings that slot inside the frame cups. And is very easy to swap over. No need for any tools. Apart from the hex key to remove the stem and top cap. If you decide to do it yourself just remember the order of the headset parts as you remove them.

What chainset and bottom bracket does your bike have ?

If its Shimano, you will need a Shimano hollowtech 2 compatible tool to remove the bb cups. And a 5m hex key for the left crank arm bolts.
    like this
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-hollowtech-ii-bb-and-crank-arm-tool/

When installing the cups remember the right side (drive side) has an anti-clockwise thread to tighten the cup.
    The left side (non drive side) has a clock-wise thread to tighten the cups
    Both cups have 'L' and 'R' marked on them. Screw them in by hand slowly and use plenty of grease.
    Also when swapping the cups remember any order of bb spacers (in between the cup and frame) if there is any.

http://www.madegood.org/bikes/repair/fit-a-shimano-hollowtech-bottom-bracket/
    http://www.madegood.org/bikes/repair/remove-a-shimano-hollowtech-bottom-bracket/

If its a Campagnolo Power Torque chainset you will need a (ridiculous and fairly expensive) bearing crank puller tool to remove the crank and bearings along with another tool to remove the cups.

You will also need a chain splitter tool for the chain if it doesnt have a split link installed.

And a cable cutter to remove any extra cable length.

Mostly everythiing else can be switched over with a set of hex keys.
  • phills
    Thanks, more great info and sounds like good news with the headset. The bike has Shimano Tiagra chainset, not sure about bottom bracket but I assume it would be Shimano Hollowtech as linked above.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Yes it will be Shimano Hollowtech.
  • phills
    Good stuff, looks like I'm set then. Just need to order frame and tools. really appreciate all the help.