SPD shoe conversion kit - UK

bold seagull
bold seagull Posts: 145
edited October 2015 in MTB beginners
Does anyone know of a UK outlet for an SPD shoe conversion kit where you can convert an ordinary pair of shoes into SPD's? I know there is a US product that does it, can't see anything available in the UK though?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It would be a daft idea, the cleats would be exposed and walking on them hard, also you will have the foot a long way above the pedal, just get cheap SPD shoes such as Aldi/Lidl or Decathlon sell or you can get in the various sales.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bold seagull
    bold seagull Posts: 145
    edited October 2015
    It would be a daft idea, the cleats would be exposed and walking on them hard, also you will have the foot a long way above the pedal, just get cheap SPD shoes such as Aldi/Lidl or Decathlon sell or you can get in the various sales.

It's for my 10 yr old son who has small feet. He doesn't really need them but I have spare pedals & he's been pestering me. Was going to do it to an old pair of trainers that are on the verge of the bin. Not really seen anything his size to be honest.

This is the US version: http://road.cc/content/news/76979-turn-your-favourite-shoes-clipless-pedal-cycling-shoes
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Still looks like a terrible idea. Cycling shoes are stiff for a reason.

And it's pedals. Pedals.

Pikeys peddle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Still looks like a terrible idea. Cycling shoes are stiff for a reason.

And it's pedals. Pedals.

Pikeys peddle.

Don't know what you are talking about. :roll: 8) :oops:
  • The Rookie
    Awefull, compare the depth frm sole of foot to cleat to proper shoes, that rolling action will have a crippling effect on the ankles, those screws wouldn't hold in all soles (Vibram for example) and would probably rip out, the kit is about 50% dearer than a pair of shoes as well.

Stop being a tightwad and buy some shoes from a pedlar, though you may have missed out, Decathlon had some for £13 recently but not now, so you may have to look for bargains.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Awefull, compare the depth frm sole of foot to cleat to proper shoes, that rolling action will have a crippling effect on the ankles, those screws wouldn't hold in all soles (Vibram for example) and would probably rip out, the kit is about 50% dearer than a pair of shoes as well.

Stop being a tightwad and buy some shoes from a pedlar, though you may have missed out, Decathlon had some for £13 recently but not now, so you may have to look for bargains.

£13... :shock: :D

I'll keep a look out, I'm not sure he even needs them, but he's getting really keen both road, and off road so I'm tempted to indulge him a bit I suppose.
  • The Rookie
    Get some used ones perhaps?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Muddy Fox(Sports Direct) do Road and MTB shoes starting from size 3. £18.99-£20
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults?DescriptionFilter=kids%20cycling%20shoes