Steamed up glasses

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited October 2015 in Commuting chat
I have some mega cheapo bolle safety glasses for the commute, but now the winter* is here they keep steaming up when stopped at lights. This feature can be a bit tricky, as they don't tend to clear for 20-30 yards.

Any recommendations for clear glasses that do not have said feature?

*The 1st November is forecast to be 17 degrees celsius!? :shock:

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Save a fortune.
    Simply move them down the bridge of your nose when you stop to let the air flow.
    Push them back before/as you pull away.
    Sorted.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Save a fortune.
    Simply move them down the bridge of your nose when you stop to let the air flow.
    Push them back before/as you pull away.
    Sorted.
    This ^
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Borrow some "Fog Buster" from a swimming pal....
    I use a lot on my safety glasses at work for this reason, would assume that it works just as well on a bike.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zoggs-fogbuster-lens-cleaner/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360633102
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Must be pushed to close to your face, that or you're just hot stuff !?!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 793
    A tiny drop of fairy liquid rubbed in with some kitchen towel works surprisingly. You have to keep reapplying fairly often though.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Bolle Contours do the same in the winter months. As advised above I just slide them down my nose a bit while I'm stopped. The only time I have a real problem is if it's really pouring with rain; at some temps this causes them to steam up whatever my speed, and the combination of rain on the outside /condensation inside means I'm much safer taking them off.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Happens to me all the time. Just memorise the next 30-40 yards immediately after stopping, before they steam up...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Under these circumstances, the safest option is to not stop for red lights.

(I'm allowed to say that - there aren't any traffic lights on my commute)