My first fall today

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited October 2015 in Road beginners
I timed my first fall perfectly. Just rode out of the workshop after having my bike serviced and was about to turn into the road when a flurry of cars appeared so I slowed to a stall speed - practically not moving at all. I desperately tried to unclip but the laws of physics got the better of me. It was my mistake as I want expecting any cars to appear as its a minor side road I was turning on to, but I should have been prepared and up clipped beforehand.

I toppled over onto my right side in slow motion, much to the amusement of passers-by and motorists. Unclipped whilst on the ground and got up and rode back home.

My right shoulder and leg took most of the impact. Bike seems fine apart from a graze on the outside edge of the right pedal. I put it up on a stand when I got home and checked it over very carefully

Of more concern is my right shoulder, I grazed my knee slightly and that's no issue. However at the time nothing hurt but now, many hours later, there's a painful twinge in my right shoulder. I guess adrenaline at the time of the fall masked any pain.

For those who have had falls, at what point should I be concerned? I don't think there's any issues but I want to be sure as I'm going to the gym every other day and don't want to worsen anything!

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Use common sense and see what it's like tomorrow, you must have bruised something in your life and no one is going to be able to diagnose anything over the internet.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I was out on my MTB on the 31st of August and had a slight off.. hit a tree going at a fair whack with my left shoulder.
    got up after a couple of minutes and could sort of move it, it hurt like hell but still had about 7 miles to ride.
    Took painkillers for the next week and then the pain was livable. Was quite swollen for 2-3 weeks, and still is a tiny bit. i have most of the range of movement without too much discomfort but there are a couple of positions that still hurt a fair bit.

As i could still move it a bit i never went to the doctors/hospital as they would only put me in a sling for 8 weeks and i cant be arsed with that so carried on.
    there is not much that can be done to minor shoulder/collarbone injuries unless obviously dislocated/broken

Tried to go swimming with the kids yesterday, its still too painful for that but on a day to day basis i can cope.

So at what point would i be concerned: If
    A. i couldnt move it
    B. something was obviously wrong, like something poking out etc
    C. it wasnt there any more

you might want to lay off the gym for a while tho if it hurts. if it doesnt, carry on.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • rumbataz
    Not feeling too bad today - just a slight twinge in the shoulder, so I guess a good sleep helped. I'll have a day off the gym today and just do an evening walk instead.

To be honest I've not had a fall for four decades so was a little bit disoriented when I fell yesterday! I did look around for a group of laughing pretty women but all I could see was a couple of van drivers laughing out loud.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2015
    Congratulations.

It will be first of many. Everyone falls once in a while. doesn't mean you are a mong or anything. Look at the state of the pros who come off all the time. Sometimes others at fault sometimes theirs.

Just remember in future, if you must have an unclipping incident avoid doing it in front of a group of girls!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Since you fell expensive side down you might want to check you haven't bent your rear mech hanger; it's not always obvious. Can you still engage your lowest gear (biggest rear sprocket) without the rear mech hitting the spokes? Best to try this on a workstand; you don't want to find out it's bent when stomping up a hill. Been there and nearly made that mistake; fortunately I recognised the sound of mech tickling spokes and leapt off to investigate.

Passed a bloke yesterday with his chain in a knot and the rear mech ripped off. I did ask if he was OK and he said yes; looked like he was about to phone the cavalry and there was bugger all I could have done for him anyway...
  • rumbataz
    Since you fell expensive side down you might want to check you haven't bent your rear mech hanger; it's not always obvious. Can you still engage your lowest gear (biggest rear sprocket) without the rear mech hitting the spokes? Best to try this on a workstand; you don't want to find out it's bent when stomping up a hill. Been there and nearly made that mistake; fortunately I recognised the sound of mech tickling spokes and leapt off to investigate.

Passed a bloke yesterday with his chain in a knot and the rear mech ripped off. I did ask if he was OK and he said yes; looked like he was about to phone the cavalry and there was bugger all I could have done for him anyway...

When I got home I put the bike up on my 'cantilever' style stand (the type that looks like a large tripod and has an arm extending out with a grip). Hence, the bike was suspended which allowed me to inspect it in great detail. I went through all of the gears several times and spun the wheels to make sure everything was okay.

In fact, I actually wanted to practise removing and refitting the rear QR wheel as I wasn't that confident before. The bike shop staff showed me how to do it.

I'll check the gears again at lunchtime, so thanks for the heads up.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    At T-Junctions, if its clear behind I've cycled in a little 360 degree circle to prevent suddenly stopping as you've described. Only if its safe to turn around though.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    At T-Junctions, if its clear behind I've cycled in a little 360 degree circle to prevent suddenly stopping as you've described. Only if its safe to turn around though.
    That sounds a bit dangerous in case a car tries to turn into your road as you are circling. Easier and safer just to unclip first before you reach the junction.

As so much easier to clip back in with SPDs, it is no problem unclipping and clipping back in when necessary, rather than with SPD-SLs trying to track stand or circle just to keep clipped in.
  • Just one little note of caution, a lot of people live through minor bumps / bruises but they can be a hidden pre cursor for blood clotting which can sneak up on you later on.
  • rumbataz
    Just one little note of caution, a lot of people live through minor bumps / bruises but they can be a hidden pre cursor for blood clotting which can sneak up on you later on.

Yes indeed. I didn't notice any bruising on my shoulder or arm and I've just about got full movement back with no pain now. It was quite a soft landing, thankfully!