wheelsize 27.5 v 29

apc1
apc1 Posts: 49
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

Looking to replace 6 year old stumpie with similar (either new stumpie or whyte t130/t129)
I'm 5'9", weigh 72kg and wondering which wheel size would best suit me.

80% of my biking is XC but do red routes at trail centres too - Stainburn locally but also Guisburn/Dalby/Whinlatter from time to time. I have been riding c20 years but would describe skill level as intermediate because not one to fly off jumps - rather roll over tricky stuff.

Last time I bought a bike there was a real step up from my hardtail and thought the stumpie was an amazing confidence inspiring leap forward and hoping my next purchase will deliver the same boost to my enjoyment

Head is telling me 27.5 will be safe option but tempted by 29er because it will be a significant change rather than being too similar to my 26er........ but concerned agility might be an issue if I need to get myself out of trouble. Is a 29er too big for me?

I know I need to test ride but some testimonies either way would be good to hear........

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Both have their advantages and disadvantages but there isn't a set of characteristics which fit all 29ers and a set to fit all 27.5". It all depends on the bike as a whole rather than just the wheel size. I would say frame geometry makes a much bigger difference
    You need to test ride some bikes.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Choose a bike, not a wheel size. Also, I don't think you'll get the same feeling of a leap forward as the old stumpy is still a decent bike.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Choose a bike, not a wheel size.

There's a distinct difference in feel between 27.5 and 29. Choose a wheel size first then a bike within that wheel size.

80% XC? 29, perhaps.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Good question

The 29s I've ridden have had a distinct advantage on what might be termed as trad XC they have a moment's intertia from a standstill but carry an amazing amount of momentum in the bank. Some bikes slow down immediately when you stop pushing but 29s kind of carry on more than you'd expect and can be wound up proppa fast. The design has matured now and the later models - at least the ones I've had a go on - are actually pretty good

The 27.5s I've ridden feel more like 26s with big tyres. There's definitely a place for them and it's not the canal.

My choice would be a 29r there are clear advantages (and disadvantages) whereas a 27.5 would be the safe choice.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a 26" and 29" XC hardtail. The 26" is more maneuverable but gets thrown around by the trail more. The 29" is less maneuverable but keeps momentum well even over rougher trails. I ride mostly XC with a few red runs and prefer the 29" bike which is faster for my smooth riding style.

More to bikes than just wheel size so try a few to see what you think.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bikes like the Stumpjumper 29er and Anthem 27.5 have kind of blurred the line between 27.5 and 29 characteristics.
    The Stumpjumper steers better than most 27.5 bikes while the Anthem is faster than most 29ers. It's all about the whole bike.
    The only reason I don't have a 29er Stumpjumper is 29" wheels are still weaker unless you build them heavy.