specialized e150 sl forks.

CONDYBOY
CONDYBOY Posts: 15
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought a second hand set of these forks and the blue compression knob keeps on turning (there is no limit to how many turns it has)!
Is this normal? Any advice greatly received.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nope. If the knob is fitted correctly then the compression damper is dead.
  • Oh bugger!
    Guess I've bought a lemon.
    Is there anybody out there who has parts?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Specialized UK have a service centre to repair these forks. It's £105 to service these forks, give your local Specialized dealer a call and they should be able to send them back for you
  • Thanks man. Might give it a miss though. Cost me 150 for the forks and hub. Skint just now.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Is it seated correctly?
    You have to remove both caps to fit/remove the fork so it might just be a case of refitting it correctly.
    Finding a 25mm hub cheap is a bigger worry!
    I sold 2 along with my e-150 2years ago and no one not even Spesh had any left then!
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Thanks man. Might give it a miss though. Cost me 150 for the forks and hub. Skint just now.

I'll take the hub if you want rid.
  • Got it sorted. I pulled the whole thing apart and where the screw that holds the blue compression knob threads into is a hex shaped piece with a small allen key type hex poking out of the bottom. Where the small llen key hex fits into the top of the rod had become rounded. A bit of magic later and I have it working.

Sorry mate I'll be using the hub.
    You can convert i9 hubs to fit. Also some hope hubs.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Got it sorted. I pulled the whole thing apart and where the screw that holds the blue compression knob threads into is a hex shaped piece with a small allen key type hex poking out of the bottom. Where the small llen key hex fits into the top of the rod had become rounded. A bit of magic later and I have it working.

As far as I remember, Hope hubs don't work with the 25mm Specialized axle.
  • sniper68
    Got it sorted. I pulled the whole thing apart and where the screw that holds the blue compression knob threads into is a hex shaped piece with a small allen key type hex poking out of the bottom. Where the small llen key hex fits into the top of the rod had become rounded. A bit of magic later and I have it working.

As far as I remember, Hope hubs don't work with the 25mm Specialized axle.
    They don't.
    Plus the I9 cost ££££s!
    The E-150 is one of the best forks I've used.....on the bike it was designed for. I ran mine from new for three years until it failed. Specialized replaced it with an S-works version and I ran that for a year. I then sold the Enduro frame and built a Nukeproof Mega around the E-150....and it was crap :roll:
    I sold the S-works E-150 to an acquaintance in 2012 and it's still going strong.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315

Tried to find those i9 hubs but they don't do them anymore. Just got to hope the one I have doesn't explode. :shock:
  • Thanks for your input guys. Jus went to fit the forks and the steerer is too short. Time to ge the big guns out and press in another steerer!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good luck with that.

Hope you enjoyed having teeth.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I think you need a whole new CSU assembly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Thanks for your input guys. Jus went to fit the forks and the steerer is too short. Time to ge the big guns out and press in another steerer!
    Woah fella,

Reckon it's time to cut your losses, sell them on and buy something that fits
  • Not a popular idea then!
    Anybody got a spare bottom crown with a 200mm steerer lying around for these?
  • sniper68
    Not a popular idea then!
    Anybody got a spare bottom crown with a 200mm steerer lying around for these?
    Sell them.
    Chances of getting a new steerer are low.IIRC The steerer is threaded anyway so a standard steerer won't work.It doesn't use a star nut.It has a threaded top cap.
    Try Contacting Specialized....although on a 7 year old fork I doubt they'd have a spare...they were short on stuff when I last tried in 2012!
    The hub bearings are readily available but that doesn't help.
  • Ibbo68, you do remember correctly it is a threaded top fixing and not a star, surely a star fitting would work just aswell as it only has to compress enough for the bearings and is not under any great load. But maybe you're right. Cut my loses and run. Or maybe not....

I'll get back to you all with updates as and when.
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cheers cooldad.
    I checked and even bottomed out I have enough stanchion to cope with an inch longer steerer. Spoken to some engineering mates and they're gonna heat the whole thing then cool the steerer tube with pressure being applied in a hydraulic press. Worth a shot. As the steerer only takes lateral load it should work fine with a replacement pressed in.
  • Got it sorted at the weekend. My mates did the steerer tube swap and they say it's good for a six 'G' impact (which they reckon it'll never need to do!). They said that after baking the yolk/triple tree, and cooling the steerer tube with liquid nitrogen, the steerer pretty much just dropped out with almost no pressure being applied.

Thanks to all for the input.