Choice of Rockshox For XC Racing ???????

Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
edited October 2015 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

Got myself into a dilema and some serious head scratching......

I've ended up with two lots of Rockshox SID's.

One 2009 with 100mm travel and QR.

One 2012 with 120mm travel with a 15mm Maxle.

Which would you use for XC Racing ???

If it helps, I'm 70kg, go fast on the flat and uphil and am more cautious downhill.

Thanks,

Pat.
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    What bike? Do you have wheels that fit both? What has your weight or how you ride got to do with it?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Avoneer
    On one Whippet.

Wheels fit either.

Pressume light person would be able to set 120's on soft and get full travel.
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends entirely on how you like the bike to feel. The 120mm fork will improve stability but possibly at the expense of some climbing ability.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    You should set up any fork to have the right amount of sag for your weight and you will get full travel when needed. Personally I would go for the 120mm forks for the stiffer front end provided by the Maxle but my guess would be the longer forks sit the bike up a little more and may give you more confidence on the downs. However, you don't win xc races on the downs so maybe lighter shorter forks would give you more benefits?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 100mm, lower front end, lighter, sorted for XC racing

You may find you can swap the lowers putting the Maxle onto the 100mm forks, I understand you could if they were both 2009/10, not sure about a 2012 (not hard to find out by trial and error), but the 26" 100mm SID is pretty stiff so adding weight with the Maxle may not make you any faster
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Avoneer
    Cheers.

The consensus seems to be 100mm with Maxle.

I'm pretty sure the 120's can be limited to 100 mm travel.

Pat.
  • The Rookie
    The 2012 I believe can't, it needs a new air shaft. Plus it would still have the longer uppers I believe that are part of the 120mm and weigh more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My 2012 dual air would only need spacers fitted not a new air shaft.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    2012 won't need a new air shaft.
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, its the later solo that does, that aside, it still weighs more and for XC racing that's the wrong way to go.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What damper does each one have?