Need a rivit gun with narrow nose to rivit on cable stop?

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited October 2015 in Workshop
I need to rivit back on a cable stop so I ordered a cheap rivit gun online.

However now I realise I need some sort of special nose piece for the rivit gun. The cable stop is designed such that one of the rivits needs to be accessed through a hole that's only slightly larger than the rivit. So requiring a long/narrow nose.

Anyone come across this before? :?:

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Had a similar problem on a car many moons ago. I just slipped a bit of steel tube on the rivet Shaft before using the rivet gun as usual. If you do not have any suitable tube a few small washers stacked on before riveting will do the job just as well.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    Thanks for the idea. I'll try that. I'm a little concerned about riviting back into the carbon tube, but that's how it was fitted originally so it shouldn't be an issue to do it again. The original holes look in good shape and pushing the old rivits out was quite easy.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Thanks for the idea. I'll try that. I'm a little concerned about riviting back into the carbon tube, but that's how it was fitted originally so it shouldn't be an issue to do it again. The original holes look in good shape and pushing the old rivits out was quite easy.

i would use a rivet with an alloy mandrel, not steel so ask for a soft set rivet.