Keep breaking Reverbs. Alternatives?

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am on my second Reverb in 2 years, and this one has now started sagging when I sit on it, and leaks oil out of the air charging valve when I recharge it.
Because they fail during the 2 year warranty, getting a replacement isn't a problem, its just time consuming as I have to post it back.
Ive just sent the second one back. If they offer me a refund or replacement, does anyone have any experience of any other droppers?
By the way Im 80kg, don't ride a lot in winter or rain and mud, so don't understand why they keep failing.
Cheers.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do you have it on a hardtail?
  • No its on a 140mm FS. I ride in the Peaks and trail centres like LLandegla and Cannock, blacks and reds.
    I think Im just unlucky. I fit and forget it until it starts having problems, and when I go to charge it, that's when I notice oil coming from the air valve.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have had no issues with my KS Lev Integra in 14/15 months - I had to add some air once when I had it stored hooked onto a repair stand my its saddle but no other issues. I like the lever although would prefer a Southpaw, and the cable means removing it doesn't involve a bleed (not that I have every had to remove it).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maybe your problem is a lack of maintenance. Nothing is fit and forget except a rigid seat post.
  • Each one breaks before I have had it 12 months, I don't think there is any maintenance to do on it at regular intervals like fork lower servicing.
    Obviously I clean it after every ride, sometimes it gets a bit of Fenwicks suspension lube on a rag to the shaft.
    They just seem naff.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Send it back to Rockshox for a service / repair, most people I know who have done this get a new one for the price of a service (£60)

For what it's worth, I'm using a Thomson dropper post. I got it 3 years ago and ride regularly. Aside from needing to replace the cable (cable actuated system) every year or so, it's been faultless. I've no doubt it'll cost a fortune when I do need to send it away, for now though I think it's the best post on the market.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    No its on a 140mm FS. I ride in the Peaks and trail centres like LLandegla and Cannock, blacks and reds.
    I think Im just unlucky. I fit and forget it until it starts having problems, and when I go to charge it, that's when I notice oil coming from the air valve.

Im on my second one in about 2 years, I just sent it back to wiggle and they replaced it under the warranty really quickly. I also ride all year round in the Peak District. I recently did a full seal service, bleed and oil change on it. Not very hard if you have the right tools.
  • I currently have a Thomson Elite. My previous dropper was the Fox DOSS. I'd recommend the Thomson over it, just purely because you can have the seat at any height and on the Fox you are limited to 3 positions - the middle one being practically useless.