So, a velodrome track taster session...

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,007
edited October 2015 in The bottom bracket
I'm not putting this in "track" because I don't think it belongs there. Those guys probably shave their legs and get hung up on positions and stuff and this isn't about that so I don't want to blot their streamlined landscape.

The question is, would a semi converted MTber like one for a christmas present? Has anyone in a similar position tried it? Did you die?

Light hearted banter if you may rather than geting all technical.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    I'm thinking about having a go at one with my mate that lives in Manchester. We wanted to do it on the same day as the beer festival but failed to get our sh!t together. Looks like fun, there were a few people doing it when we were in the beer festival. But most things looked like fun by that point.
    For sh!t and giggles I reckon it's got to be worth a go.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,741
    Only if there are norks at the finish line.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    But not Seano's. I think we should make that clear in case he thrusts himself upon us again. :shock:
  • This would be me and my brother in law (if his wife gets on with it) probably some time in January.

Wifeys norks may be in attendance but they are spoken for I'm afraid.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,741
    But not Seano's. I think we should make that clear in case he thrusts himself upon us again. :shock:
    I most definitely said norks, not moobs.
    No, not moobs, not ever.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    This would be me and my brother in law (if his wife gets on with it) probably some time in January.

Wifeys norks may be in attendance but they are spoken for I'm afraid.
    Beer festival is in January, unfortunately no longer at the velodrome.
    I'm spoken for too, but still enjoy norks. Does Mrs HD have tall blue hair?
  • Fortunatly she doesn't.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    As a slightly serious suggestion (I know - wrong forum) ...

yup - track taster session is good fun ... especially if you can do it with a couple of mates - if you're ok at riding they might get you doing sprints as well ... :)
  • Did the taster at Glasgow not long after it opened, and was so excited by the prospect of going round in circles until I got dizzy or my knee cartilages exploded that I immediately booked the follow-on accreditation sessions. And what fun it was....

Best "sh1tting my pants" moment - the first time you peel off the front of a chain and hit the top of the 44deg banking, looking down to see them other blokes passing 15 feet below you, then trying not to donate too much epidermis to the nice new pine boards as you re-join without wiping out the last man.

Second best "sh1tting my pants" moment - being second from the top in a stack of 6 riders going round said vertigo-inducing slope and hoping to god you don't get your angle wrong or go too slow and collect the 4 below you on the way down.

Best "woo-hoo" moment - hitting c. 30mph behind the derny at the top of the banking waiting for the hairy biker to peel off for the last laps of a keirin

Best comedy moment - winning a bunch sprint, celebrating over the line and forgetting it's a fixed gear. Ensuing chaos and sound of knees being ruined. Well, it was comedy for anyone not at the bottom of the heap at least. Oh, and the coach's sage advice if it all goes horribly wrong - "fcuk, duck & tuck" and "inside suicide" were amongst his more memorable sayings.

All in all, a thoroughly fantastic experience. I've never been back, haven't had the urge to shave my legs or use Veet for men, but it's something that will live long in the memory. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain