Advice wanted: non-slippery saddle

errecaldia
errecaldia Posts: 41
edited May 2017 in Women's cycling forum
I have to set my saddle horizontal so that I don't slide down it. When horizontal, it rubs and causes discomfort. It is much better sloped slightly downwards at the front so I can rest my bum on the back of it, use the front simply to keep me located side to side, but no longer have it rubbing away.

So, what I think I need is a saddle that is not slippery, so I can have it sloped and sit on the back of it. Velco would be wonderful! Does anyone know of a saddle, affordable, that dos not have a shiny plastic surface?

Comments

• I have to set my saddle horizontal so that I don't slide down it. When horizontal, it rubs and causes discomfort. It is much better sloped slightly downwards at the front so I can rest my bum on the back of it, use the front simply to keep me located side to side, but no longer have it rubbing away.

So, what I think I need is a saddle that is not slippery, so I can have it sloped and sit on the back of it. Velco would be wonderful! Does anyone know of a saddle, affordable, that dos not have a shiny plastic surface?

I had a saddle with a suede type finish many years ago. It wasn't slippery but it did wear holes through my clothes very quickly due to the friction.
    I use a nice slidey Brookes now. Never looked back.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Are you using a saddle with a cut out? The slope sounds like a way of relieving pressure so a cut out maybe the way to go.
    M.Rushton
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    Have you thought about dropping the saddle height? I'd second the idea of a cut out; without one I feel like I'm sitting on a metal pipe.

If all else fails, I know Prologo do some saddle with grippy bits on them. I don't know whether or not they're female specific... you'd have to check.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Actually we should know the type of saddle currently being used, the width and if the bike is perhaps too large making you stretch forward too far. The Prologo do have the rubber grips on but you may need to think about your fit rather than the saddle. More info would be useful
    M.Rushton
  • hi I tried grip tape: it wore through the shorts!! I tried prologo CPC saddles....good but expensive.....then I found sticky rubber used for shoe repair, stuck it on saddle and it works. cheap too.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    Have you considered a saddle fit? For women I think they are invaluable. Having had one, I use a very different saddle now, discomfort free even on close to 5000m climbing days.
    I now use a Selle Diva Gel with a cut out, and the add d benefit is that it is way cheaper than any of my previous saddles.
  • JSBR
    JSBR Posts: 13
    First, proper bike fit for girls can completely transform your comfort - it was the best money I have spent on cycling.
    The two most comfortable saddles I have used are the Selle Diva Gel Flow and the BodyGeometry saddle that came on my Specialized Ruby. Neither are particularly slippy and mine is slightly downward facing too.

It might be worth looking up a local shop that lends you saddles to try and/or fits a saddle to you. Different widths and lengths can make a difference too.