When's Day?

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited October 2015 in The Crudcatcher
Morning Losers!

Seriously, I'm on holiday guys. This place would be completely dead without me!

Anywho, funeral was fun, football was sh1t.

Today I have no plans, other than try and get a screw out of a carb, and maybe some more PS3 action. I should really get out and do some form of exercise, but meh, I'm on holiday!

Laters!
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Morning TKM,
    No other phucker here by the looks of it. Rather moist down here, so wasn't looking forward to the ride in. Then the Mrs mentioned she would be about 10 minutes late leaving work. I took this to mean that she was asking if I would driver her in and then pick her up on my way home. Being a chivalrous kind of chap I agreed. As it's Wetnesday this means pub later, this is a very good thing.
    Onwards, to mediocrity...
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Morning rat race competitors,

Only just up here but another beautiful french day in the Vienne. Tractor out post breakfast to make the grass shorter then generic box unpacking and plenty of arguments about where stuff is going to live as the house is getting as cramped as a migrant boat off Italy!
    Toodley pip.
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Started posting but got disturbed, sorry TKM!

In Solihull it's rather wet, good run but now damp kit in the car - so it will stink later
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Afternoon fudgers. Sod all going on here its wet. Was going to ride in but realised I dont actually have any waterproof trousers. not much going on at work plannign a little spin tonight bit of last minute training for an 83 mile ride Sunday
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Started posting but got disturbed, sorry TKM!

In Solihull it's rather wet, good run but now damp kit in the car - so it will stink later

Is it Matthew H's corpse in your boot?

Afternoon mongs,

Pretending to be busy looking and invoices and P&Ls. Mostly just drinking coffee and planning what to have for lunch. Winding down already, going to be a long 9 weeks before I get out of here!

Laters
  • veronese68
    Was going to ride in but realised I dont actually have any waterproof trousers.
    There may have been a thread somewhere on here about some new waterproof trousers coming soon on kickstarter.
  • The screw is out! I cut a wedge in it using my junior coping saw, then ended up using my grips and getting it out.
    Problem is, inside the carb looked pretty clean! I've squirted some carb cleaner everywhere, and hopefully it'll be enough, but I'm doubting it. This might mean either the carbs need recalibrating or something else is wrong, possibly to do with the air flow.
    If it doesn't work, the bike may be being binned.

Now off to buy a new screw.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Someone mentioned football and Stevo didn't pop up, Chelsea must have had a bad night.

Smelly car an excuse for a new car?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    smelly fanny is cause for a new current wife, not sure about cars though.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Afternoon saddle sniffers,

Got dirty this morning on the ride here, not too wet though. Clothes are still drying out and getting nice and crusty in the server room ready for my ride home. Long day today as I've been a lazy cnut and need to make up some hours. This means I'll be riding home in the dark for the first time this year. I like dark.

Laters
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    smelly fanny is cause for a new current wife, not sure about cars though.

Maybe TLW's wife is in the boot. :roll: He must be a chivalrous as VN68.

Where the farq is everybody?

I detect some plagiarism:

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=13038478#p19726964
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why would you copy a roadie? You lot need to know the boundaries.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    This thread started 20 minutes earlier than that one. Roadies copied TKM.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • veronese68
    Well done on getting your screw loose TKM. Mixture can be affected by float levels that can affect your carburation. See if there is a setting listed and check carefully how it is measured.
    What were the original symptoms and what bike is it? Can't remember if that's been mentioned.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Why would you copy a roadie?
    For a fancy dress party?

Evening Fisters, tomorrow is my Friday. That's about all.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Well done on getting your screw loose TKM. Mixture can be affected by float levels that can affect your carburation. See if there is a setting listed and check carefully how it is measured.
    What were the original symptoms and what bike is it? Can't remember if that's been mentioned.
    Honda CBF500, basically, anything over about 5k RPM and the bike sounds like it can't move any more, it judders and jumps. This means I can't get over about 50mph unless going downhill.

Hmm mixtures and stuff sound like a step too far for me.

Someone somewhere said that it sounded like not enough air was getting into the tank, and a part of me thinks they may be onto something as my very original thought was that it was an air intake problem.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • veronese68
    Someone somewhere said that it sounded like not enough air was getting into the tank, and a part of me thinks they may be onto something as my very original thought was that it was an air intake problem.
    Get it up to the point it starts spluttering then open the petrol cap and see what happens. Only do this if you have a spare key, don't use the one in the ignition. I'm sure you don't need to be told that, but TLW would.
  • Hahaha ok. What should I be looking out for?
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • veronese68
    If there is a vacuum forming in the tank as not enough air is getting in it will suddenly clear it's throat and pull normally. I doubt it will happen because lack of air getting into the tank will only happen after you've used a fair chunk of fuel on a long run.
    Could be something else causing fuel starvation though. Is there a pump or is it just gravity fed? If there is a fuel filter is it clear? Can you bypass the filter to eliminate that?
    When it starts running badly and you can't rev pull the clutch in and kill the ignition as quickly and safely as you can. Pull over to the side and have a look at the plugs. The colour of the plugs will tell you if it's too lean or too rich. Probably too lean. Again, only do this in a safe place which may prove tricky.
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    If there is a vacuum forming in the tank as not enough air is getting in it will suddenly clear it's throat and pull normally. I doubt it will happen because lack of air getting into the tank will only happen after you've used a fair chunk of fuel on a long run.
    Could be something else causing fuel starvation though. Is there a pump or is it just gravity fed? If there is a fuel filter is it clear? Can you bypass the filter to eliminate that?
    When it starts running badly and you can't rev pull the clutch in and kill the ignition as quickly and safely as you can. Pull over to the side and have a look at the plugs. The colour of the plugs will tell you if it's too lean or too rich. Probably too lean. Again, only do this in a safe place which may prove tricky.

Or just torch it and claim on the insurance!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • If there is a vacuum forming in the tank as not enough air is getting in it will suddenly clear it's throat and pull normally. I doubt it will happen because lack of air getting into the tank will only happen after you've used a fair chunk of fuel on a long run.
    Well, if I ever getting running again, I'll see what i can do. Do you mean the spark plugs? Just changed them, and no change at all.

I've been stupid and not remembered what hoses go where. I'm left with the fuel hose that goes from the tank to... well, I'm not sure. At the moment, the street, so I've stopped that. My guess is it's meant to go into the carbs, however that means I have something else plugged in that shouldn't be, and I don't know where that would go!
    Feck, is a word I used a lot. Well, it sounds a bit like that. :evil:
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Or just torch it and claim on the insurance!
    This is very, very tempting.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Silly question: Is there a spring in the float chamber?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    Do you mean the spark plugs? Just changed them, and no change at all.
    Yes, but you're not changing them. If you can stop the engine at the point it is misbehaving and take a plug out to look at it this gives you a clue as to what is happening in the combustion chamber. Is it lean, rich, oily, or whatever. Like this:
    spark-plugs-guide.jpg
  • Silly question: Is there a spring in the float chamber?
    No, it doesn't work off a spring. Inside the carbs is completely fine, everything looks brand new!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Do you mean the spark plugs? Just changed them, and no change at all.
    Yes, but you're not changing them. If you can stop the engine at the point it is misbehaving and take a plug out to look at it this gives you a clue as to what is happening in the combustion chamber. Is it lean, rich, oily, or whatever. Like this:
    Ahh I see what you mean. I'll have to have a look. Once I've figured out where the pipes are meant to go, I'll take it out for a ride and then check the spark plugs with that chart. Thanks for that!

UPDATE: So, I finally found where the fuel hose went, to a tiny black nozzle that was hidden under the carbs. It was impossible to see yesterday as the sun was shining in my eyes, today was much easier.

Taken it out, still misbehaving. I got it up on its centre stand and went through the gears, seems fine, it must be struggling with my weight :lol: Tomorrow I'm going to check the sparks, I'm giving up for today
    Blender Cube AMS Pro