Wahoo turbo training - mtb specific stuff

antludlow
antludlow Posts: 22
edited December 2015 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all.

I've decided that I need to get a lot better on the climbs following a pretty rubbish enduro performance and as time on the bike is something that can be difficult to find with family etc, I have decided to mix up my gym training (3 times a week) with some turbo work in the garage in the mornings.

I am thinking of investing in a Wahoo Kickr, or similar (recommendations?), but what I would like to know is if any of the 'smart/social training' programs are available for Mtb specific stuff. So ie, sufferfest or Zwift, do you know of anything that might be able to help me?

Also, for those of you with a Wahoo, how easy is it to get the bike on and off?

Thanks

Comments

• I don't really know of MTB specific stuff as it's pretty difficult to simulate MTB courses on a turbo, so you're back to just putting in efforts, in which case MTB or road bike, makes little difference.

The thing I would advise first and foremost is get a smart trainer - of which Kickr is one, but there are loads more. I think the Kickr is expensive these days and is no longer the best in the market, the crown (IMO) now belongs to the Tacx Neo but at £1,000 it's going to cost you!

But if you're prepared to look at wheel on trainers then things can get much cheaper, e.g. I have a Tacx Bushido Smart which is £360 which does almost everything a Kickr does for 1/3rd of the price.

I went wheel on specifically because this time of year through the week I'm only using the turbo so after my Sunday ride it's not much bother to swap in the turbo wheel/tyre, so when I put my bike on the turbo it just slots in quite easily, no fussing with the mech and chain.
  • Thanks for the response Mark.

I'm guessing from wheel on, this literally means just that and you have a 'turbo wheel/tyre' combo that you pop on when using the trainer. This for me is definitely an option as I have a spare wheel and would just need to buy a cassette to make it work.

Do you recommend the trainer you're using and what do you miss out on from the kickr?

Cheers
  • I'm guessing from wheel on, this literally means just that and you have a 'turbo wheel/tyre' combo that you pop on when using the trainer. This for me is definitely an option as I have a spare wheel and would just need to buy a cassette to make it work.

Yes, exactly. When I bought a new wheelset I kept my stock wheels for this purpose and a have the Tacx training tyre on it.
    Do you recommend the trainer you're using and what do you miss out on from the kickr?

Well with having the tyre / roller interface instead of direct drive you're always at risk of the tyre slipping against the roller, how much that affects you depends on how much power you're putting out really. Other than that the connectivity is pretty much the same, the wattage and slope simulation is pretty much the same.
  • I work with a client who uses a wahoo kickr for training in preparation for XC and longer distance races.
    It's a great investment if your serious about your training.
    I've created MTB specific workouts on Trainer road for him to use with the kickr!
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com