Lezyne pumps.

MiniMalts
MiniMalts Posts: 266
edited November 2015 in Road beginners
Yes or no?

My first experience with them hasn't been great.

I purchased the Micro Floor Drive HPG (with inbuilt pressure gauge) and I've either got a bad one, or they're a load of rubbish.

Having inflated the tyres to the correct pressure using the gauge on the Lezyne I compared the pressure with two stand alone pressure gauges which I know are accurate. The Lezyne pump over reads drastically. Also, every time I disconnected and reconnected the Lezyne I got a different reading every time. To get 35psi in to my mums trike tyres I had to get the Lezyne pressure gauge to read 60psi.

Has anyone any experience of these?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mmm, I am in the "Not convinced" camp. I bought a Road Drive in medium which looks great and appeared to work well at first...but it just didn't seem to cut it at getting tyres up to anything around 70 PSI and certainly not quick enough for my liking. Hence, I went out and bought the Large version but that hasn't been feature free. The screw in rubber attachment corroded in place so I needed to borrow a fellow rider's pump when I punctured once (which was a real 'get out of jail' as I do a lot of lone riding in remote places). Hence, I now apply anti-seize and check regularly. Even then, when I checked it last night pumping up a rear tyre at home, it felt very cruddy in operation and did not inspire confidence.

When I compare it to the Topeak RaceRocket HP I have for another bike (no frame mount so it goes in my back pocket), that one is pretty perfect, specially for such a small device. Very quick at getting up to pressure and absolutely feature free. It also has a neat adaptor built in to allow me to sort out my daughter's Schreader valves. The Topeak range seems to be very good in general (I was very impressed when I borrowed a Road Morph on a ride a few years ago).
  • I've been in touch with the U.K. distributor for Lezyne (I purchased the pump in Yorkshire but live in Scotland) and they have advised me to return it to them and they will send me a fully tested new pump. I will see how it goes before I decide on my next move.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    the in-line gauge can be a bit sticky, it's more of an issue at lower pressures (it's used on several models of lezyne pump), i find tapping it or flicking hard with a finger generally makes it move to the correct reading

fwiw i once cross checked with a floor pump and also separate pressure gauge, as long i i gave it a couple of taps the lezyne was accurate

the other factor is afaik they do not actually say how to read it, i.e. do you use the tyre-side edge of the red rubber seal as the index, or an edge of the metal bit above it etc., i find correct is to use the tyre-side edge of the red rubber seal

i've had a micro floor drive with gauge for years for commuting, bit bulky but works very well, the floor standing format and long hose makes life so much easier when it's cold, wet, dark and all you want to do is get the tyre pumped up quick and get home to the warm

for lightweight i've got one of their cf pocket pumps, i added the gauge as an extra, way lighter/smaller, but it takes much longer to get to 6-7bar

btw...

if you stick with the lezyne screw on chuck and your inner tubes have removable cores, make sure they're screwed in *tight*, otherwise the core may unscrew when removing the pump

i actually fit a slip-on chuck instead, the screw on ones eventually wear, then one day will no longer stay on under pressure
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • the in-line gauge can be a bit sticky, it's more of an issue at lower pressures (it's used on several models of lezyne pump), i find tapping it or ******* hard with a finger generally makes it move to the correct reading

fwiw i once cross checked with a floor pump and also separate pressure gauge, as long i i gave it a couple of taps the lezyne was accurate

the other factor is afaik they do not actually say how to read it, i.e. do you use the tyre-side edge of the red rubber seal as the index, or an edge of the metal bit above it etc., i find correct is to use the tyre-side edge of the red rubber seal

i've had a micro floor drive with gauge for years for commuting, bit bulky but works very well, the floor standing format and long hose makes life so much easier when it's cold, wet, dark and all you want to do is get the tyre pumped up quick and get home to the warm

for lightweight i've got one of their cf pocket pumps, i added the gauge as an extra, way lighter/smaller, but it takes much longer to get to 6-7bar

btw...

if you stick with the lezyne screw on chuck and your inner tubes have removable cores, make sure they're screwed in *tight*, otherwise the core may unscrew when removing the pump

i actually fit a slip-on chuck instead, the screw on ones eventually wear, then one day will no longer stay on under pressure

I was tapping it gently against the hub of the trike and it did move, but it showed a pressure increase, rather than a decrease to something more resembling the stand alone gauges that I have.

I have a co2 pump for an emergency (raining/dark/late) but otherwise I would prefer to use a normal pump.

Do you have a link to the cf pocket pump and slip on chucks? Thanks. :)
  • sungod
    pump... http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-carbonrd.php ...looks like mine, though i had it a few years, medium size is fine

the hose with the pen gauge, it'll stow inside just like the standard one... http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-abspengauge.php

chuck... http://www.lezyne.com/product-dpumps-acc-slipchk.php ...can't stow it in the pump, i carry it in the pouch with other bits, it just screws on the end of the hose instead of the screw-on chuck

btw for travel i have... http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-cnctravel.php ...saves weight when flying as i'm usually on/over the limit, also use slip chuck on this
  • pump... http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-carbonrd.php ...looks like mine, though i had it a few years, medium size is fine

the hose with the pen gauge, it'll stow inside just like the standard one... http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-abspengauge.php

chuck... http://www.lezyne.com/product-dpumps-acc-slipchk.php ...can't stow it in the pump, i carry it in the pouch with other bits, it just screws on the end of the hose instead of the screw-on chuck

btw for travel i have... http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-cnctravel.php ...saves weight when flying as i'm usually on/over the limit, also use slip chuck on this

Thanks. :)

I have Schrader valves so the chuck wouldn't be any use. I will research to see if they do one for schrader valves. :)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    hmm probably in the "not convinced" camp as well, Ive also got the road drive in medium but Im in no way convinced I could ever pump my tyres up to full pressure with it, Ive tried it a few times as a test and I get about to 30-40psi, and cant get no further, I view it really as its kind of emergencies only get you home solution.

also has a nasty habit of slowly unscrewing itself and falling apart so I tend to leave it in panniers rather than the rack mount it came with.
  • hmm probably in the "not convinced" camp as well, Ive also got the road drive in medium but Im in no way convinced I could ever pump my tyres up to full pressure with it, Ive tried it a few times as a test and I get about to 30-40psi, and cant get no further, I view it really as its kind of emergencies only get you home solution.

also has a nasty habit of slowly unscrewing itself and falling apart so I tend to leave it in panniers rather than the rack mount it came with.

Hmm, it's not looking good for Lezyne. :/

I agree, I would only keep it in panniers also.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    A mate of mine has a Lezyne pump, if he gets a puncture when we're on a ride he always borrows my Topeak frame pump. Make of that what you will!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • sungod
    hmm probably in the "not convinced" camp as well, Ive also got the road drive in medium but Im in no way convinced I could ever pump my tyres up to full pressure with it, Ive tried it a few times as a test and I get about to 30-40psi, and cant get no further, I view it really as its kind of emergencies only get you home solution.

none of my lezyne pumps have fallen apart in several years

inflating to 6-7bar is straightforward as long as you're strong enough, that's the catch with minipumps (unless they have ridiculously low volume per stroke), the physics is the same for all makes, short stroke requires more oomph, not everyone can manage it

for me, the main thing i like about lezyne pumps vs. the majority is that they have a hose, i could never get on with the ones that require you to hold the pump in place on the valve
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628

none of my lezyne pumps have fallen apart in several years

inflating to 6-7bar is straightforward as long as you're strong enough, that's the catch with minipumps (unless they have ridiculously low volume per stroke), the physics is the same for all makes, short stroke requires more oomph, not everyone can manage it

for me, the main thing i like about lezyne pumps vs. the majority is that they have a hose, i could never get on with the ones that require you to hold the pump in place on the valve

My lezyne mini pump has been superb - can get the pressure up to a PSI comfortable enough to complete a ride and get me home to then top up with the track pump.

I learnt the hard way with lezyne [umps and conti tubes with the valves unscrewing
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A mate of mine has a Lezyne pump, if he gets a puncture when we're on a ride he always borrows my Topeak frame pump. Make of that what you will!

The only thing you can make of that is that good frame pumps are better than good mini pumps. And that's just a fact but it doesn't really get us anywhere! (FWIW, I have a cheapo Zefal frame pump - the ones that have been made for 30 plus years. It's a flimsy alloy shaft in a flimsy plastic tube and that's quicker at pumping a tyre up than either a floor drive or mini pressure drive - now that is something you can really make of what you will).

I have a micro floor drive with a gauge and that is excellent. I also have a mini HP pump and wish I'd got one of the larger ones. But it does well enough to get 70psi in without taking all day and that's really OK for my weight.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have one and I've tried to use it twice both times it let more air out than it out in, its also corroded so now I keep it wrapped in plastic and don't use conti inner tubes anymore.

Likewise my toppeak HP is small and works perfectly
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I have a Lezyne alloy floor pump and it has been superb.
    BUT i found the pressure drive hand pump to be ****. Took an age to get the pressure to anywhere near ridable and have now replaced it with a Topeak Race Rocket which is far far better.
  • MiniMalts

I have a micro floor drive with a gauge and that is excellent.

I'd be interested to know if you've compared the gauge in the Lezyne with some stand alone pressure gauges, or even any other pump with a built in gauge.
  • sungod
    i have, sks floor pump gauge and an sks airchecker digital gauge, in the 6-8 bar range they all agree within half a bar, close enough for me
  • MiniMalts
    The saga continues.

I finally received a replacement pump yesterday, although a neighbour had took it in for me 4 days ago and not told me, nor had the courier put a card through my letterbox to say where it was.

I've compared this one with my two stand alone pressure gauges and this one is just as bad as the one I returned to Lezynes U.K distributor.

If my two stand alone TPG's read 50psi the Lezyne reads 40. 2 or 3 pumps and the Lezyne gauge jumps to 60psi. Remove the Lezyne and check when my TPG's and it shows the tyre still at 50 or just over.

Put the Lezyne back on and it reads 40psi again.

Inflate tyre to 80psi using the Lezyne and remove, connect Lezyne again and it now reads 60psi. I can't check what psi in the tyres with my stand alone TPG's as the max they go up to is 60.

The person I was dealing with at Lezyne assures me he fully tested it and it is within Lezynes tolerances. I find it hard to accept that a 20psi difference is within tolerances. He also advised me that they have had no other complaints regarding them. I pointed out that maybe other owners don't have another pump or stand alone TPG to compare it with and that when they inflate their tyre to the desired psi they take it as gospel. He didn't reply. I'm now returning it for a refund.

*bangs head off wall*
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Out of minor interest how did you know that your other two gauges are accurate? I'm not sure how you'd go about testing these things.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • MiniMalts
    Out of minor interest how did you know that your other two gauges are accurate? I'm not sure how you'd go about testing these things.

Pretty sure, they both give the same reading and are two separate brands. If they were both inaccurate it would be one hell of a coincidence that they are both off by the same amount.

The fact I pump the tyre up to 80psi with the Lezyne, disconnect it and then reconnect it and it then reads 60psi suggests there is clearly something not right.
  • sungod
    The saga continues.

I finally received a replacement pump yesterday, although a neighbour had took it in for me 4 days ago and not told me, nor had the courier put a card through my letterbox to say where it was.

I've compared this one with my two stand alone pressure gauges and this one is just as bad as the one I returned to Lezynes U.K distributor.

If my two stand alone TPG's read 50psi the Lezyne reads 40. 2 or 3 pumps and the Lezyne gauge jumps to 60psi. Remove the Lezyne and check when my TPG's and it shows the tyre still at 50 or just over.

Inflate tyre to 80psi using the Lezyne and remove, connect Lezyne again and it now reads 60psi. I can't check what psi in the tyres with my stand alone TPG's as the max they go up to is 60.

The person I was dealing with at Lezyne assures me he fully tested it and it is within Lezynes tolerances. I find it hard to accept that a 20psi difference is within tolerances. He also advised me that they have had no other complaints regarding them. I pointed out that maybe other owners don't have another pump or stand alone TPG to compare it with and that when they inflate their tyre to the desired psi they take it as gospel. He didn't reply. I'm now returning it for a refund.

*bangs head off wall*

the lezyne pen gauge can 'stick', you need to tap it to make sure it's at the correct point

at the end of the day, it's a pen gauge, not the world's best design for a pressure gauge, but it you want a gauge on a compact hand pump, that's pretty much the only option

it's also a *road* pump, until you're at 6 bar upwards, you're not in the typical usage range for a road pump, at low pressures a pen gauge is going to be poor, that's inherent in the nature of the things

if you are seeing a consistent error of x psi, it suggests you may not be reading the gauge right, or simply need to say "ok, i'll read it 'here'" as that's the value matching other pumps

as i said, mine matches other gauges - but i *always* remember the need to tap the thing to make sure it hasn't stuck, and i only use it at road pressure
  • MiniMalts
    The saga continues.

*bangs head off wall*

the lezyne pen gauge can 'stick', you need to tap it to make sure it's at the correct point

at the end of the day, it's a pen gauge, not the world's best design for a pressure gauge, but it you want a gauge on a compact hand pump, that's pretty much the only option

it's also a *road* pump, until you're at 6 bar upwards, you're not in the typical usage range for a road pump, at low pressures a pen gauge is going to be poor, that's inherent in the nature of the things

if you are seeing a consistent error of x psi, it suggests you may not be reading the gauge right, or simply need to say "ok, i'll read it 'here'" as that's the value matching other pumps

as i said, mine matches other gauges - but i *always* remember the need to tap the thing to make sure it hasn't stuck, and i only use it at road pressure

Yep, did plenty of tapping. ;)

Max PSI in my hybrid (700c 42) is 85 so not far off road pressures?
  • rolf_f
    The saga continues.

*bangs head off wall*

How to end saga. Replace pump with version without gauge or don't look at gauge and just judge it by feel. It's a compact pump. You use it to get home. In that respect, it is very good. It gets the tyres up to good pressure very easily. You don't need to know exactly what the pressure is. It just needs to be high enough.

/bangs head on wall. :D
  • MiniMalts
    The saga continues.

*bangs head off wall*

How to end saga. Replace pump with version without gauge or don't look at gauge and just judge it by feel. It's a compact pump. You use it to get home. In that respect, it is very good. It gets the tyres up to good pressure very easily. You don't need to know exactly what the pressure is. It just needs to be high enough.

I'm one of these people that likes things to be fairly right, especially when I'm paying £41 for a pump. :roll:
  • rolf_f
    The saga continues.

*bangs head off wall*

I'm one of these people that likes things to be fairly right, especially when I'm paying £41 for a pump. :roll:

Well you were a bit extravagent if you paid £41 but never mind - £30 is more like it unless we are talking about different products. Anyway, you are paying £41 for a pump with a gauge. Without the gauge, it costs pretty much the same thing. So regard it as a £41 pump with a free, not very accurate gauge.

FWIW, I just follow the gauge on the Leyzne and all has been fine. We worry too much about some things.
  • MiniMalts
    The saga continues.

*bangs head off wall*

Well you were a bit extravagent if you paid £41 but never mind - £30 is more like it unless we are talking about different products. Anyway, you are paying £41 for a pump with a gauge. Without the gauge, it costs pretty much the same thing. So regard it as a £41 pump with a free, not very accurate gauge.

FWIW, I just follow the gauge on the Leyzne and all has been fine. We worry too much about some things.

And some people have Autism which means they are completely anal about things. :wink::wink:

I
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Just pop over to The Cake Stop...post your gripe here:

viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12887900

Then get some insulation tape and cover the gauge. Sorted.

As posted above, track pumps are for home use and a decent one can be had for as little as £25.
  • rolf_f

And some people have Autism which means they are completely anal about things. :wink::wink:

I

Good point! Maybe we don't worry enough! :lol:

As it happens, on my recent 3 month cycle tour through Scandinavia, our pump was my mates Micro Floor Drive. After a week he got a puncture and the pump couldn't manage to get much air into the tyre. He wobbled on for ten miles to a garage and managed to get a reasonable pressure with an air line. This worried me as I was on higher pressure tyres and therefore wouldn't get much luck out of an air line - so I carried on without topping up my air pressure. After two weeks and a thousand miles over the mountains of Telemark I found a bike shop and topped up my now worryingly low pressure tyres (this on a fully loaded touring bike - 35kg worth or over 7 times the weight of my lightweight bike). Eventually I realised what was wrong with the pump (very simple issue with the adaptor) but it did show how much air loss you can manage with not that I would recommend it......
  • MiniMalts

I

As it happens, on my recent 3 month cycle tour through Scandinavia, our pump was my mates Micro Floor Drive. After a week he got a puncture and the pump couldn't manage to get much air into the tyre. He wobbled on for ten miles to a garage and managed to get a reasonable pressure with an air line. This worried me as I was on higher pressure tyres and therefore wouldn't get much luck out of an air line - so I carried on without topping up my air pressure. After two weeks and a thousand miles over the mountains of Telemark I found a bike shop and topped up my now worryingly low pressure tyres (this on a fully loaded touring bike - 35kg worth or over 7 times the weight of my lightweight bike). Eventually I realised what was wrong with the pump (very simple issue with the adaptor) but it did show how much air loss you can manage with not that I would recommend it......

I'm just going to return it, get a track pump (either a Topeak or Revolution, anyone any experience of these?) and buy a hand pump and accurate stand alone PG. I have a CO2 system to inflate a fully flat tyre if the worst does happen, and use the hand pump to fine tune if need be.
  • rolf_f

I

I'm just going to return it, get a track pump (either a Topeak or Revolution, anyone any experience of these?) and buy a hand pump and accurate stand alone PG. I have a CO2 system to inflate a fully flat tyre if the worst does happen, and use the hand pump to fine tune if need be.

Topeak Joe Blow Sport. It's what a lot of shops use themselves which all the recommendation you need and they don't cost a fortune.
  • MiniMalts

I

Topeak Joe Blow Sport. It's what a lot of shops use themselves which all the recommendation you need and they don't cost a fortune.

Great, thanks. :)