What's a good average speed ??

124»

Comments

• I generally don't trust what people say they average. I think many people don't know what average speed means. It includes all stop signs, red lights, etc. Unless it is in Strava, it didn't happen.

A guy told me that on the next group ride he was going to average 18 mph. I was discouraged, as I knew that I could not average more than about 17.2 mph for 30 miles. He ended up averaging 13-14 mph on that ride.

We have all hills and a normal ride would be over 600 ft of climbing.

I am not sure what you mean by "good." Good for racing or just good for a fast ride from a non-racer?

For a non-racer, 2.5 watts per KG and a 70 kg rider is 175 watts, and that is good for 19 mph. With 150 watts, it is more like 17 mph. I have been on group rides with 10-20 people, and only 2-3 of them can average over 17.
  • I generally don't trust what people say they average. I think many people don't know what average speed means. It includes all stop signs, red lights, etc. Unless it is in Strava, it didn't happen.

Strange logic considering that strava (apart from segments) ignores time spent at stop signs, red lights etc... when calculating average speed?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

Hills and only 600ft of climbing on a ride?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942

must mean we have no hills and only 600ft of climbing?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    If I really go for it, I can hit an average of 24mph (I averaged a touch over 22mph this morning) on my 8.5mile ride to work...but, that's mostly downhill (including a 2mile continual descent). Going home I'm looking at more like 14-15mph - which obviously is mostly uphill....

On a longer, circular ride around the High Peak and Derbyshire Dales I'm usually around 16-17mph - 18mph on a good day.

As others have said, if you're enjoying it, it doesn't really matter.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

No, he meant to write 'f***' before 'all hills'.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942

No, he meant to write 'f***' before 'all hills'.
    :D:D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • MiniMalts
    MiniMalts Posts: 266
    I use the Activity app on my Apple Watch and I take everything it says with a pinch of salt. For example, I rode 17 miles today, the whole way in a head wind which added 12 minutes to my best time of 1h 10m but yet it says I still averaged 13mph yet the same route on Sunday with no headwind was 11mph. There are a few downhill gentle slopes but I could barely coast down them as I still had to fight the headwind. Being 6' 3" and built like a back any of a cargo ship my body acts as a wind break and I can't get low enough to make myself aerodynamic.

At the end of the day, as long as the app says I average 10mph or more I'm happy. Any less and I end up a bit disappointed in myself. I am also new to cycling (started at the beginning of August)
  • I use the Activity app on my Apple Watch and I take everything it says with a pinch of salt. For example, I rode 17 miles today, the whole way in a head wind which added 12 minutes to my best time of 1h 10m but yet it says I still averaged 13mph yet the same route on Sunday with no headwind was 11mph.
    Well, 17 miles in 1 hour 22 is 12.43 mph so not far off - how long did the 11mph ride take you? If you are sure of the distance you don't need an app to tell you your average speed...
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Strava always gives a lower average speed for me than the reported Garmin and Garmin Connect speeds, normally at least by 1mph, so I don't really trust either too much. I know I ride with certain people who's averages on Strava (usually iPhone app versions) often beat mine but whenever I ride with them I have to back off otherwise I end up dropping them.
    I got to the point of not starting the Garmin until I'd rode out of the town and stopping it again when I got back as that added 3+mph to the rides speed, but that's just silly.
    Have to say I just ignore the average speeds nowadays especially as when riding I'll put lots of effort in on parts and then back off and enjoy the ride on others.
  • as I am sure has been said above, Strava will tell you everthing you need to know about ave speed, corrected for your course and ranked against yourself and others, and filtered by age and weight. The only thing it cannot do is to correct for course conditions like temp and wind (but it does account for gradient). Only from strava can you really know how you are doing relative to others.
  • MiniMalts
    MiniMalts Posts: 266
    I use the Activity app on my Apple Watch and I take everything it says with a pinch of salt. For example, I rode 17 miles today, the whole way in a head wind which added 12 minutes to my best time of 1h 10m but yet it says I still averaged 13mph yet the same route on Sunday with no headwind was 11mph.
    Well, 17 miles in 1 hour 22 is 12.43 mph so not far off - how long did the 11mph ride take you? If you are sure of the distance you don't need an app to tell you your average speed...

11.6mph ride took 1h 26, but I've just remembered that I stopped to speak to a friend for 10 minutes and didn't pause the workout.
  • inseine wrote:
    A good average is about 23/24mph

IMO that's unrealistically fast. I've never averaged that in my life, especially if you take into account a warm up/ cool down and 'normal' roads with all that that means.

Holy shizballs I only average 22kmhr! Thats km. Thats like what 12 or 13 milesph
  • I did one of my 24.32 mile routes today solo and averaged 20.9 mph... Elevation gain was 732 ft. It's a good route, a few shitty roads and some hills but nothing to bad. Would you guys say that's respectable?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,592
    I'd say say fairly decent.
    By the way, how deep did you have to dig to resurrect this thread?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

I'd say say fairly decent.
    By the way, how deep did you have to dig to resurrect this thread?

Haha, deeper than I did on that bike ride ;)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Is that a massive filing cupboard there CV or are you really really small ?