When is it too late for a BR refund?

nochekmate
nochekmate Posts: 3,460
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
I buy & sell a fair amount of stuff on this forum from time to time & have just been contacted by the buyer of a £25 seatpost which I sold in good faith having been taken from a bike just prior to the sale. Problem is the item was sold nearly two months ago! He has stated that he's only just got round to using it on his bike build but am I being unreasonable in not offering him a refund after all this time? I would have had no problem refunding him if we were talking just a couple of days - I do not intentionally sell poor quality items.

Thoughts?

Comments

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    What's wrong with the item, why do they want a refund?
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Wha?! 2 months? No chance!

Once checked for damage on arrival and as described, as far as I'm concerned that's it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    What's wrong with the item, why do they want a refund?

I have been informed that the seatpost clamp will not tighten correctly & that there is an issue with the thread - held a saddle fine when sold.
  • Too late as far as I'm concerned
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I would probably refund him for £25 though you are certainly within your rights not to.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I'd trawl through his previous posts to gauge whether he agreed with me on important issues such as helmet wearing, group riding, weight saving, waving at fellow cyclists etc......

If he failed to agree with me on any of these then I'd tell him to swivel on that seat post
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Well i think you are well within your rights not too. The first thing most people do when they buy something (especially second hand) is to try it out and ensure it is functional and as described. Seems strange to me that 2 months down the line he is asking for a refund.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I had that on some stuff I sold a while back, similar time delay if I recall. Chap was doing a build and it was taking longer than he thought. By the time he got round to fitting the parts, he concluded in needed new bushes and a service. Turned out his build was on a different frame/year.

Of course it was all my fault, to protect my identity and the fall out - I gave him a partial refund. Just wasn't worth the hassle. But yeah - I felt it was a bit of a pee take. 7-14 days I think is fair.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd trawl through his previous posts to gauge whether he agreed with me on important issues such as helmet wearing, group riding, weight saving, waving at fellow cyclists etc......

If he failed to agree with me on any of these then I'd tell him to swivel on that seat post

Or just trawl through his posts and see if he is a nice guy. Karma and all that. Of course, on BR, it is highly unlikely he is a nice guy but you never know! :lol:

Obviously, if it was me and the purchaser was Charlie Potatoes then no chance!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I had a similar situation with some used shifters, boughtthem for the spares bin and when I got round to fitting them there were a couple of O-rings missing and one of the ratchets wasn't working properly. This was probably at least 2 months later. The faults were such that I couldn't really have noticed them until I came to fit them, and they had been sold as in good working condition. I contacted the seller and he agreed to refund me if I couldn't get them fixed but I managed to get my LBS to sort them out in the end at minimal cost. I appreciated the guy's reasonable stance though.
  • I'd trawl through his previous posts to gauge whether he agreed with me on important issues such as helmet wearing, group riding, weight saving, waving at fellow cyclists etc......

Or just trawl through his posts and see if he is a nice guy. Karma and all that. Of course, on BR, it is highly unlikely he is a nice guy but you never know! :lol:

Obviously, if it was me and the purchaser was Charlie Potatoes then no chance!

I have enough self respect to not put either of us in that position in the first place :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Surely all the purchaser needs is a new bolt for the clamp, he should buy that himself. He may even be the one that threaded the bolt, who knows after 2 months.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Surely all the purchaser needs is a new bolt for the clamp, he should buy that himself. He may even be the one that threaded the bolt, who knows after 2 months.

This!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!