Having trouble with tubeless rims

souljacker
souljacker Posts: 54
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently bought a canyon nerve 8.9 that came with Dt Swiss spline 2 tubeless ready rims and have today tried to put tubeless tyres on it.

I bought tubeless specific tyres and the front by tyre went on no problem and seated fine, but the rear tyre seats fine but I'm getting air leaking through the spoke holes, I've tried swapping the tubeless valves between wheels but it's still the same.

Can it just be a case of buying some more rim tape and just putting that overthe top of the existing rim tape?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've used 1" Gorilla tape on tubeless rims with no issue before and it is recommended by a lot of people. I would say get rid of the existing tape, clean the rim then start again with the Gorilla tape
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Thanks I'll try the gorilla tape,I've read a few places recommending that, the existing tape looks like it could be a bit of a pain to remove though, would it do any harm to go over the top of it
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    If it's leaking via the spoke holes then the rim tape is almost certainly to blame.

Might be worth running some fine sand paper around all of them while you are at it to ensure there are no sharp edges.
  • Ok thanks I'll give that a go.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    did you try and put the tyres on with the original rim tape or did you put wider tape on?
  • I just put the tyres on with the original rim strip on as that's what it said to do in the dt Swiss handbook that came with the wheels.

I've now put a layer of the 1" gorrila tape over the top of the original and it seems to be holding the pressure now so fingers crossed its sorted
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    sometimes the tape isn't put down too good or its old. had to redo one of my bro inlaw's easton heist wheels that ment to be taped from the factory cause they leaked from the holes.
  • Yeah on closer inspection there were some small gaps in the tape over the spoke holes so that's where the air was leaking from. I had a good three hour ride on the bike yesterday and the tyres held so all good, thanks all for the advice. Gorrila tape sorted it :D