First Tour - Buy now, or buy there? (NZ)

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited October 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi chaps,

I will be embarking on my cherry-popping tour (ooh, err) around New Zealand at the end of the year and am in a quandary:

Buy a bike now, spend some time getting it setup the way I want and take it with me?
~or~
Wait til I land in Auckland/Christchurch and spend a few days getting it sorted there?

Any sage advice on this? I really like the idea of just turning up and winging it, but don't really want to end up with a ill-fitting heap of junk. I'm 6ft 3", so finding bikes in a suitable size has always been a bit of a ballache. I plan on spending at least 2 months there, so it needs to be bearable.

Of the bikes I've seen, I rather like the Cinelli Hobo(ootleg) and the Surly Disc Trucker, but there seems to be endless choice, each with pro's and con's. Any other worthy suggestions?

One more thing - Are Brooks saddles 'all that'? Or am i better off sticking with one I know is ok (I've never had a saddle i'd class as being particularly comfortable...)

Chars

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Can't answer you I'm afraid but I've thought the same thing when considering a NZ or US tour. I've got a touring bike but the logistics of taking a touring bike and kit, what to do with a bike box while touring etc make the thought of getting a bike while out there seemed attractive, hopefully being able to sell before returning.
    I need to make a decision or I'll never do it at all :roll:
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    You need to study the airlines policies carefully as bikes are treated differently by different airlines and can be expensive to transport. I do not know the cost of bikes in New Zealand but do know that in some countries the duty is high and the choice limited. If you can find the right airline I would take it which is what we have done in the past though this was when the extra cost was minimal.

Most decent hotels will find a corner for your box if you book there both ends of your tour though you need to contact them to check they will.

As for saddles I always take one I know I is OK. A tour is not the time to test a new saddle.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Good advice on the saddle. Have a look at NZ eBay. Most cost effective could be to buy a decent 2nd hand one there as or even just before you arrive and re sell as you leave.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I also cannot answer your question directly but can offer some advice.

Take a look at ebay NZ and their equivalent of Gumtree etc to see the frequency of bikes that are available in your size. This may help you make a decision.

If you do buy a bike out there I would take your own saddle with you. One that you have ridden regularly and find comfortable. With regards to Brooks, many rave about them I have always be able to find a cheaper, lighter saddle that I can ride all day with quite comfortably.

I started typing this at 10.30 and see someone has offer advice re saddle.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643

And NZ eBay :D

Slow typist too, a touch over 2 1/2 hours to type that?
    :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756

And NZ eBay :D

Slow typist too, a touch over 2 1/2 hours to type that?
    :D

Wrote the first couple of lines in my tea break, someone asked me to do something then I finished it at lunch time.
  • el_rey
    el_rey Posts: 83
    I have done both and would recommend renting when you arrive. It can be a major expense and hassle to take a bike with you. I also hate it when the TSA gets into my bike box to check for bombs and such. They never find any and they never properly repack my bike. After having done both, I now make sure I can rent a high end road bike and then take my pedals and saddle. I always take at least one kit, shoes, pedals and the saddle in a carry-on bag. I am headed to Thailand in October and have a nice Trek Domane waiting to be saddled.
  • peat
    Thanks for the responses. Food for thought.
  • trademe.co.nz is the NZ version of eBay/Gumtree
  • buy it here. It's not just the bike, its the panniers and also getting the fit right. Much easier to get the fit right before you go, not spend the first fortnight trying to find bike shops to get different saddles to try out. Practise a bit at home, then you'll realise what you need and what you don't. This means you won't be ditching expensive/heavy/much-loved things on the other side of the world. Also NZ is a small place - I suspect you'll get a wider choice in the UK. Not sure if NZ is cheaper than the UK or more expensive.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Did this a few years ago (also my first tour), assuming things haven't changed that much - buy here and take it with you. Everything bike related was significantly more expensive out there, and Air New Zealand are really good for transporting sporting goods. As an additional piece of luggage, my bike cost an extra £35 for the return journey (half the normal cost of additional luggage) and needed nothing more than a transparent plastic bike bag for packaging. No issues with damage either way.
  • peat
    Cheers for the info.

Yes, i've already decided to get the bike sorted here and worry about getting it there later.

Yay! New Bike! Weeeeeeeeeee!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Lucky for you the pound is much stronger than the NZ Peso.
    Bike choice is limited compared to UK. All the major players are well represented.
    Air NZ is very sporting luggage friendly. Chose a route from (I assume) London to NZ with just one carrier, that way you wont get any surprises with luggage rules.
    You could just pack your bike in a cardboard box, then get a new box from a bike shop before you leave.
    read this:- http://www.kennett.co.nz/product/classic-new-zealand-cycle-trails/
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    some bike shops will sell you a bike with a guaranteed buy back price, Mount Eden Cycles do that, a specialized dealer. No idea about the cost.
  • Emirates will let you take your bike as normal luggage, you get up to 30kg with them.
  • peat
    Surly LHT procured.

Emirates flights booked.

This is go!