Clicking noise from my crank

KeefG76
KeefG76 Posts: 14
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Afternoon all, after a bit of help if possible.

I bought my bike 2nd hand a couple of weeks ago, Cube Peloton 2014 with full 105 groupset, it doesnt have a mark on it and I was assured (as everyone is) that it had done very little mileage.

I noticed on Friday when I was out a slight click from the left hand side crank whenever the pedal was in a certain position, I was out again yesterday and did 75km including a few tough climbs and the clicking is now a lot worse and is now I'd say 3 different clicks. The noise only happens when there is pressure on the pedals so pedalling to listen doesnt work.

I took it to a bike shop this morning who advised there is a bit of play in the crank and stripping it/cleaning it may help, however speaking to my brother who is quite up on bikes he reckons the bottom bracket is goosed.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I had the same problem very recently, a click around the bottom of the arc on left side when I was putting a bit of pressure through the pedals (R700 chainset, 6700 BB for reference). Very annoying uphill!

I think your LBS has it right - I removed the pedals and chainset, re-greased everything and re-assembled it all (it took a bit more force than I was expecting to get the chainset spindle fully through the BB) and no more click!

I doubt an HT2 BB would have gone on a 2014 model, especially if it hasn't done that many miles. Mine has 2.5 years and somewhere around 7500 miles on it and has given me no issues whatsoever.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Well I'd be checking everything that didn't need me to spend any money.

So, chainring bolts, pedals, chainset etc. You'll have to take the chainset out to establish if the BB is knacked anyway.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The BB may just need tightening. To do that you've got to remove the crankset so may as well give it all a good clean and re-grease at the same time.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Question on this. I have a click from play on the spindle that attaches to the RHS crank arm on my 2010 105. There is visible lateral movement, albeit small. It's done 7000+ miles. I've taken it off the bike and again, there is small but noticeable movement. How is the spindle attached to the RHS crank arm ? Is it just drifted in and meant to be permanent or is it replaceable ?

Hope that makes sense.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    The spindle looks to be a pressed interference fit and not user replaceable. If you can get it out without damaging it you may be able to get an engineering workshop Loctite it back in, however if wear has taken place between the two interfaces, it may fail again. Probably cheaper just to buy a FC-4700 £60 or another FC-5750 £75.
  • The spindle looks to be a pressed interference fit and not user replaceable. If you can get it out without damaging it you may be able to get an engineering workshop Loctite it back in, however if wear has taken place between the two interfaces, it may fail again. Probably cheaper just to buy a FC-4700 £60 or another FC-5750 £75.
    Understood and has been corroborated by others. Time to get the credit card out...
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack