Jobs

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited November 2015 in The Crudcatcher
Evening mincers.

After leaving the previous job. I am in need of another to fund hobbies. Long term goal is RN.

Sent my CV in to a few companies that require multiple people and I believe I can do the jobs, despite it not being what I have done for 10 years.

One of them is panel wiring, electronics is my thing so testing following schematics etc is no problem. At the old job I started getting in to that side in R&D building prototype PCBs doing the layout on veraborad etc then initial testing faultfinding etc then test runs in production. Point to point wiring on test jigs fault finding, maintenance and all that good stuff.

Anyway the company is round the corner from me, pays good and I want the job to keep it short. Sent My CV in and heard nothing. Would imagine they want someone who has always been doing that line of work.

Planning to just rock up there tomorrow, and try to have a chat with them. Thinking it is a good idea to offer an unpaid trial to show that I can do it and willingness etc.

Thoughts, ideas and opinions?

Comments

• Any advice? Good or bad.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Thinking it is a good idea to offer an unpaid trial to show that I can do it and willingness etc.

If you're out of work otherwise, I can't see any reason not to give it a go.
  • Thinking it is a good idea to offer an unpaid trial to show that I can do it and willingness etc.

If you're out of work otherwise, I can't see any reason not to give it a go.

I am out of work atm, and some companies seem so exacting on what they want and will not consider people who work in similar disciplines. To me it sounds crazy. But I guess it is still an employers market.

Just not sure how to word it, I feel I can do the job and want to prove it. But I am not sure why they didn't give me an interview initially.
  • Most likely because of the other 300 applicants.

Go and knock the door. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Most likely because of the other 300 applicants.

Go and knock the door. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.

My thoughts exactly. But I do want/need the job. How can I convince them other than free work? And other advice as I am planning to rock up to them unannounced. And I really can't afford to take no as a answer.
  • If I was looking for a new minion, had hundreds of applications, and then someone rocked up asking to work for free, you'd still have just as good a chance as the other hundred people.

Yes, it shows determination, but our employment rules wouldn't allow it. You have to go through the same process as everyone else.

That said, you've nothing to lose.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    If I was looking for a new minion, had hundreds of applications, and then someone rocked up asking to work for free, you'd still have just as good a chance as the other hundred people.

Yes, it shows determination, but our employment rules wouldn't allow it. You have to go through the same process as everyone else.

But............. you have been seen and that makes you stand out from the rest of the faceless CV's, obviously as this is the CC, post up a pic of your Mum/Sister/Girlfriend and we will see if we think you will have a chance
  • If I was looking for a new minion, had hundreds of applications, and then someone rocked up asking to work for free, you'd still have just as good a chance as the other hundred people.

But............. you have been seen and that makes you stand out from the rest of the faceless CV's, obviously as this is the CC, post up a pic of your Mum/Sister/Girlfriend and we will see if we think you will have a chance
    Not here it doesn't. Well, it might, but we have strict rules and point systems. If you didn't have the right attributes to match the criteria, you'd be out.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • If I'm honest a good part of what got me some of my jobs has been luck. even before my job.offer I got through to interview stage by luck at times. For example my cv landed on the desk of the person thinning down 600 CVs. to 12 being interviewed. I became the 13th. Another time I sent off a speculative.cv to a local shops company just as they were the deciding they needed someone. They met me then couple of weeks later offered me a a job without putting the job on the market. I met what they needed, or thought they needed, so 3 months employment for probation to potentially save them advertising for someone.it worked and I got 10+ years out of them.

AFAIK they'll have systems for recruitment in place which prevents them taking up your offer but what have you got to lose? If they did take you up it'll be because they think you're right. It would risk them losing out on the real beSr candidate by the trial. If they don't you have lost nothing but.time. Best you could get is it brings you up their list to get you into their interview shortlist. Putting a face to a cv is a big thing IMHO but you'll be lucky.to see the right person who's making the decision. Size.of company probably goes against you if it's above a certain size. Smaller than enterprises probably have more personal interaction by the boss with employees so your personal approach has more impact I reckon.

Good luck!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Often in my industry, most jobs will only be viewed coming from an agency.. And those not from an agency the C.V. has to be exceptional.

Walking in and saying hey I'm here for a job would probably not get you very far at all.

Have you had people review your c.v. so it works well? its generally 2pages to quote your skills and any mistakes on spelling or a poor lay out normally leads to the bin instantly...(hence I get mine checked completely by a few people as I cant spell..)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I hope you didn't mention your vacuum cleaner hangups.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    have a look on the web to see who's who in the company linked in etc might help, you can't just rock up at reception and ask to speak to the bloke hiring, unless they are tiny small. You could always try to guess email addresses and drop them a line saying you can pop in for a chat if they are free as you are really keen to get a job with them.

Find out what they do, who they sell to, who they compete with and see if you have any relevant angles.

Name dropping customers and competition will always get you noticed, as long as ire relevant.

If they wont see you or you get a dear john, ask for 5 mins of their time to get some feedback.
  • Feedback is something I can't stress enough! Always always always ask for it. Most companies will have to give it to you if you've asked, and I like to think of it as a good way of improving your CV and future applications/interviews.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • If it is local do you know anyone who works there, even a friend of a friend in a different department?

It is surprising how a personal introduction opens doors and at least gets your CV reviewed, rather than those CVs just received out of the blue by email etc
  • Good replies guys, thank you.

Have held of going so far. I know who the company is, what they do and who they supply etc. I can't find any friends or friends of friends or even on linkedin, other than randomly adding.

I do know the names of the two people who are doing the hiring, one is HR and the other is a workshop manager. I company employs around 50 people so I would class that as a small-medium business.

The free trial, is to show that I could do the job if they had any hangups about it. Maybe I could think of a different way of doing this.

I would feel better having met them and they still say no, at least that way I feel I got a chance.

The last two jobs I have had I just rocked up at :). Not too many jobs in my role, but also not much fresh blood too.
  • diy
    don't be shy. phone reception. ask for the workshop managers email address as you have some important confirmations you need to send. be friendly chatty and caring to who ever answers the phone. ping him a note asking for a few mins of his time.

there are no rules in this game. victory goes to the brave
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't just turn up unannounced, that will kill any chance of getting the job. If you know the name of someone in HR just give them a ring and politely ask for feedback on your application. Don't offer a free trial, it makes you sound desperate and they can't legally do it these days. Just make clear how keen you are to work for them and explain how your skills will suit them.
    I'm quite good at talking my way in to jobs which are probably a bit above my experience and qualifications. I have recently started a development engineering job, the company wanted a minimum of a masters in mech engineering and all I have is an apprenticeship and a few NVQ's but I have a well written (honest) CV and I'm good at interviews.
  • Again thank you for the responses. As I mentioned on my OP I sent my CV in previously and had a few conversations with the HR lady before. She assured me that she passed my CV on to the relevant manager and said he would be in touch. It was some months ago now.

So don't think they will have my CV. Or something put them off, My CV is fairly good, and is an honest reflection of my career progression (two pages, well laid out, seems well written). Maybe due to my recent job and being involved in the lad and test development maybe they think I won't be suited to the job with it being hands on and following laid out plans. But I like that work, maybe I am hypothesizing.

Just need to get my foot in with a meeting, then I know I can shine.

Ok think the free trial is a bad idea now, just thought it would show willingness and being keen and giving them a chance to see I can do the job.

They do have a screwfix next door haha, could just say I was passing.

As people have more life experience than me, is turning up really a bad thing? And will it kill all my chances?

My two previous jobs I just turned up to both of them unannounced and not knowing they were recruiting, got both jobs and the last company I didn't even know who they were I was just in the area handing in CVs.

Seems such a game to get a job these days, sends off CVs and never hear anything. But if I can at least get a few minutes with them I can always make an impression.

I like DIY' response

"there are no rules in this game. victory goes to the brave" and this reflects my thoughts of the employment market.

Hell I was in talks last week with an agency who recruit for my old company among st others and they were telling me of the perfect role for me, until I told them it was my old job they were recruiting me for. Then they told me how sorry the company was to lose me and give me a few quotes from emails that were passed back and forth between them. Cheered my week up, highly missed and the next person has to fill some big boots. But I disagreed with the lean approach/dictatorship. Anyway I have gone on a tangent again.
  • diy
    Don't forget - its hiring season right now... if you leave it to mid november everyone will be saying come back after xmas. Then everyone with a new years resolution to better themselves will be hunting and you'll have 10 times the competition. Then easter will be upon us and then the summer break. Sept-Nov is the golden qtr for job hunting.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Turning up unannounced will definitely put them off. A phone call will be more effective, it's still personal but you're not dragging them away from their desk when they might be in the middle of something more important and potentially p1ssing them off.
  • Sounds like the devil and the angel sat on my shoulder.

There are no rules written about getting employment but so many unwritten rules too.

Fluff it I have a long term plan of what I want, if I don't even ask then I will never know.

I would be stupid to approach them and I would be stupid not to approach.

Nothing gained nothing lost, going back to the PCoy days.
  • Infact fluff it, Just been on to linked in after a while and have lot's of requests and endorsements. More than I thought I would have. I have nothing to loose, I can only gain.

I have the long term plan in their too about the RN.

So F it all and roll the dice what can I really loose.

Off to them tomorrow around 11 after break and before dinner. Nothing really to lose thinking about it.
  • I'd still try phoning the person in HR first, much better than turning up unannounced.

Do people actually use LinkedIn and get results? It seems pointless to me.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you can build panels and write plc software them get yourself set up self employed. It's difficult finding someone who can build good panels reasonably quickly.
  • diy
    I wouldn't just turn up. I'd call/email. don't waste time with HR, they are the gatekeeper. it's the hiring manager you want to chat with. If the manager likes you HR will make it happen. if it's been several months chances are the job has gone or absorbed. but it might just be the interviews didn't go well.

you also need to stop fishing with a rod. start using a net. you need lots of applications on the go.

professional people use LinkedIn and so do head hunters. I get that it's not right for all though
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    'BIG ISSUE!'
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • Ok,

I will give them a quick call tomorrow. and try to see if I can get five minutes with them. Seems to be the general consensus.

Just always the usual when you phone, can you send in your CV etc. Just updated the linkedin and I have recruitment companies on there so will see what comes from that.

Software is a problem for me, never got into PLC or any form of code. Hardware, faultfinding, prototyping, debugging etc is all great. Would love the self employed route, put that is a mammoth undertaking and I wouldn't even know where to get a constant supply of work to cover all the bills etc.

But RN is the way I want to go, for whatever reason that doesn't work, then maybe self employed in some discipline could be viable.
  • Quickie, just followed the company on linked in and the Technical Production Director has come up as a 2nd degree connection (I remember his name).

Would it be advisable to send him a mail on linkedin?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Quickie, just followed the company on linked in and the Technical Production Director has come up as a 2nd degree connection (I remember his name).

Would it be advisable to send him a mail on linkedin?
    Better than just rocking up unannounced I reckon. At least then he can see that somebody he knows, knows you. Best explain who your common contact is in the email.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]