Team My Man - transfer rumours / end of season review

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
edited October 2015 in Pro race
As the end of the season is near, I thought it might be fun to look back at the picks at the start of the year and see how they did, whether they are still personal favourites and whether anyone caught the eye as a possible for next year. Picks in case you can't remember.

My original team ranked in order of accomplishment for the year.

Degenkolb
Aru
Contador
Cavendish
Tony Martin
Stybar
Dan Martin
Sep Vanmarcke
Betancur

Pretty mixed bag, I think that Degenkolb to Betancur covers quite a range of performance this year. I'm really not sure what I was thinking signing Betancur, I think his contract won't be renewed.

Despite another year of punctures, I still believe in Sep. He's going to be there next year. As is Dan Martin even after a year of mistimed attacks. Maybe fans are blind.

One of things I can't decide is whether it is reasonable to drop Aru, because of, well...... his riding face. Seems harsh, but I can't believe even his mother likes his race face and it's hard being fan. That said, 1st in the Vuelta and 2nd in the Giro with some attacking riding made for some good viewing.

As for new, up and coming riders, there were a few that caught my attention that I have now forgotten, so keen to see riders people suggest.

I really warmed to Sagan and Valverde this year. There is something to really admire in the breadth of their talents.

Comments

• Let's have a look shall we?

Keisse: 3 wins and picked for the worlds. His best road season yet.
    De Gendt: 2 GTS and a mountain jersey in Paris nice. Satisfactory
    Devenyns: did nothing all year. Disaster
    Farrar: God loves a tryer. He was active in a lot of races and did some road captain stuff too.
    Wiggins: Hour Record. Decent stab at PR. Justified his place with one monster turn on Haghoek in omloop.
    Cav: lots of wins few big ones.
    Ten Dam: customary crash. No results
    Stybar: Tour stage, strade bianchi. Top work

I promoted Benoot from the Dev squad to replace a retiring wiggins and he had a cracker too.

Next year i think Ten Dam and DD are gone and Theuns and Wallys are in.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    the search function if bobbins so I'm not trawling back to double check my entire team. However, from memory:

Betancur: why? Guy's clearly a weapons grade bellend.
    Demare: Still think he can do something at Roubaix
    Naironman: Good egg.
    Bouhanni. had a bad year.

Guys who migh tget picked up for next season:

Vuillermoz. Rides like a guppy, kills like a bee.
    Gougeard. Still not sure what sort of rider he is tbh, but i like him.
    Latour. Next Big Thing. Plus a Tour winner called Latour would be hella funny - kinda the opposite of if Segolene Royale had been elected President.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • TheBigBean
    the search function if bobbins so I'm not trawling back to double check my entire team.

There's a link in my original post!
  • The_Boy
    the search function if bobbins so I'm not trawling back to double check my entire team.

There's a link in my original post!

Ah yes. That'll teach me for posting on internet fora at the same time as designing networks in Packet Tracer.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    the search function if bobbins so I'm not trawling back to double check my entire team. However, from memory:

Betancur: why? Guy's clearly a weapons grade bellend.
    Demare: Still think he can do something at Roubaix
    Naironman: Good egg.
    Bouhanni. had a bad year.

Guys who migh tget picked up for next season:

Vuillermoz. Rides like a guppy, kills like a bee.
    Gougeard. Still not sure what sort of rider he is tbh, but i like him.
    Latour. Next Big Thing. Plus a Tour winner called Latour would be hella funny - kinda the opposite of if Segolene Royale had been elected President.

So to expand:
    Barguil - did ok, though don't think he's not the great GC hope people were expecting him to be. Doesn't seem to want to be either. I find this refreshing.

Pinot - Bad Tour, but salvaged with stage win and had a good year overall. Definitely improving, imo.

Bardet - same as above. ish. needs to work on his TT if he's serious about chasing GC.

Betancur - Silly boy.

Sepulveda - Also a silly boy, but for different reasons.

Quintana - genuinely had me on the edge of my seat going up Alpe - and if Froome hasn't had Porte +1 holding his hand it is quite feasible that he could have caved in mentally. I know pros are a cut above mentally as much as physically, but serious pressure was on Froome for most of that race. Except Jan would probably eat him if they ever met. Still a good egg.

Bouhanni - bad year that doesn't justify his salary or his bluster. He'salways had a bit of the Cav about him , imo, so hopefully he comes back strong next year.

Demare - Poor year apart from a strong looking ride at Roubaix.

Reza - was top lead-out man at the Tour in '14, afaic. Coquard wouldn't have had a sniff of a stage without Reza guiding him, so I was surprised not to see him lining up in Demare's train. I can only imagine a conflict of personality or something, because he was signed for that express purpose.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227
    Boonen,
    Cancellara
    Tankink
    Terpstra
    Pozzivivo
    Stijn Vandenbergh
    Tjallingii
    Ten Dam.
    Vanmarcke

All in all, sh!te.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    How long will it take for FF to do a season's review of all "his men"? :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • TheBigBean
    Seeing as frenchfighter was the inspiration for the previous thread, I've knocked up the following list based on his original 9 man team and the team he posted in his goodbye post. This brings his 9 man squad down to 21.

Retained

Alaphilippe
    Aru
    Barguil
    Boonen
    Cancellara
    Chaves
    Contador
    Dan Martin
    Formolo
    Kwiatkowski
    Nibali
    Quintana
    Tiralongo
    Tony Martin
    Valverde
    Yates
    Yates

Out
    Arredondo
    Fernandez
    Geraint
    Hansen (Adam)
    Heanao (Seb)
    Hesjedal
    Machado
    Nieve
    Rodriguez
    Rogers
    Sep
    Sepulveda.
    Stannard
    Ulissi
    Valgren

In
    Dunbar
    Gilbert
    Latour
    Meintjes
  • HEY you beat me to it ! I was waiting until after Paris Tours :)

Kelderman
    This was the year Wilco and you let me down Some flashes of brilliance but the firework never ignited. You've still got next year but I may have lost faith in you 4/10

Pinot

Oh Thibault - what a build up to the Tour - the Swiss ride was first class then some sketchy riding in the early stages - but 2nd into Mende 4th into Pra Loup and that win on Huez - it fizzed . Rested you are best as shown at Lombardi. You are retained 8/10
    Barguil
    Something special lurks within. It will come Consistency but not a killer result 7/10
    Coquard
    It's a crowded sprinters market. You need to translate 2.1 performances into the next level up - 5th in the points jersey comp shows some determined spirit though 6/10
    Mollema
    Some were writing you off. No chance Odd team for you though 7/10
    Dumoulin (Tom)
    Ha ha Good lad 9/10
    Navardauskas
    Honey badger hmmm going to need a bit more 5/10
    Leukemans
    Old skool madness - just didnt quite work as well as last year 6/10
    Wiggins
    Swanning around and flouncing not that dignified for final season 2/10
  • Boonen,
    Cancellara
    Tankink
    Terpstra
    Pozzivivo
    Stijn Vandenbergh
    Tjallingii
    Ten Dam.
    Vanmarcke

All in all, sh!te.

Vandenbergh did pull off the dumbest racing move of the season though. Take something from that
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Well here was mine:
    Dan Martin
    Ian Stannard
    Geraint Thomas
    Tao Geoghegan Hart - he's from Hackney, so I'm laying claim.
    Songezo Jim
    Daniel Teklehaymanot
    Merhawi Kudus
    Gerald Ciolek
    Natnael Berhane

I reserve the right to draft in any other MTN-Qhubeka rider at any point, I believe I've earnt it, though I may draw the line at Theo Bos.

Dan didn't have a great season. Well placed lots of times, but timed it wrong. Every time. Performance related pay next season.
    Stannard: beast mode.
    Thomas: definitely getting a My Man contract extension for next season. I might even source him some new Jawbones.
    Tao: Cooking. Ain't gonna be droppin a Hackney Gooner, kna't I mean?
    Songezo: Not quite so visible as in the snow of MSR, but putting in his shift. Stays.
    Tekkers: 'Nuff said. He's got 'em.
    Kudus: More to come, he's 21.
    Ciolek: Errr... sorry mate, think it's over between us.
    Berhane: Oh yeah, some more of that.

I'll be keeping the rest of MTN-Qhubeka (Dimension data) on the books for the next season as well. I had Cummings taking the piss out of French cornering in the Tour, Meintjes hanging with the big boys (sorry though, you're out next season, I can't have a Lampre rider in my crew, and EBH looking like the new EBH)

Of course, that means I'll get Cav, but hey, I've earned him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Boonen,
    Cancellara
    Tankink
    Terpstra
    Pozzivivo
    Stijn Vandenbergh
    Tjallingii
    Ten Dam.
    Vanmarcke

All in all, sh!te.

Vandenbergh did pull off the dumbest racing move of the season though. Take something from that

We talking about when My Man Stannard beasted the entire Etixx team? :-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited October 2015
    Staying:
    Thomas & Rowe: Selected for being from Cardiff and they have remained strong in that respect. Also had good seasons
    Froome: Great season and solidifies his place in the team by being the favoured hate figure for internet loons
    Rodriguez: Didn't win 'a big one', but there's still hope.
    Kudus: Didn't do much of note, but this is a long term project

Axed:
    Cavendish: Moved to the My Man equivalent of the House of Lords
    Evans: Similarly moved to the Lords
    Gerrans: Still annoys idiots, but horrible luck this year and he's getting on a bit
    Tao Geoghan Hart: I'm not having another season at Continental level. Also surpassed by Cardiff's Owain Doull in the promising Brit role.
    Kwiatkowski: Actually dropped for Kudus, but now not available for selection due to my three Sky maximum rule. (Also excludes selecting Poels)

New signings:
    Gesink: He's had awful fortune during his career, but I think he's ready to realise his full potential
    Chaves: Because he has his own reality TV show on YouTube (it's called Back Stage Pass). There are other cyclists on it, but Chaves is the star.
    Porte: Now free for selection after leaving Sky
    Serpa: Because Bandito moustaches are not just for Movember
    Tossato: For us over 40
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Luke Rowe - good ride at P-R, good work at the TDF
    Geraint Thomas - a monster effort in the Tour, and found some very spectacular ways of coming off his bike this year
    Michal Kwiatowski - solid, not spectacular, but a good win at the Amstel
    Chris Froome - did the main job
    Joaquim Rodriguez - raged against the dying of the light, but not with great success
    Mark Cavendish - OK year for almost anyone else, but below Cav's standard
    Ryder Hesjadal - brave riding in the GTs
    Dan Martin - a bit innocuous
    Marianne Vos - injured, but I still love her
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • When will it be time to select Team My Man for 2016 plz?

This needs serious prep and is not to be taken lightly
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    When will it be time to select Team My Man for 2016 plz?

As far as I'm concerned, the season starts at Het Volk (old school).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • When will it be time to select Team My Man for 2016 plz?

As far as I'm concerned, the season starts at Het Volk (old school).

I'm all about the track season for the next few months so plenty of time to plot my selection
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Stijn Vandenberg
    Guillaume Van Kiersbulk
    Nikki Terpstra
    Moreno Hofland
    Sep Vanmarcke
    Tony Gallopin
    Antony Delaplace
    Eduardo Sepulvelda
    Peter Kennaugh

I'm guilty of front loading for the classicswhich is a bit of a mistake but .. Anyway we know Vanmarcke misfired. Delaplace didn't disappoint and Sepulvelda did ok...if there was a team car about.

A good season for Little Pete, I thought his win at the Dauphine was first class. Gallopin is a there or thereabouts rider at the moment. Overall though...meh
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Brambilla
    Bad crash in the ardennes classics ruined his season, admittedly with fresher legs he has finished the season well with a high finish at la vuelta, a top 10 in Lombardy and mixing it in Abu Dhabi. Be good to see him win a stage at a GT and is RETAINED for that reason.

Kennaugh
    Nice win at the Dauphin, solid domestique duties wish he had switched teams but for pure nationalism reasons RETAINED

Mollema
    Bit meh tbh, top 10 at the tour without doing anything special. DROPPED

Ten Dam
    Every team needs a solid domestique and for being a thoroughly nice guy RETAINED

Matthews
    Good start to the season, promising in the classics. Every team needs a bit of swagger RETAINED

Aru
    Promised and delivered but not that bothered about him so DROPPED

Majka
    Good season overall with a podium at La Vuelta, RETAINED

Nibali
    Up and down season, but his TdF stage win and Monument were great rides RETAINED

Wiggins (and G from May onwards) Wiggo played a solid team role, G showing his versatility, RETAINED

Transferred IN

Bardet: Cracking win at the Dauphine exciting talent
    Gougeard: Impressive breakout season, be great fun watching how he goes in 2016
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Is there not a fantasy cycling game of some sort online where you could have a "BR My Man" league?
  • Is there not a fantasy cycling game of some sort online where you could have a "BR My Man" league?

the my man thing isn't about winning but backing certain riders and keeping an eye on their season - it adds a bit of variation to the usual suspects
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Contador
    Quintana
    Nibali
    Froome
    Cancellara
    Sagan
    Kittel
    Kwiatkowski
    Cavendish

Not a terrible return with 2 grand tours, some stage wins, a monument and a world champs - but not a great return either.

Much of it was down to my selection policy - i thought you got dibs on a rider if you picked them first and then no-one else was allowed to pick them, so i rushed to pick this lot thinking it covered most races. I still remember the childish amusement i felt when i thought i'd got the My Man claim on Contador before anyone else :P
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    I think the only 2 riders who publically received my coveted "My Man 2015" status were Porte and Kiriyenka. Obviously this spurred Kiri onto great things but it looks like the pressure of it was a bit much for Richie who started strongly and finished, well, less strongly.

They'll both be relieved to hear that they've made the cut again though and I'm particularly looking forward to watching how Richie gets on at BMC.

The remaining 7 members of MM16 have yet to be confirmed.
  • Contador
    Quintana
    Nibali
    Froome
    Cancellara
    Sagan
    Kittel
    Kwiatkowski
    Cavendish

Not a terrible return with 2 grand tours, some stage wins, a monument and a world champs - but not a great return either.

Much of it was down to my selection policy - i thought you got dibs on a rider if you picked them first and then no-one else was allowed to pick them, so i rushed to pick this lot thinking it covered most races. I still remember the childish amusement i felt when i thought i'd got the My Man claim on Contador before anyone else :P

Ooof, away with ya, man
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Chris Froome
    Fabian Cancellara
    Peter Sagan
    Marcel Kittle (sorry Cav :(, hope you prove me wrong)
    Michael Kwiatoski
    Nairo Quitana
    Tony Martin (in a league of his own now Wiggins has "gone" and Canc doesnt care)
    Rafal Maijka
    Ian Stannard

CF - good stuff, unlucky in the Vuelta
    FC - desperately unlucky again
    PS - WC rounds of a consistently excellent but not stunning season - usual story
    MKi - meh
    MKw - disappointing, can't play of the cute little flower thing for ever
    NQ - solid but needs to start really stamping his authority. The Chris Robshaw/England Rugby of cycling
    TM - not great really though pulled at heartstrings repeatedly during the TdF
    RM - solid but needs to step up now Bertie is on his retirement lap
    IS - hero and vanquisher of foolish Belgians

Early transfer season changes
    OUT
    Kiwatowski
    Martin

IN
    John Degenkolb and his 'tache
    Tommy Dumolin

Canc, Qunitana and Majika need to show some promise during the off season for me
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ^how are they going to do that during the off-season? :P
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Given that this is all based on emotion anyway, words, interviews and deeds
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Rigoberto Uran
    Geraint Thomas
    Cadel Evans
    Tony Martin
    Richie Porte
    Bradley Wiggins
    Niki Terpstra
    Joaquim Rodriguez (although around Vuelta time I get a bit bored of him taking his 15th uphill sprint and still not winning the damn thing)
    Steve Cummings

Bit disappointing from Uran and Terpstra. Other than that the non retirees all had their moments. Big highlight was Cummings tour stage.

Probably ditch Terpstra and Martin so four free slots for next year. Wouldnt drop Uran.

Might even put Valverde in, at least that way I would have a "My Man" in almost every race.