Pro team kit. A big no no?

Packman85
Packman85 Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in Road beginners
I have been cycling on and off for the past 3 or 4 years. I'm thinking of joining a local club as I'm sure riding on your own is not quite the same as in a group. From a football background, for me it's acceptable to wear replica kit. If I were to turn up in say a Movistar kit to my local club would I look like an idiot (or typical newbie)

Thanks

Comments

• bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I wouldn't.. But then I have quite strong opinions about Team Kit being worn by non-team riders.. I simply think it shouldn't be allowed. In any sport..

But that apparently is just me..

And whilst I do judge people on wearing Team kit (Esp if Team Sky and the (often overweight) rider is riding a black Pinarello with Dura-Ace on it at the same time - which to me screams "All the gear and no idea"..), I won't let that affect having a conversation with that person...

Just my opinion.. Wear what you like and don't care what others think of you.. Once you stop caring (and that doesn't mean be rude to them - it just means let them think what they think), the world is an easier place to live in...

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • It's personal choice really.

From my experience I've found most cycling clubs very friendly and you get a range of people. I would say join the club and buy the club kit. That way you feel part of the club.

At my club and most people buy cycling gear that does a functional job or to their budget. There is no reason not to wear replica kit, but personally I stopped doing that when I was 12/13.

It does make me smile though when you see a 50 year old bloke in full team SKY kit, beer belly etc.....
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It's your choice. I don't have a problem with people wearing team kit, but I don't like to see people wearing WC or national champion stripes if they haven't earned them. A fat rider in a KOM jesey who is no good at getting up a ramp let alone a hill is always going to raise a giggle. As for turning up to your first club ride in team replica kit; your choice again, but I wouldn't. Buy their kit and use that.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ah, the monthly 'pro kit' thread....
  • Wear it, if anybody does say anything, it says more about them than you. You might get the odd bit of banter about wearing pro kit but it's usually just a bit of fun and fine as long as you have a sense of humour.
    In our club there is a guy who has full Orica kit, simply because it matches the colours of his bike. There is a guy with FDJ kit, not sure why, maybe he just likes the look of it. The 'classic' HTC Highroad kit occasionally makes an appearance.

Wear your pro kit, who cares, if there is somebody who cares, who cares! If you join the club, you'll probably buy the club jersey anyway and you'll wear that on club rides.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    I've got a Team Belkin aquazero gillet. RRP is £99, but I got it for £20. Best bit of kit I have, and if anyone thinks I'm a Belkin wannabe then I don't care 'cause it cost me £20 and it's great.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Imposter wrote:

Well to be fair, it is the 10th today, so the topic is later than usual. :lol:

OP, wear what you want. Who cares what other people think! Wear what you find comfortable, what you can afford and what you like.

Quite often, especially at this time of year you can get some great discounts on team clothing (end of season sales).
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Just wear whatever fits you and you like the look of. Some people in road biking are obsessed with meaningless rules and conventions which most riders don't give a second thought to. Just enjoy the riding and the company.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Wear what you like, the people who take such offence or laugh/snigger at people in team kit just need to be avoided and develop a better opinion of themselves.

Good luck with the club and hope it develops your cycling.
  • probably be a laugh if and when you turned up , the rest were all in KAS jerseys and hung you out on the front and half wheeling you..
    I think Bob6397 , you have deeper issues than team kit alone...
    very poor attempt at troll thread... 2/10 and being generous at that
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447

It does make me smile though when you see a 50 year old bloke in full team SKY kit, beer belly etc.....

Damn Team Sky and their popularity, encouraging overweight people to get out and exercise. They need to be ridiculed mercilessly until they pack it in again and end up another drain on the NHS.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I wouldn't wear team kit, probably because I'm getting on a bit, and I'm slow. I agree that you should be able to wear what you like, but if OP is going on a first club ride with people he doesn't know, maybe it's not the best idea to go all kitted up like a Movistar pro, especially if a beginner as regards group riding.
  • Some interesting points, thanks guys. I just think the pro kit looks so much better!

I suppose Enough people must buy them for rapha (for example) to have team sky kit on sale with so many variants. Dont see why there's such a stigma attached.

Can't see myself buying a club kit and turning up in it on my first ride though, that seems worse than turning up in sky kit (or a mallot jaune).
  • ForumNewbie
    Some interesting points, thanks guys. I just think the pro kit looks so much better!

I suppose Enough people must buy them for rapha (for example) to have team sky kit on sale with so many variants. Dont see why there's such a stigma attached.

Can't see myself buying a club kit and turning up in it on my first ride though, that seems worse than turning up in sky kit (or a mallot jaune).
    Agree no point in buying club kit until you have had a ride with them and know that you definitely want to join the club. If you don't feel self conscious going along in your Movistar kit, fair enough, go for it then.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

Damn Team Sky and their popularity, encouraging overweight people to get out and exercise. They need to be ridiculed mercilessly until they pack it in again and end up another drain on the NHS.

I remember riding over the Glandon and coming across a group of Mamils in Team Sky kit and my mate started having a pop at them. Turned out they worked for Sky and were provided with the kit by their company.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Imposter wrote:

Well to be fair, it is the 10th today, so the topic is later than usual. :lol:

OP, wear what you want. Who cares what other people think! Wear what you find comfortable, what you can afford and what you like.

Quite often, especially at this time of year you can get some great discounts on team clothing (end of season sales).
    I think you will find most of the pro kit worn comes from china and is made by 12 year olds
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wear whatever you want. If you join a club the normal etiquette is that you wear their kit. Some clubs are keener on this than others.
  • FPKW is an acronym in its own right for a reason.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Just thinking back.....when I first joined a club my may concern was keeping up with the group. Although I had been riding fairly well by myself, it took a good few group rides to feel comfortable.

Now I look forward to the Sunday club run.....you can't beat riding and talking about bikes!
  • Jonnyyorks
    Jonnyyorks Posts: 13
    edited October 2015
    For some reason in the uk wearing pro kit is frowned upon by a lot of people and you've clearly picked up in this. Going on a group ride for the first time comes with an element of nerves and personally I wouldn't as it is just one more thing to worry about or play on your mind.
  • I mean, there's no law against it so wear what you want and all that, but I think you wanted some honest feedback about how wearing pro team kit is perceived.

Rightly or wrongly, wearing pro kit can make you seem like a bit of a newbie to the sport, uninitiated into its arcane customs and rituals :-)

I personally wouldn't. I think plain kit says that you're prepared to let you legs do the talking, rather than your logos.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I may not have been cycling as long as some but I predate the boom and I know plenty of people who have raced up to Elite level going back decades. I don't know anyone who would consciously avoid wearing a team jersey just because it's a team jersey - people may have a bit of a laugh if you turn up in matching shorts, top, socks etc but it would be a bit of a laugh not looking down on them for it.

Plenty of people round here used to wear old USPostal/Discovery/Astana kit (and ride the old team bikes) because a local guy worked as a mechanic for them and used to flog the old kit (as it turns out this was part of Armstrong's drugs fund) - I'm talking about people who had raced back into the 1980s and beyond - if anyone had thought there was something wrong with it I'm pretty sure most would have thought they needed to get a life.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If anyone at the club actually takes exception, go ride with another club.

The real world is not like the internetz and likely no one really gives a sh*t or is going to tell you about why it's OK but they don't personally do it..
  • The comparison with football is a good one in my view - wearing the top of your chosen team is a perfectly normal thing to do, but turning up to a kickabout after work in the full replica kit including boots might be considered a bit odd, but they sell it, so clearly someone is buying it. If you do buy the Sky bike and the Sky kit then you do look like a bit of a wannabe, but it's your money.
  • niallmo
    niallmo Posts: 103
    I don't think I'd do current kit but I do have an Indurain era Banesto jersey and windjammer. My wife thinks the jersey looks good enough to wear off the bike with jeans.

I suppose it's a bit difficult to "follow" a particular team unlike say, football. I believe Banesto eventually morphed into Movistar. I was a big fan of ONCE and Carrera too.

I'll wear my football shirts and buy current year ones.
  • ForumNewbie
    The comparison with football is a good one in my view - wearing the top of your chosen team is a perfectly normal thing to do, but turning up to a kickabout after work in the full replica kit including boots might be considered a bit odd, but they sell it, so clearly someone is buying it. If you do buy the Sky bike and the Sky kit then you do look like a bit of a wannabe, but it's your money.
    Making the comparison with football fans, I wonder if it's more acceptable to wear a Team Sky jersey if going to watch a pro cycle race and cheering on Chris Froome and the team, rather than wearing it while out riding.
  • The comparison with football is a good one in my view - wearing the top of your chosen team is a perfectly normal thing to do, but turning up to a kickabout after work in the full replica kit including boots might be considered a bit odd, but they sell it, so clearly someone is buying it. If you do buy the Sky bike and the Sky kit then you do look like a bit of a wannabe, but it's your money.
    Making the comparison with football fans, I wonder if it's more acceptable to wear a Team Sky jersey if going to watch a pro cycle race and cheering on Chris Froome and the team, rather than wearing it while out riding.

Definitely, and I don't see how anyone could begrudge you that. The question I tend to think along the lines of is whether it would look worse to be old, tubby and slow wearing full team kit and riding team issue bike, or pro rider age and build, and doing it with the serious face on - as if to say you think you just might be good enough.
  • ForumNewbie
    The comparison with football is a good one in my view - wearing the top of your chosen team is a perfectly normal thing to do, but turning up to a kickabout after work in the full replica kit including boots might be considered a bit odd, but they sell it, so clearly someone is buying it. If you do buy the Sky bike and the Sky kit then you do look like a bit of a wannabe, but it's your money.

Definitely, and I don't see how anyone could begrudge you that. The question I tend to think along the lines of is whether it would look worse to be old, tubby and slow wearing full team kit and riding team issue bike, or pro rider age and build, and doing it with the serious face on - as if to say you think you just might be good enough.
    If a young fit serious looking guy riding with full team kit and latest carbon race model was dropped on the ride by an old guy on 20 year old bike, that may prove embarrassing for him.

Thinking about it though, the fact that a guy wearing team kit cycling is at least out participating in a sport and trying to get fit, should be getting more kudos than a football fan wearing his team's shirt, just going to watch a match.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    And whilst I do judge people on wearing Team kit (Esp if Team Sky and the (often overweight) rider is riding a black Pinarello with Dura-Ace on it at the same time - which to me screams "All the gear and no idea"..), I won't let that affect having a conversation with that person..
    :) That's part of why I stopped coming on here, that ATGNI attitude. What you mean is you see someone on a decent bike and don't feel they've earned it, esp if said fatty is wearing team kit.

What are we supposed to ride then? Is a Halfords Carrera ok for you? Maybe a bottom of the range Trek with Tiagra? I just don't get the envy - if someone can afford a decent bike they should buy one. How can you tell looking at someone like me, mid 50s, enjoy life so a bit of spare tyre but been riding bikes since I was 7 and have worked up over the years to a lovely top spec carbon Di2 machine (but no team kit thanks), that a nice bike = ATGNI? Who's to say people like that shouldn't ride a bike like that? Just because I never did set the world alight in my younger days and never will now at this age, it's a bit of a commie attitude to sneer at anyone who rides a decent bike but isn't a 26 y-o racing snake with a cupboard full of medals at home.

And how is it always 'No Idea'? Not 'quite handy but never quite made it', or 'strong as an ox and can ride all day but lacks the turn of speed'. No. It's only full-on top club rider or fat idiot with No Idea apparently. I don't know when you last stripped your bike down to the rivets to clean & service it or whether you have to go to the shop to have your tyres blown up, but seeing someone in team kit on a nice bike isn't an indicator of either level of ability. The only indicator you have is your built-in prejudice & envy.

Rejoice that there are enough people willing to pay the money for nice bikes and are keen enough to get out and use them.

<baffled...>
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Don't tell anyone, but you will frequently see me in Fulham Football Club-badged bibshorts and jersey (a) all the time in the gym on the wattbike, and (b) on the bike on the way to and from Craven Cottage on matchdays. In winter I will generally don a pair of courtesy trousers before taking my seat at the grounds. Does that count as wearing pro kit? I do adopt a very serious expression. :wink:

I also have a La Vie Claire l/s jersey, no one has ever even looked sideways at me, but probably on account of the implied retro exemption from the Rule.