IRD 11 Speed Shimano Compatible Cassette

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited October 2015 in Workshop
I'm speccing a new bike and it'll have either Ultegra 6800 or Di2 6870 (haven't decided which yet) but ideally I want a 12-30 cassette rather than the standard 11-32 offered by Shimano. I have found IRD make an 11-speed "Shimano compatible" 12-30, does anybody have any experience of these? I've found very few reviews on the web and a couple of these are negative which makes me nervous. Has anybody on here used these cassettes with Ultegra?

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The first question would have to be why on earth you'd want to have 11 speeds at a closer ratio? The idea is to give reasonable gaps between ratios and still maximise both low and high end gearing, so why go to something like a 12-30 and just end up with a whole load more gears that are more or less the same?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've just taken a well-used IRD 8-speed cassette off my touring bike, had absolutely zero problems with it. It's probably been on there for three years.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    lostboysaint - I must admit I hadn't considered it that way. I currently run 12-30 10-speed and it suits me on all terrain (I've ridden flat triathlon courses and the Alps and Pyrenees on it) so I was looking for similar. Is there a where on the web that shows where different gear combinations overlap?