Removing quick-release wheels

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited October 2015 in Road beginners
What's the best way to support the bike if you have to remove the front or rear quick-release wheels at the roadside? I've only ever removed wheels in my garage at home where the bike was supported in a raised position on a cantilever stand so there was no danger of any damage being caused.

Do people turn the bike upside down or lay it on its side once a wheel has been removed at the roadside?

Comments

• fnq59
    fnq59 Posts: 37
    All of the above really, up side down if the ground is suitable, eg. won't scratch brakes, carbon etc or on its side, but with drive side always up!

If there is a suitable post/fence available I sometimes hook the saddle on top of it to suspend it vertically, but only if it is reasonably secure.
  • Anywhere I can put it without digging the fork/drivetrain into the ground. I've only had 3 flats in the last 2 years (2 thorn punctures and 1 blowout) but on those occasions - laid down on its side in a field, wedged in a beech hedge & bar hooked over a gate.
  • What's the best way to support the bike if you have to remove the front or rear quick-release wheels at the roadside? I've only ever removed wheels in my garage at home where the bike was supported in a raised position on a cantilever stand so there was no danger of any damage being caused.

Do people turn the bike upside down or lay it on its side once a wheel has been removed at the roadside?

I generally find upside down is by far the easiest, the bike is then supporting itself and you have a stable platform to work with. Not always possible with an uneven surface in which case just make sure that it's drive side up.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Front wheel - no need - it can rest right way up.

Rear wheel - only upside down if on a nice grassy area. Never concrete - dont want to scuff things.

If it is concrete - I lay the bike down gently or even better - find some grass verge.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Ask a clubmate to hold it for you.