Open Tubular pinch protection?

Hausnfranz
Hausnfranz Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Cyclocross
I am interested in something like the Challenge Baby Limus, which is an open tubular. There seem to be quite a few of these types, but all I've heard is that inner tubes for cyclocross and off-road will likely get pinch flats - is this not the case with specific combinations?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'd say open tubulars are more likely to pinch flat due to the soft compound. I don't really see the advantage over normal clinchers to be honest.
  • since they have a inner tube, and I'm assuming running tubless is probably not viable, run too little air and you'll pinch flat.

how much air will depend on what you mean by off road? I don't race but roll about rocky/bridleways, so keep the pressures high, the biggest concern is CX tyres are fairly fragile so can rip the sidewalls on sharp bits of flint etc.

If your racing thus far (i've seen) you can drop the pressures right down.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Any clincher tyre is prone to snakebites, particularly at low pressures - but also depends on the course and the skill of the rider. You can also put sealant in the inner tube as a preventative measure but tubeless is a better option for grip and puncture prevention
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..