Odd Down Summer Series

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited February 2016 in Amateur race
I've been to about 5 of these now but there seems to be no telling when the next one will be.

I look on the British Cycling site for the entry page but it frequently isn't there. For instance there was no entry last week and there isn't one now so I have no idea if there is a race next Tuesday or not.

My guess is the races have to be registered with BC in order to get points added to peoples licenses. So by that theory I should not have missed any races.

Can anyone confirm this?

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • earth
    Looks like it. Do you know if it has run every day on the calendar? I want to know if I have missed any.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Sorry earth, no idea as I googled to get that info - I suggest you contact the club where this is hosted, Somer Valley Cycling Club.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    There's not been a lot of them and lots have been cancelled. Not a lot of clubs seem to be willing to host them and I think the fee's went up? A great track that's going to waste.
  • earth
    There's not been a lot of them and lots have been cancelled. Not a lot of clubs seem to be willing to host them and I think the fee's went up? A great track that's going to waste.

It is a great track, busted a gut to get up there this evening after work only to find no racing. EDIT: So I paid a pound and did some laps where I concentrated on cornering speed.

On the subject of the track though, has anyone noticed how the surface is covered in chunks of green a white glass? It is easiest to see on the uphill drag to the start/finish line. It is embedded in the asphalt as if it was mixed in when it was laid. I have never seen asphalt with glass it it before and it does make me wonder how we came to have glass mixed into the asphalt on a bicycle race track. In a few years when the surface starts to come away it is going to be a puncture fest. It is as if someone looks at all the good things being done and purposely fcuks them up a bit.
  • Monkeh
    Monkeh Posts: 6
    There is glass in it, but it's heavily processed to remove any sharps. One of the benefits of it being there is to reduce warping in hot weather. Now we can all enjoy a few laps and rest easy :D