Rubbing/grating noise on new bike? (vid)

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I had a new bike delivered from CRC and after a quick ride round the back garden, I noticed a rubbing/grating noise from the rear somewhere. I thought it was just the brake pads rubbing to start with so took the pads out but it was still no better.

If I spin the back wheel, it seem to be in just one place and if I tilt the bike (while wheel is still spinning) with the cassette facing down it gets worse. If I tilt the bike the other way, its not as bad.

I made this video so you can hear the noise https://youtu.be/APDHGqWOr8c and the brake pads are out when I recorded it.

Any ideas on the cause of this noise? I can't see anything obvious thats rubbing?

Comments

• Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Sounds to me like rotor (brake disc) rubbing on caliper.

My girlfriend had a similar noise till I pointed out the stone stock in the tyre tread and catching on the frame.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Entirely normal. Ride away and it'll likely go once it's bedded in.

A bit of rub from time to time happens
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I guess that chunkers didn't read your post.

Slightly warped disc catching on the calliper, bend back or replace disc and centre the calliper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.