2012 CAAD10 105 > 2015/16 Supersix or Synapse (or ...)?

Oldfield
Oldfield Posts: 32
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I currently own a CAAD10. I don't know anything about the geometry of it (off the top of my head) other than the frame size, which is a 54. I love this bike. It's the only road bike I've owned, and one of a handful I've ridden. One other being my dad's 1979/1980 Halfords somethingorother that has 10 gears, weighs about as many tons and feels very very weird.

I would like to upgrade to something, probably in the next six months when I have lost what remains of my weight to be lost... probably 10-20kg, depending on how far I decide to go with it. I currently weigh just on the wrong side of 90kg. Slightly more as I've been a fat mess on holiday for a week.

Anyway - my girlfriend is currently looking at investing in a road bike and has tested a few. A Synapse and and an Emonda(?), a couple of Defy models and a TCR from Giant, somethingorother from Merida and I think that's it. I've had a go on all but the first two, just around a car park, but they felt so wrong to me. My bike just feels right, although perhaps I could do with being a bit more upright. I'm not a racer; I probably never will be. I bought the CAAD10 because it was on offer and I liked it when I just sat on it in the shop. It took several weeks for my neck to stop hurting from looking up, but now it just feels comfortable.

So I'm thinking I should stick with that sort of geometry and go for a Supersix Evo... because that should be the same as my bike, or has it changed enough in the last couple of years to feel different. I've not yet had a go on any Supersixes, nor modern Synapses.... I should and shall.

I don't really know what I'm asking here, but I guess what I want is a bike that's lighter, has better equipment on it and feels pretty much the same or slightly more comfortable.... am I just being an idiot? :)

Comments

• Err yes probably.... :-)

I suggest downgrading bike to ride to shops and pub with GF?

You've got a fast racy type bike. What else you want to do, go 0.5% faster to where exactly.

Sorry just my 2p worth but might save you a grand or so...
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Go on Pauls cycles and get a Evo slightly more comfortable and stick some 25mm tyres on it.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I've got a CAAD10 105 and I love it too, i have raceblades and use it when the weathers not so good.
    I've also got a SuperSix Evo di2 and it's a great bike - no doubt it's better than the CAAD.

I'm considering replacing one of these with a CAAD12 with mechanical ultegra or maybe DA before next summer. Bikes are not clinical machines, they are more than just a collection of numbers and specifications and weights.
  • I've got a CAAD10 105 and I love it too, i have raceblades and use it when the weathers not so good.
    I've also got a SuperSix Evo di2 and it's a great bike - no doubt it's better than the CAAD.

I'm considering replacing one of these with a CAAD12 with mechanical ultegra or maybe DA before next summer. Bikes are not clinical machines, they are more than just a collection of numbers and specifications and weights.

Thanks - do you notice a significant difference between the two bikes?
    I replaced my tired and crap RS10 wheels that came with it with some Fulcrum Racing 3s and although it's still a fair bit heavier than my girlfriend's dad's Cervelo S3 with Racing Zeros, it feels like a much better bike than it used to. It doesn't lose speed on the flats/slight descents, seems to go uphill a lot better than it used to and gets going FAR easier. This may of course be partly down to my improved fitness as I've ridden it more...

I guess I don't NEED a new bike, but I would like one sometime. I suppose as a reward to myself for not being so fat. At which point the '10 will be more of a poor weather bike. I'm not overly precious about my bike(s). They are tools to go places on, not for posing around on. I fell off the '10 after about 2 weeks of ownership after I rode over a suicidal chicken at 34mph. I came off far worse than the bike, but less so than the chicken. The bike had a few road rash grazes on the shifter/lever, saddle, bar tape, bent bars, slightly out of true wheel, broken inner tube etc. And a big chunk of paint missing from the fork.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Good choice, my CAAD10 has Fulcrum 3's which I put on in place of the originals as well.
    My SuperSix has Fulcrum zeros and on a set of scales it's probably 1-1.5KG lighter than the CAAD. On the road it's maybe a bit smoother and I can't really say anything bad about it.

Except, I don't love it as much as the CAAD.