trying to get a bike need help

waleed-mirza
waleed-mirza Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in MTB beginners
I recently moved to the uk and have never owned a mtb. I want to spend no more than 150 - 200£ on the bike. Is it a good idea to buy a new bike from argos, etc or get a used bike i would appreciate if someone can specify what to do as i look forward to both daily commute and trails. Thankyou

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    At that budget, buy used.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Don't buy a bike from argos whatever you do.

At a minimum I'd look at the carrera vengeance from Halfords, but you'd have to wait for a sale and I'm not sure they'd go as low as £200 brand new.

I'd really look at a used bike, you can get something pretty good for £200 as a lot of people buy bikes, they sit in the garage unused for a few years until they decide to sell them, and I'm sure that the kind experienced people on here could help you out with that.
  • @Mattyfez thanks for the advice. I really dont have an idea what to get for even 200£. Any suggestions what i could find used for that budget?
  • @Mattyfez thanks for the advice. I really dont have an idea what to get for even 200£. Any suggestions what i could find used for that budget?

'Sold Listings' on eBay is a good guide to 2nd hand prices, or doing searches on Gumtree.

A Carrera Vengeance went yesterday at £92 in what looked like okay nick with upgraded wheels. Another went for £185 with extras and upgrades, another £200...
    Carrera Centos in what looked like in new in the photos went for £161
    Carrera Valour went for £155

A lot of Carrera's on eBay! 8)