which dropper post, RS reverb or Thomson elite?

pigglet
pigglet Posts: 68
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
As above, finally decided that droppers aren't just for girls and am going to eat my words and invest. Not really bothered about the price difference but a couple of mates have commented on the sideways play on their reverbs so wondered if the thomson offering was any better???

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have not had any probs with my Thomson despite frequent intense neglect. Sounded a bit gritty at times over winter but it's fine now. Obv there's no play anywhere

I like it because it's unobtrusive and requires very little attention apart from light lubrication now and then
  • Everybody seems to have trouble with their Reverbs if the forums are anything to go by. And, true to form, a friend is having intermittent trouble with his. I suspect, though, that there might be a lot more Reverbs out there than Elites, so that might go some way to balancing that out.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I think there are a lot of people who have problems with Reverbs just because there are just so many more than any other brand.
    A little sideways play in the Reverb is normal and perfectly fine.
    I wouldn't have any cable operated dropper, they seem to jam up when they get really mucky.
  • I have had a KS Lev Integra for a year - no problems with it at any stage, faultless and easy to fit. Cable driven means you dont need to bleed it to fit it, not had any problems with action in mud, lever acts as lock on clamp for ODI grips so blends in nicely on the bars (if you have ODI which I do).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I wouldn't have any cable operated dropper, they seem to jam up when they get really mucky.

Once you figure out it's the cable that's the issue it's very easy to keep on top of. First winter on mine it started getting sticky and I wasted a lot of time looking for more complicated issues. Then I figured out it was just the cable and, now, a bit of very simple periodic cleaning and I'm sorted all the time. Before I figured that out I was on the verge of replacing it, but the only reason I'd change now would if I could save a substantial amount of weight.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not too concerned about a cable mech getting covered in crud as the bike wears a mudhugger so the underside of the seat tends to stay clean and dry even in winter. Erring towards the Thomson......
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The seatpost end of the cable is on the side and I've not had any problems with it. The little cable guide is also pretty good it encourages the cable to go down rather than back when you drop the post.
  • Everybody seems to have trouble with their Reverbs if the forums are anything to go by. And, true to form, a friend is having intermittent trouble with his. I suspect, though, that there might be a lot more Reverbs out there than Elites, so that might go some way to balancing that out.

Local evidence suggests that it's a very vocal minority on the forums. Very few Reverb issues encountered by local riders and the LBS hasn't had too many returns or service issues with them either.

I have two, bounce around on them quite hard with my 98kg and despite a servicing regime as thorough as a VW emissions report have no issues whatsoever.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    No experience of the Thomson but if you store or transport your bike upside down regulary dont buy a Reverb they can suffer from problems. A friend left his bike upside down over a weekend in the back of his car and the post wouldnt go back up we tried pulling it up but no good we had to open up the remote bleed port to get it to extend by hand then bleed it to get it to work. Also I have replaced 2 Reverb remote hose barbs they are quite delicate and snap if you look at them too hard.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Had a KS and reverb,

On proper wet gritty rides the KS will clog I a ride, need to figure some kind of guard... the reverb has never failed in a year and half of use. I think I'd always go reverb on choice having used both of those. cables maybe easier to set up and all but hydraulics of the reverb is just very reliable.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've had issues with two Reverb Stealths but my standard reverb has been faultless for about 4 years
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • pigglet
    thanks for all the replies folks. I decided to go with the Thomson as I know any sideways movement in a seat, however small would annoy the hell out of me and distract me so for better or worse I've gone cable operated.

The post quality seems really good but the destructions that came with it were rubbish with no mention of cable fitment. It also came with an inline adjuster which I guess allows you to alter cable tension and thus the rate of rise and descent but I didn't bother fitting this and just ran the cable straight from lever to post.

I'm really pleased with it and after a couple of rides I'm now glad I took the plunge (no pun intended!) to fit a dropper. The pivot is a bit shorter than most of my other bikes so being able to drop the seat makes more of a difference on it. I just need to suss out the "where to put the rear light" problem I have now created. DOH! Surely someone must do a seat rail mount???

Oh yeah, need to do something about the nonky XT gear indicator too as it stops me mounting the lever close enough to the grips.

P1010352_zps8swemmc3.jpg

P1010353_zpsdeumjlg5.jpg

P1010355_zpsf5lv67yn.jpg
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • stubs
    Unbolt the gear indicator on the XT it will let you move the lever closer. There should be a little round cover inside the shifter body that covers the hole left.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just need to suss out the "where to put the rear light" problem I have now created. DOH! Surely someone must do a seat rail mount???
    I just put mine round the static section above the clamp.

You could mount on a backpack if you use one, keeps it much cleaner.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pigglet
    Unbolt the gear indicator on the XT it will let you move the lever closer. There should be a little round cover inside the shifter body that covers the hole left.

Nope, not on mine. Had them off and had a look inside. I'll see if I can source some cover plates to replace thegaffer tape thats now covering the hole!
  • pigglet
    I just need to suss out the "where to put the rear light" problem I have now created. DOH! Surely someone must do a seat rail mount???
    I just put mine round the static section above the clamp.

You could mount on a backpack if you use one, keeps it much cleaner.

The only problem is that there is inly about 25mm of static post protruding from the seat tube and it's obscured from behind by the rear wheel. I have one on my camelbak but they keep vanishing or getting smashed! I'll have a look at the moon lights.

:)
  • stubs

Nope, not on mine. Had them off and had a look inside. I'll see if I can source some cover plates to replace thegaffer tape thats now covering the hole!

Perhaps Shimano have changed the design. I have made covers in the past a DVD box seemed to be the best to cut up as the plastic is flexible cuts easily and can be sanded and drilled.

I did these for an old set of LX shifters so I could fit a Rockshox Poploc fork lockout lever snugly.

4375441355_f827aa43d8_z.jpgP1000862 by Stuart, on Flickr
    4376187368_60f41282ec_z.jpgP1000861 by Stuart, on Flickr