Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• Good stuff from ddraver and laurentian there.
    I was a not very useful hooker at school, and developed a controversial technique of hooking with the 'wrong' foot, i.e., the one nearest the put-in, in order to try and nick oppo's feeds and to ensure I didn't lose my own.
    Dunno whether this has been adopted at the highest level yet? :wink:
  • Chogger
    Chogger Posts: 62
    My Brother played hooker he used to strike for the ball with both feet and had a pretty decent rate of taking them against the head. As a second/back row I only ever ventured into the front row once to try to keep away from going uncontested unfortunately after one scrum I was politely told to do one back to the second row as
    I was next to useless as a prop. it takes a special breed to play front row one of which I am not lol.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    Good stuff from ddraver and laurentian there.
    I was a not very useful hooker at school, and developed a controversial technique of hooking with the 'wrong' foot, i.e., the one nearest the put-in, in order to try and nick oppo's feeds and to ensure I didn't lose my own.
    Dunno whether this has been adopted at the highest level yet? :wink:

This is exactly what I do on the oppo put in (use the right leg for both if you see what I mean). 9 against the head in a match the week before last against a 22 year old gym monkey.

As I walked away from a scrummage when I had taken yet another, this kid was asked by his second row captain what the problem was and was expecting there to be a front row discussion on a technical aspect of scrum cadence or positioning, the lad answered "mate, he's just f***ing better than me" . . . This 50 year old was smiling for a week . . .

A great piece of advice given to me when I was about 19 (by a bloke who played for Italy "B") was that, on your own put in, always bind onto your loose head first and do so with the front of your chest firmly against the side of his. Then bind onto your tight head. When you then engage, although you can be "square" at the shoulders, your body is in a position angled toward the put in. Reverse it on the oppo's put in.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • aha jolly good - advice that comes 20-odd years too late in my case though

I was helped in my technique by being much shorter than both props so could adopt a sort of crouching position in the scrum rather than feet being well behind the head. Also needed to put little weight on non-hooking leg.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    FYI Rick - part of the reason the "hook" was abandoned was that it prevents the hooker pushing at all, resulting in a 7 v 8 man battle which at higher levels tends to result in the non-striking/hooking team pushing the other scrum back. Once you start going back it's very hard - near impossible in fact - to reverse it
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • 14. It had passed me by that Carter had passed Wilkinson.

Oh and in relation to English arrogance Australia will be considering cipriani's words today I am sure
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    14. It had passed me by that Carter had passed Wilkinson.

Oh and in relation to English arrogance Australia will be considering cipriani's words today I am sure

dear, dear, dear...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11906402/Not-one-Australia-player-is-good-enough-to-get-in-the-current-England-side-says-Danny-Cipriani.html :roll:
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • prb007
    Yeah, it's the English that are arrogant...

admitting it is the first step :wink:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    Yes but who in their right mind would listen to anything Cipriani had to say. He's only saying that to fire up the Aussies as he's bitter about his omission from the English squad.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Say it quietly, but this New Zealand team look beatable!!!
  • ddraver
    Oh well, I thought 6 and a half pages of sensible discussion was pretty good for a rugby thread. never mind
    - @ddraver
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I can see The England back row destroyed today at the breakdown and hit double digits for penalties and at least one yellow before half time

If Foley kicks his points Aus could be out of sight

But I fancy an England try or two from the back three or Joseph

Australia over 20 points scored by half time with England in the high teens, could be 12:22

But I think Aus back three will rip into England in the second half
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Every pundit backs an England win tonight. Not on any statistical comparison, not on track records, but simply because they have to win. I'm not sure having to win is an advantage in terms of preparation. Youngs is on record as saying, in effect, Aus will be mentally weaker because they have a get out in that they get another chance to qualify in a week's time.

It's a weird one. If Aus lose they have to beat the team that beat the team that beat them. Weird. But it's rugby.

I have no idea which way it will go. But what I do know is:

1. England lose : out.
    2. England win : then the Welsh would like 7+ please. Deny the Aussies a bonus point and we, in effect, start with a 7 point advantage. We then need only 1 to progress (and deny them the 4 try one).
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • stu-bim
    I fancy Scotland
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • stu-bim
    I fancy Scotland

Halftime, still fancy them

Skipped first pass to drag SA forwards across pitch all first half, now straight at them as they tire
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • ddraver
    Every pundit backs an England win tonight. Not on any statistical comparison, not on track records, but simply because they have to win. I'm not sure having to win is an advantage in terms of preparation. Youngs is on record as saying, in effect, Aus will be mentally weaker because they have a get out in that they get another chance to qualify in a week's time.

It's a weird one. If Aus lose they have to beat the team that beat the team that beat them. Weird. But it's rugby.

I have no idea which way it will go. But what I do know is:

1. England lose : out.
    2. England win : then the Welsh would like 7+ please. Deny the Aussies a bonus point and we, in effect, start with a 7 point advantage. We then need only 1 to progress (and deny them the 4 try one).

The trouble is that all of the pundits are English and want to support the team (plus they re also well aware which side of their bread is buttered and it's the side that generates maximum clickbait). I think it's no more than 50 50. I suspect that like last weekend it will come down to a moment of luck, individual brilliance or a mistake

Aus have beaten an out of form South Africa and the All Blacks who are peaking for a few weeks from now so i suspect that they arent quite as strong as they look but, they re the Aussies and they always do well at a world Cup so I suspect that it actually means nothing

I think Stu is correct in that the most important thing for England will be discipline at the break down. They let Wales back into the game 3 or 4 times last weekend, the Aussies will only need one.

I'm in one of those unpleasant situations where both head and heart cant decide
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Dive like that again, come back here in two weeks and play, not today
    \

:lol::lol::lol:

He's a good boy that Nigel....
    - @ddraver
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Currently sitting in the upper east stand at Twickenham, to be brutally honest I'm not feeling optimistic about England's chances this evening but sod it!!! I'm here and the atmosphere is building nicely.

Come on England!!
  • ddraver
    The one thing I really hoped England wouldn't do is choke...
    - @ddraver
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    Hahaha, Australia ripping the ra-ra's a new one. England are sad and pathetic, like rabbits in the headlights the fat lads, guy outside waiting for a pass and all they do is fall to ground. And these are international level rugby players, behave!
    Lancaster really is a joke of a coach, they've been an embarrassment this tournament.
    C'mon Australia 8)
  • tonyf34
    The one thing I really hoped England wouldn't do is choke...
    You can't choke if you don't have the skillset and know-how to start with, this England side is devoid of ideas and understanding of why they are getting ripped apart, same as for the coach
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Some really poor England play. Seem completely incapable to pass into hands, the scrum is getting mashed and they lose almost everything in the breakdown. Apart from that......
  • ddraver
    Aus better on every way, this will be a cricket score....
    - @ddraver
  • tonyf34
    We can see you sneaking out, fans had enough, not surprising, it's absolute dross, Australia have done well but have just done the basics right.
    Core skills of most of the players are utterly pants, game plan awful.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Shocking performance
  • prb007
    Shocking performance

Not if your Welsh, Irish or Scottish...then it was an ENTIRELY predictable result.... under experienced, over-hyped, believing their own press, England collapse...three quarters of the UK are laughing into their beer :lol:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153634450619344&set=o.1601718573382278&type=3
  • Genuinely gutted for England. I didn't think I would be.

Quality players wasted.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Shocking performance

Not if your Welsh, Irish or Scottish...then it was an ENTIRELY predictable result.... under experienced, over-hyped, believing their own press, England collapse...three quarters of the UK are laughing into their beer :lol:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153634450619344&set=o.1601718573382278&type=3

I said we would loose and we were too confident - but I hoped I was wrong :(
  • prb007