Wet feet

richrush
richrush Posts: 12
edited October 2015 in Commuting general
Hello, I'm sure this has been covered before but thought I would ask. My waterproof over shoe's, Endura, seem to leak, letting in water around the top which then runs down into my shoes. What do I do?

I'm wearing shorts at the moment as it's not cold, would waterproof trousers be the only answer as this will over lap the shoe covers, or a full set of mud guards? I have waterproof trousers but they make you very hot so not keen to put these on each time it rains a little or the roads are wet.

Any help would be much appreciated, o and the bike is going on is a Hibike xDuro Urban.

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• Nothing is ever 100% waterproof apart from skin, overtrousers are ok if its very cold and doing touring or something like that. For commuting i found full mudguards are best for wet weather, gives the overshoes a better chance of keeping out the water. You will also get water coming in through the cleat holes if there not sealed assuming you use cleats.

Thanks for your reply, yes I use cleats but the water isn't coming in the bottom. I could feel it running down my ankle this morning, bit disappointing that water gets in that way. Going to purchase a full set of mud guards right now!

Cheers
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    try some thin sealskin socks with your shoes that should stop you having wet feet.
  • The other option is something like these http://www.velotoze.com/ I can't vouch for them as I've not used them and longevity could be an issue.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use waterproof socks with a thin sock inside, you can't stop water running down your legs but the thin socks wick and hold any leakage and act like a wetsuite.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mudguards.

I think it's my frames tight geometry but I can ride over an hour in the pissing rain and still have dry socks using mudguards and overshoes.
  • Nothing is ever 100% waterproof apart from skin, overtrousers are ok if its very cold and doing touring or something like that. For commuting i found full mudguards are best for wet weather, gives the overshoes a better chance of keeping out the water. You will also get water coming in through the cleat holes if there not sealed assuming you use cleats.

Sorry to be the ars* who points this out but skin is not waterproof its the oils that are contained within your skin that keep it waterproof hence why if you sit in the bath for a while your hands and feet go all wrinkly this is because the oil (seabum) gets washed out of your glands on your skin. Hence why during WWI soldiers suffered from trench foot, feet that are constantly wet removing the protective oils from within the skin leaving them prone to infection. And i think you will find that Gortex is a very very good waterproof product provided you have Gortex money

Cheers :D :twisted:
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7