Last Film Watched

Comments

• Had a long haul flight the other week and watched:
    Terminator Genesis - was actually pretty good.
    Man up - I didn't fall asleep
    The age of Adeline - not too soppy.. ok fairly soppy.

The worst film I watched this year was Chappie - now I'm a big fan of South African Sci-fi, but this was utter tosh.

We seem to differ on a lot of things. I loved Chappie :D I think it also comes down to whether you like films with the gangster/outlaw aspect to them.

I haven't seen Genesis, but my parents said it was good. It is on the list of things to watch.
  • Snatch. Found the DVD hiding at the bottom of a drawer. Brilliant fun & very quotable.

FWIW I'm also ploughing my way through Sons of Anarchy via the Sky Box Set - up to series 5 at the moment. It's ridiculous in terms of plotlines but still really watchable.

You'll be surprised! While most Brits think it is rediculous, this kind of outlaw culture does exist in the states to a large degree. Not so ridiculous when you put it into the context of the U.S.

I've been really enjoying Sons of Anarchy, but a few of my friends parents were in the Hells Angels, so this culture is something I can relate to. I've only got a few more episodes before the end of season 7, and I don't want it to end. It is about the only thing that has held me together after my motorbike accident a few months ago where I was bedbound for quite some time.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Left Behind - An end of the world/apocalypse movie featuring that Jonah of Hollywood movies Nicolas Cage and no other recognisable actors. He plays the part of an airline captain, Ray Steele!!......Really? Even by his low standards of acting, his performance was woeful. The gist of the plot is that millions of people around the world just vanish into thin air, leaving behind their clothing and belongings (watches, rings et all). The claim is that they have been taken by god and given a place in heaven.
    When eventually the film reached its climax and wound down to an end it was rounded off with the most corny ending.
    Nick Cage - "My god! it looks like the end of the world"
    Unknown Actress playing his daugher - "No. This is just the beginning"

Verdict - Utter tripe.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Maidentrip

A documentary about the girl, Laura Dekker, who sailed around the world when she was 14-16. She is a truly inspirational girl and I'm sat here feeling inspired/humbled/wondering WTF I'm doing with my life. Much if it is filmed by her on the boat. Given that at 15yrs old I'd have thought Taking my dinghy around Plymouth Breakwater was an epic voyage to sail around the world (and she does it in a much less entitled way than the current crop of US rich kids trying it - though still, mega kudos to them)

I can't recommend it enough, it's on Netflix
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Left Behind - An end of the world/apocalypse movie featuring that Jonah of Hollywood movies Nicolas Cage and no other recognisable actors. He plays the part of an airline captain, Ray Steele!!......Really? Even by his low standards of acting, his performance was woeful. The gist of the plot is that millions of people around the world just vanish into thin air, leaving behind their clothing and belongings (watches, rings et all). The claim is that they have been taken by god and given a place in heaven.
    When eventually the film reached its climax and wound down to an end it was rounded off with the most corny ending.

Verdict - Utter tripe.

OK, now I'm confused. How did an anti-religious type like you end up watching crap like that?
  • mr_goo
    edited October 2015

Verdict - Utter tripe.

OK, now I'm confused. How did an anti-religious type like you end up watching crap like that?

I had no idea that the underlying message was a 'God Plot'. I am not one to Google every film before I watch it. But just have for this tripe. Turns out that Nic Cage's brother is a Christian Pastor and told him to do it. Jeez. It also appears to be labelled as a Christian movie! And now come to think of it I don't recall a single swear word. And the main scene of the film is in 1st class of a passenger plane, where there is one character from every demographic you can think of.. even a dwarf! or should I say vertically challenged human?.
    That'll learn me in future.
    Next on agenda is Thor The Dark World (Netflix). Should I research carefully in case there is a religious subplot?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I watched Napolean Dynamite the other day on DVD. My ex wife took all the DVD's when she left, so this and 2 others are the only ones remaining. I've watched Barber Shop recently, and while not a movie i'm currently dug into Sons of Anarchy on Netflix.
    Sorry to hear that MM, was the split recent?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn

Verdict - Utter tripe.
    Cage is one of the most prolific actors of all time, he churns out about 4/5 films a year, a staggering amount in Hollywood. I think I read somewhere he had some massive financial mismanagement problem so he just takes any film on offer to pay the bills.
  • seanoconn
    Started watching Ida last night until the Missus fell asleep and she doesn't even need the subtitles, not a good sign.
  • I watched Napolean Dynamite the other day on DVD. My ex wife took all the DVD's when she left, so this and 2 others are the only ones remaining. I've watched Barber Shop recently, and while not a movie i'm currently dug into Sons of Anarchy on Netflix.

It was in August this year, but i'm back on my feet now. I was laid up in bed with a broken collarbone and other problems at the same time, so I was saved by Netflix. That's why I haven't been on the site much over the last few months, simply no way to get on.

I will say, as much as it sucked, i'm happy it happened.
  • seanoconn
    I watched Napolean Dynamite the other day on DVD. My ex wife took all the DVD's when she left, so this and 2 others are the only ones remaining. I've watched Barber Shop recently, and while not a movie i'm currently dug into Sons of Anarchy on Netflix.

It was in August this year, but i'm back on my feet now. I was laid up in bed with a broken collarbone and other problems at the same time, so I was saved by Netflix. That's why I haven't been on the site much over the last few months, simply no way to get on.

I will say, as much as it sucked, i'm happy it happened.
    I thought you hadn't been about much. If its not meant to be its not meant to be. I'm glad you're back on your feet and you're plenty young enough for another few cracks at marriage. :wink: all the best with the divorce MM
  • seanoconn
    Started watching Ida last night until the Missus fell asleep and she doesn't even need the subtitles, not a good sign.
    Managed to complete the film. Watchable but surprised it won an Oscar for best foreign language film, must have been a lean year.
  • mr_goo
    Horns - Daniel Radcliffe with an unconvincing American accent. Despite that I quite enjoyed the film and do think that Harry Potter is a much underrated actor and it will take quite a while for him to rid himself of that shackle. Downside it had yet another religious undertone. I just can't get a break.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Watched Under the skin the other night on Film4. Absolute garbage but with Scarlett Johansson's bum, nips and lady garden all on show makes it my film of the decade.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Sixteen Candles

John Hughes film of the eighties with good music too,he did some great work.
  • finchy
    I had no idea that the underlying message was a 'God Plot'. I am not one to Google every film before I watch it. But just have for this tripe.

Ah, Ok, I thought that most people were aware of what Left Behind is. My little bro used to go out with an American evangelical - one of the really crazy denominations - and she bought him a copy of the book to try and convince him to convert. I think sales of the Left Behind series of books stand at around 70 million, which is why I thought you would have heard of it.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Sixteen Candles

John Hughes film of the eighties with good music too,he did some great work.

Hughe's 80s work is Amazing :D Breakfast Club will always be in my top 10!!

Paper Towns
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3622592/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Interested to see how this would translate from the book. Not a bad little teen angst movie.

The Overnight
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3844362/
    Awesome cast but sadly a let down. First time I haven't thoroughly enjoyed Jason Schwartzman.

Inside Out
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2096673/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Pixar. Awesome. Fun.

Edit:

Forgot…

Dope
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3850214/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    A bit daft and OTT ... but pretty funny.
    tick - tick - tick
  • ddraver
    I had no idea that the underlying message was a 'God Plot'. I am not one to Google every film before I watch it. But just have for this tripe.

Ah, Ok, I thought that most people were aware of what Left Behind is. My little bro used to go out with an American evangelical - one of the really crazy denominations - and she bought him a copy of the book to try and convince him to convert. I think sales of the Left Behind series of books stand at around 70 million, which is why I thought you would have heard of it.

I'm actually quite surprised to find out it's a real film, I thought it was just a Simpsons episode...
    - @ddraver
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    The Proposition,Nick Cave film,I had been told about it,and had recorded it on my freeview box and never got round to watching it,don't know why it had taken so long,gritty and powerful but bloody good
  • I watched VHS2 on film 4 last night. I didn't really feel like watching a film but caught the first 10 minutes of this and got sucked in. I'm not even a big fan of horror films but couldn't stop watching.
    If you can stomach a truly gruesome horror movie then this should suit you fine.
  • I really enjoyed chappie. I like the sci fi coming out or South Africa.

Guardians of the galaxy was surprisingly great
    I have watched a few oldies as of late.

Old Boy
    Amoures Perros was amazing

etc etc
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • metronome
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582496/

Really nice film. It's hard not to compare it with The Fault in Our Stars (read not seen), but M&E&TDG is a quirkier, deeper story.
    tick - tick - tick
  • finchy

I'm actually quite surprised to find out it's a real film, I thought it was just a Simpsons episode...

Well, now you know better you can go and buy it. I've heard it's a great film...
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Macbeth.

Go see it in the cinema. Off you go.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    edited October 2015
    The Walk (3D)

As a film it was slightly above OK, however the CGI work for the high wire walk between the twin towers was astoundingly good, there were moments of the walk that made my testicles shrivel!!

Definitely a film that if you want to see it then see it on the big screen.
  • Everest 3D just last week. Amazing. Especially if, like me, you've done a spot of climbing. No fancy-arse Hollywood treatment a la Cliffhanger. Just a simple retelling of a true story. Very faithfully done as I've also read "Into Thin Air" about the same ill-fated expedition. Highly recommend both.
  • metronome
    …However the CGI work for the high wire walk between the twin towers was astoundingly good...

Just been reading the VFX breakdown of that shot:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/step-by-step-a-walkthrough-of-the-walk/?hootPostID=47820db4b7298c262f701a11622355f3
    tick - tick - tick
  • finchy
    Miami Magma last night on Movies4Men. They obviously had a special FX budget to rival that of Hammer Horror/early Dr Who, but lacked anyone who could write to the same level or act well enough to save a poor script. Terrible, terrible film, nearly as bad as that Weather Wars flick that the same channel keeps screening.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Macbeth.

Go see it in the cinema. Off you go.

Seen it. The plot was not difficult to follow but I confess the dialogue mainly washed over me.

Now I'm contemplating whether it's OK or even desirable to see The Program.
  • ddraver
    I'm poorly sick so i ve had a film day today (all illeagal streams)

Southpaw - In some ways a typical boxing movie. from the first scene you can work out the story line, but despite that it's a good watch. Even for a film cynic like me, the acting is fantastic and the cinematography of the fight scenes, especially the "headcam" shots are great. Recommended "Boys" movie

Paper Towns - so i suppose I only watched this because it's that one with Cara Delevigne in but it's ok. A fairly typical teen "finding himself" movie although not as cliche as some. A good movie to watch with a cold. Recommended "trying to get a lay when you re a teen/student" movie
    - @ddraver