CX riding in Ayrshire

sopworth
sopworth Posts: 191
edited October 2015 in Cyclocross
Hi
Does anyone live in Ayrshire and do CX riding?
I'm moving to Ayr next month and looking at CX riding opportunities in the area.
I will be joining one of the local clubs shortly after getting there, so I'll be seeking local knowledge then but, in the meantime, does anyone do any CX riding up there?
My wife is busting my beans to reduce the number of bikes I have (although i've dragged it out too long now, we have to take them with us), and the CX bike was looking like losing but i'm desperate to have some good rides near by so I can use the bike rather than constantly opting for my road bike.
Thanks
S

Comments

• rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Hi
    Does anyone live in Ayrshire and do CX riding?
    I'm moving to Ayr next month and looking at CX riding opportunities in the area.
    I will be joining one of the local clubs shortly after getting there, so I'll be seeking local knowledge then but, in the meantime, does anyone do any CX riding up there?
    My wife is busting my beans to reduce the number of bikes I have (although i've dragged it out too long now, we have to take them with us), and the CX bike was looking like losing but i'm desperate to have some good rides near by so I can use the bike rather than constantly opting for my road bike.
    Thanks
    S

Hi

There are a fair number of CX riders in Ayrshire - I dabble a bit and do the odd event - but pretty rubbish tbh

There is a nightime meet (I think last year it was Tuesday or Thursday evening at Fullerton woods near Troon(lights essential) Not sure if it has started yet - I'll find out and let you know

I'm with Ayr Roads and we have a number of CX riders who compete. Ayr Burners (a relatively new club ) also have quite a few, as do Walkers Cycle club (who are based North of Kilmarnock)

Incidentally, the Scottish Champs are being held at Irvine this year

Robert
  • sopworth
    Robert,
    Thank you for the reply.
    I take it there are plenty of areas locally to ride CX routes as such?
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Rozelle Park in Alloway is a good place to take your bike or you could throw it in the car and use some of the trails down at straiton (12 miles away)
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I'd speak to Neil Walker at Walkers Cycling-will be able to point you in the right direction.
    Plenty of good riding about
  • sopworth
    Thanks for the info guys. Very useful.