Jockey wheel

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited October 2015 in Workshop
I guys I have tried to remove my campag jockey wheels to clean them and one bolt has rounded off,
any ideals how to remove it ?
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They could be alloy with a Torx thread - using an Allen key will round the head. A thread extractor might work thereafter only option is to drill through the head and use some Mole grips on the remaining screw and replace.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Remove the other bolt and turn the cage, then the other one will come loose.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Remove the other bolt and turn the cage, then the other one will come loose.
    worked a treat thanks
    @monty I have taken them out before so they are hex keys, its just that the bottom one you cant get on it straight so it has worn.
    Thanks for the info guys
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Remember to put some thread lock (Loctite 243 or similar) on the bolt -- I forgot to do this and had the fun of an 'exploding' derailleur a long way from home, and I've seen it happen to others too.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Only happed once to me in 40 years and because I forgot to tighten the bolt....
    Really no need for exessive stuff...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I managed to round the hex sockets on both jockey wheel bolts on my 105 rear mech. Not sure what went wrong; they had been removed several times previously. Crap allen keys probably...

Anyhoo, when I'd priced up a bolt extractor, replacement bolts and jockey wheels, it was cheaper to bin the thing and buy a new mech. And given that it was 8 years / 7 winters old, that's what I did.

Who doesn't like shiny new stuff? New rear mech, cassette and chain. It's like having a new bike!