Ultegra 11-32 (11 speed) - Useful gears

ThomasFH
ThomasFH Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Workshop
I have a cannondale synapse road bike with Ultegra 6800 setup. The cog is 11-32 (11 speed). When I use the largest chain ring together with the 3rd rear sprocket (gear number 14) the chain is rubbing against the outer plate of the front derailleur cage. I am aware of the fact that this could be an issue With the largest and maybe the second largest sprocket (gear number 12 and 13), but not with sprocket two and three. Is this something that can be fixed or do I have to "forget" gear 12,13 and 14?

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Are you using the 'trimming' function on the front mech. A half shift down on the left shifter will move the mech cage slightly, not enough to change rings but enough to stop some of the rubbing
  • Are you using the 'trimming' function on the front mech. A half shift down on the left shifter will move the mech cage slightly, not enough to change rings but enough to stop some of the rubbing

I dont see how that would help. It would if the chain were rubbing against the inner plate of the cage, but it is rubbing against the outer.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Sounds to me like the front derailleur cable might be slack when in the smaller chain ring. The FD is not moving sufficiently when going from small to large chain ring, check the cable tension when on the small chain ring and that the FD is moving as far out as it can.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • If it's rubbing in the large chainring and the largest cogs at the rear, and it's rubbing on the outer edge of the FD how does it not rub in every gear? It surely would as you move down the cassette. Are you definately moving the shifter all the way , ie not just moving it to the trim position.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Sound like the FD isn't set properly. Could be cable tension. Could be misaligned. Could be both.

Try this set up tutorial in this thread
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12976309
  • I have the same exact experience with the Ultegra 6800 set up. My bike is BMC slr 02 2014. I have 52/36 chain ring and 11-32 cassette, I have also used 11_28 but it was the same thing. In the search of a solution I changed RD from ss to gs. To no avail. In the end I discovered that it is nothing wrong with the RD or the FD. It all has to do with the chain. Take a look at this viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13036117
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    It's unclear which sprockets the OP is referring to. Assuming he means that the chain is rubbing the outer cage when trying to use the outer most sprockets on the cassette and the mech is correctly set up, my bet is also on too little cable tension. This means that you can't get the shifter to click onto it's outer most setting, resulting in chain rub. The new generation of 11-speed front mechs are notorious for needing a lot of cable tension to be dialled-in to work across their full range.
  • If I understand OP correctly, it was like this in my case and still is to a degree, he can use 11 and 12 sprocket without an issue but the next two or three sprockets are the ones that are producing noise. I would suggest OP to check if indeed the chain is rubbing on FD because it may sound like it is rubbing but in fact it is not. In my case everything was set up ok including a trim function and no amount of toying with FD or RD would change a thing.
    In my quest for a solution I have change RD, cassette, wheelset but nothing would help. Except for the first cca. 500 km after the chain change, drive train was - is noise. I have been using Ultegra chains, old and new design, but will change to KMC next time around.
  • Thank you for all Your feedback! I used a hour in my "workshop" last night and I think I have solved the issue. The front cable were a bit loose. Once I had fixed that the rubbing were not against the outer plate of the FD Cage, but the inner. That could, as proposed here, be fixed by the index system. It sounded great (i.e. no sound at all :D ), at least in the workshop. I am looking forward to take it out on the road for a test.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Glad you got it sorted out. I've often heard that Ultegra does not work in every combination without issues but I have never had them. I've got 11-32 and all 22 gears work perfectly on my Cannondale but I'm not sure that I can envisage a situation where I would ever need to use them all. Same for the 20 speed Tiagra on my other bike. That said, I can't help thinking that cross chaining could put undue stress on the frame and components but I'm certainly no engineer (or even decent bike mechanic) so may well be talking carp.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)