New wheelset and thin ring, says 9/10spd - now fitted

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited October 2015 in Workshop
afternoon all, got a replacement set of Vision Trimax T35's under warranty at the weekend and in the bag with the skewers was a thin alloy ring that says for 9/10spd on it.

now assuming its for the free hub, but where does it go?

as i took the cassette off the damaged wheel and when placed on the new hub there are little cutouts for the rivets to sit in, so if i put the ring on before the cassette it wont tighten/locate properly.

the cassette has a main part, then 3 separate gears and the locking ring but already had a spacer marked 10spd so i just reused that, as it was on the old wheel. that is the only place i could see it being fitted.

done 20odd miles with no issues on it yesterday, but thought i would ask in case it needs to be fitted as i dont want to knacker a new expensive set of wheels!

cheers.
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• It goes on the freehub first, then the cassette. Sounds like your previous freehub already had one though...
  • fudgey
    Checked the old free hub and no ring.

This is the rivet i was on about, it sits in a cutout part of the new free hub, therefore if the ring was put on first the three rivets would sit against the ring, and to me thats not right.

image_zpskcxxwuhr.jpeg

image_zpse5cr5lxm.jpeg

Dont know if you can see the bit im on about..
  • Not all cassettes need the extra spacer. I have a 10 speed tiagra that doesn't need one.
    Geoff
  • fudgey
    Ah ok, cheers.

well it works as it is, so i guess ill leave it.

cheers :D
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I assume you're running shimano?

The old wheel/freehub was designed for 8/9/10 speed cassettes - before 11 speed was around. The new wheel/freehub is designed for 11 speed - the freehub is 1.85mm longer to accommodate an 11 speed cassette. When used with a 8/9/10 speed cassette you need the extra spacer supplied with the wheels (in addition to the 1mm 10 speed spacer supplied with the cassette) to fill the 1/85mm extra length.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fudgey
    I assume you're running shimano?

The old wheel/freehub was designed for 8/9/10 speed cassettes - before 11 speed was around. The new wheel/freehub is designed for 11 speed - the freehub is 1.85mm longer to accommodate an 11 speed cassette. When used with a 8/9/10 speed cassette you need the extra spacer supplied with the wheels (in addition to the 1mm 10 speed spacer supplied with the cassette) to fill the 1/85mm extra length.

Ah i see, cheers, ill take the cassette off and have another look. Yes using shimano.

Ill get the very near gauge out and measure both hubs. Im still not convinced that it will will need the spacer due to the rivets on the cassette.
    Also the other 10speed spacer is much more than 1mm, it was thicker than the ring i am on about.
    Also all gears seemed to work ok as it is?
    Still, for peace of mind ill take it off and have a look.

Cheers
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    It looks like you are running a tiagra 10 speed cassette these do not need a spacer when fitted to 10 speed freehubs and only need one spacer when fitted on 11 speed freehub. I have a set of wheels with the same setup (11 speed freehub) and only needed the one spacer for them to work. Been using them for about a year with no problems. Just examined cassette/ freehub and looks exactly like your pics.
  • fudgey
    Ah thanks, yes thinking about it now it has 105 cranks and front/rear mech but like you say it didnt say it was a 105 cassette, so more than likely tiagra.

Ill still have another look when i get chance tho.

Cheers.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    For clarity: there are two spacers. One is thick (1.85mm) and is for use on 11-speed hubs when using (any) 10-speed Shimano cassette. The other is thin (<1mm) and is for use on 9/10 *and* 11-speed hubs when using 5700 (105), 6700 (Ultegra) and 7900 (Dura-Ace) 10-speed cassettes.

For 10-speed cassettes on an 11-speed hub, if your cassette is 4600 (Tiagra) 10-speed, then you only need the 1.85mm spacer. If it is any of the other Shimano types, you need both spacers. In all cases the spacer(s) go on the freehub before you fit the cassette.

For a 10-speed cassette on a 10-speed hub, you use no spacers at all for a 4600 cassette, and just the thin spacer for other Shimano 10-speed cassettes.

For 11-speed cassettes on 11-speed hubs, you use no spacers.

The cassette lock-ring carries the model number, as do the cogs themselves.
  • fudgey
    Just been out having another look at this as cycled to work today and it was not changing gear that well on the smaller gears and noticed that the limit stops didnt line up. I guess on the few times i have used the bike i have not used biggest nor smallest to actually notice while riding.

Anyway, I took the cassette off snd measured the depth of the free hub using the very near guage. On the old wheel it was 35mm on the new one 37mm. This little ring i was on about is just under 2mm, so 1.85mm like mentioned above.

I fitted this to the free hub, then the cassette. It still doesnt look right to me, but i tightened it anyway and as suspected, its bent the ring where the rivets of the cassette are. But it all seemed to line up once back on the bike. A bit of fettling with the indexing and fingers crossed all is well. Not ridden the bike tho, so time will tell.

Here is what i mean with the rivets against the ring.

image_zpss6orzxxn.jpeg