Moving to Usk

Rodders38
Rodders38 Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in MTB general
Morning all
I'm moving to Usk on the next few weeks from the good old Peak District. I'll have a severe lack of cycling buddies down that way and I'm not exactly the greatest with senses of direction, anybody willing to show me a few rides round the area? XC and not ridiculously techy downhill is my cup of tea.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Morning all
    I'm moving to Usk on the next few weeks from the good old Peak District. I'll have a severe lack of cycling buddies down that way and I'm not exactly the greatest with senses of direction, anybody willing to show me a few rides round the area? XC and not ridiculously techy downhill is my cup of tea.

Well, from there you're not too far from Cwmcarn with it's 2 XC and 2 DH trails (although Twrch is mostly closed ATM due to felling operations). Some decent natural riding around Blaenavon (search for "The Blorenge") and Crickhowell (see MTB Brecon Beacons).

There's an MTB club called "The Grannies Ring" based in Pontypool, which is fairly close - try getting in contact with them, as there's nothing like local knowledge.
  • There's decent stuff in Wentwood and Chepstow park woods, takes a bit of exploring though. You also have forest of Dean, cwmcarn and bike park wales not too far away, also it's not too much of a drive to the brecon beacons.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I live in Pontypool mate, which is a 10 minute drive away. give us a shout, there's a good biking scene in the area. there's also a club called usk vale wheelers. more roadie, but they do mtb too :D
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    You're not far from Black Mountain Cycle Center either, well worth a visit.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Thanks all, much appreciated. I'll certainly give you a shout when I'm down there, I think I've been through pontypool before. That's just the other side of Caerleon if I'm right?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Thanks all, much appreciated. I'll certainly give you a shout when I'm down there, I think I've been through pontypool before. That's just the other side of Caerleon if I'm right?

sort of, but the quickest way to Pontypool, you wouldn't go through caerleon. plus, there's not a lot there so you wouldn't necessarily know you've driven through there :lol: