9speed to 11speed

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited October 2015 in Road general
Hi all would I need to change the hub on a Defy 3 sora model it currently has 9 on the back but fancy a new group set for the bike and the new 105 is very cheap.
I've read conflicting messages saying if it can take 10 it normally fits 11 too?!?
Thanks Graeme

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    depends on the hub itself. the spacing is narrower between gears and there is a (just over 1mm-1.8mm) difference in overall widths of where the cassette goes. it makes a difference.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you are going from Sora to 105 I would have thought new wheels would make a lot of sense too.

Personally I would change the wheels before the groupset anyway.
  • Hi all would I need to change the hub on a Defy 3 sora model it currently has 9 on the back but fancy a new group set for the bike and the new 105 is very cheap.
    I've read conflicting messages saying if it can take 10 it normally fits 11 too?!?

Not true. Freehubs are normally 8/9/10 and only more recently 8/9/10/11. So if it takes 9 then it'll almost certainly take 10, but the same is not true of 11.

What wheels do you have? That'll help determine if it'll fit. As said above however, if you're still running your stock wheelset then investing in a good new wheelset is a more important upgrade than the groupset.